“Spa day”
Review of Matfen Hall

Matfen Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Matfen
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We purchased a voucher from living social for a spa day and so pleased we didn't pay full price!!The pool area and sauna etc were in desperate need of refurbishment,we also had lunch there and decided to eat in the conservetary when we went for lunch the staff totally ignored us and we had to ask we're to sit and if we could have a menu we were still waiting 35 mins later so decided to leave and eat near the pool area.The full body massage we had was wonderful and the staff in the beauty room were lovely.On leaving we handed our robes back in and the girl on the desk was so busy on the phone to someone else talking about what times she was working that week that she mooned for us to put the robes down on the side.Would definitely not go back again was really disappointed when we expected to have such a lovely day!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
BernieBloodworth, General Manager at Matfen Hall, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Dear Guest

I was disappointed to read your comments, following your recent Spa day with us and would like to extend my sincere apologies for the lack of service you received from my team.

I would be happy to discuss the problems you encountered further with you and would ask that you contact me direct at the hotel.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Matfen Hall Hotel Golf & Spa

Write a ReviewReviews (1,573)

Reviewed October 28, 2012

We arrived early for a secret escapes 2 night deal B&B, our room was ready at 1pm, We ate lunch in the conservatory which was served very well and tasted lovely. Our room was spotless and well equipped, very comfy bed and quite night. We ate both nights in Keepers which is the golfing lodge, lovely staff here and the food was wonderful. This is a real secret escapes in a lovely setting. Hexham and Corbridge are both worth a visit. We had very nice weather which was a bonus in October but will definatley return. Thank you to all concerned

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
BernieBloodworth, General Manager at Matfen Hall, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your views following your recent stay at Matfen Hall.

I am delighted you had such an enjoyable stay and were able to explore some of the local area during your stay.

I will ensure your kind words are relayed to the staff in the Keepers Lodge and I hope you will have the opportunity to return to Matfen Hall in the near future.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed on the 23rd and 24th October.
Good value for money if you happened to get a special Secret-Escape tariff. However, I would not have been happy if paying the usual hotel rate.
The Spa area is looking tired and shabby, the steam room was badly designed being cold at the bottom, below the level of about 3 feet. There is no water fountain in the sauna area, which is very amiss of the hotel. The only water available was in the pool area and was just a trickle..
We were not given bath robes to take through to the Spa (this was a new policy introduced 2 days before we arrived) Robes now only available if on a Spa Break. There are no robes in the bedrooms.
The Classic Room was very nice and spotlessly clean. We slept reasonably well and there was good sound proofing between the rooms.
Breakfast on the first morning was very good, we had the Matfen Breakfast. The second morning was disappointing however, with the Eggs Florentine being very poor.
The setting is lovely and if you play Golf then the course fee is extremely reasonable.
Most of the staff were helpful and polite.
Would we stay again? Yes if on a special deal....

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
BernieBloodworth, General Manager at Matfen Hall, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Dear Guest

Further to your comments, following your recent stay at Matfen Hall, we are currently working on all aspects of our Spa and changes are being made, some of which will be visible quicker than others.

I can confirm a new water fountain has been installed this week and we are awaiting a new delivery of bath robes.

Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed here for one night whilst travelling to the North East to visit family. I booked it on the Secret Escapes website at a reasonable £59, I did however get £15 discount off the website, which meant the stay in total was £44 for 2 people, bed and breakfast. Unbelievable price for what we got. The hotel is located in a secluded, ideal setting for a quiet, romantic get away, yet, it is a simple 10 minute drive from Hexham.

Paying as little as I did, I wasn't expecting much in terms of room, however, the 'Classic' room which we were allocated was of excellent size and quality. Very clean, modern and well appointed.

Included in our stay was full use of the leisure facilities. The pool and spa facilities were excellent and weren't too crowded. In fitting with the rest of the hotel, the leisure facilities were fresh and relaxing. The staff were very helpful too.

I would definitely recommend eating at the Keepers Lodge if you prefer good pub grub at a very reasonable price. The breakfast was of excellent quality, although, very limited choice and not very large portions, however, there is as much juice, fruit, cereal and toast as you can manage!

Overall, I was extremely impressed with the quality of the hotel and facilities on offer. I will definitely be stopping here again and would be more than happy paying the regular rates.

