“Quality Overnight Stay”
Review of Matfen Hall

Matfen Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Matfen
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed here for one night whilst travelling to the North East to visit family. I booked it on the Secret Escapes website at a reasonable £59, I did however get £15 discount off the website, which meant the stay in total was £44 for 2 people, bed and breakfast. Unbelievable price for what we got. The hotel is located in a secluded, ideal setting for a quiet, romantic get away, yet, it is a simple 10 minute drive from Hexham.

Paying as little as I did, I wasn't expecting much in terms of room, however, the 'Classic' room which we were allocated was of excellent size and quality. Very clean, modern and well appointed.

Included in our stay was full use of the leisure facilities. The pool and spa facilities were excellent and weren't too crowded. In fitting with the rest of the hotel, the leisure facilities were fresh and relaxing. The staff were very helpful too.

I would definitely recommend eating at the Keepers Lodge if you prefer good pub grub at a very reasonable price. The breakfast was of excellent quality, although, very limited choice and not very large portions, however, there is as much juice, fruit, cereal and toast as you can manage!

Overall, I was extremely impressed with the quality of the hotel and facilities on offer. I will definitely be stopping here again and would be more than happy paying the regular rates.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
BernieBloodworth, General Manager at Matfen Hall, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Dear Guest

It was great to read your comments on our trip advisor website, following your recent stay at Matfen Hall and I am delighted you were able to make such good use of the hotel’s facilities during your stay.

I note your comments regarding breakfast and I shall review this with my team and where improvements are necessary, these will be implemented, to ensure our high standards of service are maintained.

Thank you again.

There are newer reviews for Matfen Hall

Reviewed October 23, 2012

We arrived for our one night stay about an hour before check-in on a Sunday, this wasn't a problem and we were given our room straight away. The reception staff were friendly and helpful, telling us how to find our room, asking if we would like to book a table for dinner and notifying us of the spa opening hours etc.
Our room was a 'classic', in the newer part of the hotel. It was very clean, spacious, well decorated and not at all 'tired' as i have read in previous reviews. A huge flat screen TV with 'free-view' channels came as standard. Tea and coffee facilities were great, with mugs rather than tea cups which I prefer, and included hot chocolate and Rington's tea and coffee. Mineral water was supplied in the fridge and you could ask for this to be stocked with the usual mini-bar products if you wished.Fluffy bathrobes were provided which we used to go to the spa. The bed was big and comfortable, with plenty of pillows/cushions and extra throws in the wardrobes.

We enjoyed the spa on both the Sunday and Monday of our stay; the fire and ice section is great, thoroughly relaxing and not overly busy. The jacuzzi was lovely and warm, as was the heated pool. Lockers, changing rooms and individual showers with shower gel and shampoo as well as hairdryers, big mirrors and lotion all make the experience so much more comfortable. Towels were available as you entered the spa so no need to take your own down from your room. The juice bar serves an excellent selection of smoothies, milkshakes, coffees etc and is reasonably priced with great staff.

We dined in the Keeper's Lodge on the Sunday evening which was thoroughly enjoyable with a good range of options on the menu. The staff were more than happy to help and were very accommodating allowing us to substitute preferred options into our meals without a problem.
After dinner we decided to curl up in front of the roaring fire in the area by the Library dining room on the lovely sofas/arm chairs and ordered drinks there from the waiting staff without a problem, despite the fact we weren't dining there.

Breakfast was included in our stay and was lovely, not just your standard full english but plenty of choice with the option to include continental foods too. It was very busy when we arrived at the Library but instead of keeping us waiting the diligent staff organised to set up another room to minimise our wait, which was greatly appreciated. The service was fantastic.

I would return to Matfen Hall tomorrow! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review, following your recent stay at Matfen Hall. I know my team will be delighted with your kind words and there is no greater reward for them, then receiving such a glowing review of their work – thank you!

I hope you will be able to join us again soon.

Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is wonderful from the the moment you arrive. Staff always friendly and helpful. We were at a lovefitness weekend so there was a big group of us. Even though the hotel was full with wedding guests nothing was to much trouble. The rooms were clean spa well received by all. Thank you to reception staff who gave a lovely welcome. Well done matfen hall

• Stayed: October 2012

Dear Guest

I am pleased you enjoyed your recent ‘Love Fitness’ weekend at Matfen Hall and I thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us.

I do hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back to Matfen Hall in the very near future.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed here as part of the secret escapes deal, for one night on a Sunday. We arrived a little early but this was no problem. The check-in staff were very friendly, the man who checked us in only explained where the room was, but was happy to answer questions about the leisure facilities etc. The room was a decent size, the bathroom was very nice, but the furnishings are getting a little old and could do with some sprucing up - one of the little decorative bed cushions had a few stains on. We unpacked and went straight to the spa. It's small, but quite nice, and a nice touch in a hotel this size. Be warned - the kids come in at around 4pm after school. We had dinner in the Library, the setting was very nice if a little quiet. The food was decent but lacked something in flavours and quality. The staff were very friendly and professional, but after dinner we had wanted tea and chocolates, but we were left waiting for 15 minutes so we decided to just head back to the room and get some of the chocolates that are advertised all over the hotel. We headed to reception where Jessica told us there weren't any made up. I felt a bit like we'd annoyed her which was a shame, especially as they're advertised absolutely everywhere. In the end my other half went to the Library to ask if they had any there and they had some made up - which was really nice of them. They were very nice too! If a little pricey...
There was no wifi that we could use in the newer part of the hotel - only a cable to plug into a computer which is no good on a mobile phone. There's also almost no phone signal.

Room Tip: The older part of the hotel would probably be ideal for an extra special break - apparently room 14...

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at Matfen Hall.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the problems you experienced in gaining some of our chocolates after dinner. Jessica has also asked me to pass on her apologies to you.

All of your comments have been noted and I will review these internally with my team and where necessary improvements will be made.

Thank you again for your comments, I do value all feedback and I hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back to Matfen Hall in the near future.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Just returned from a fitness break weekend at the Hall. Good facilities, good instructors, good company. Staff friendly and helpful however food for our group really let down the weekend. I am diabetic and could not find too much to get excited about. I mean vegetable stir fry and a very dry