Dear Guest

It was great to read your comments on our trip advisor website, following your recent stay at Matfen Hall and I am delighted you were able to make such good use of the hotel’s facilities during your stay.

I note your comments regarding breakfast and I shall review this with my team and where improvements are necessary, these will be implemented, to ensure our high standards of service are maintained.

Thank you again.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

We arrived for our one night stay about an hour before check-in on a Sunday, this wasn't a problem and we were given our room straight away. The reception staff were friendly and helpful, telling us how to find our room, asking if we would like to book a table for dinner and notifying us of the spa opening hours etc.
Our room was a 'classic', in the newer part of the hotel. It was very clean, spacious, well decorated and not at all 'tired' as i have read in previous reviews. A huge flat screen TV with 'free-view' channels came as standard. Tea and coffee facilities were great, with mugs rather than tea cups which I prefer, and included hot chocolate and Rington's tea and coffee. Mineral water was supplied in the fridge and you could ask for this to be stocked with the usual mini-bar products if you wished.Fluffy bathrobes were provided which we used to go to the spa. The bed was big and comfortable, with plenty of pillows/cushions and extra throws in the wardrobes.

We enjoyed the spa on both the Sunday and Monday of our stay; the fire and ice section is great, thoroughly relaxing and not overly busy. The jacuzzi was lovely and warm, as was the heated pool. Lockers, changing rooms and individual showers with shower gel and shampoo as well as hairdryers, big mirrors and lotion all make the experience so much more comfortable. Towels were available as you entered the spa so no need to take your own down from your room. The juice bar serves an excellent selection of smoothies, milkshakes, coffees etc and is reasonably priced with great staff.

We dined in the Keeper's Lodge on the Sunday evening which was thoroughly enjoyable with a good range of options on the menu. The staff were more than happy to help and were very accommodating allowing us to substitute preferred options into our meals without a problem.
After dinner we decided to curl up in front of the roaring fire in the area by the Library dining room on the lovely sofas/arm chairs and ordered drinks there from the waiting staff without a problem, despite the fact we weren't dining there.

Breakfast was included in our stay and was lovely, not just your standard full english but plenty of choice with the option to include continental foods too. It was very busy when we arrived at the Library but instead of keeping us waiting the diligent staff organised to set up another room to minimise our wait, which was greatly appreciated. The service was fantastic.

I would return to Matfen Hall tomorrow! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review, following your recent stay at Matfen Hall. I know my team will be delighted with your kind words and there is no greater reward for them, then receiving such a glowing review of their work – thank you!

I hope you will be able to join us again soon.

Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is wonderful from the the moment you arrive. Staff always friendly and helpful. We were at a lovefitness weekend so there was a big group of us. Even though the hotel was full with wedding guests nothing was to much trouble. The rooms were clean spa well received by all. Thank you to reception staff who gave a lovely welcome. Well done matfen hall

• Stayed: October 2012

Dear Guest

I am pleased you enjoyed your recent ‘Love Fitness’ weekend at Matfen Hall and I thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us.

I do hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back to Matfen Hall in the very near future.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed here as part of the secret escapes deal, for one night on a Sunday. We arrived a little early but this was no problem. The check-in staff were very friendly, the man who checked us in only explained where the room was, but was happy to answer questions about the leisure facilities etc. The room was a decent size, the bathroom was very nice, but the furnishings are getting a little old and could do with some sprucing up - one of the little decorative bed cushions had a few stains on. We unpacked and went straight to the spa. It's small, but quite nice, and a nice touch in a hotel this size. Be warned - the kids come in at around 4pm after school. We had dinner in the Library, the setting was very nice if a little quiet. The food was decent but lacked something in flavours and quality. The staff were very friendly and professional, but after dinner we had wanted tea and chocolates, but we were left waiting for 15 minutes so we decided to just head back to the room and get some of the chocolates that are advertised all over the hotel. We headed to reception where Jessica told us there weren't any made up. I felt a bit like we'd annoyed her which was a shame, especially as they're advertised absolutely everywhere. In the end my other half went to the Library to ask if they had any there and they had some made up - which was really nice of them. They were very nice too! If a little pricey...
There was no wifi that we could use in the newer part of the hotel - only a cable to plug into a computer which is no good on a mobile phone. There's also almost no phone signal.

Room Tip: The older part of the hotel would probably be ideal for an extra special break - apparently room 14...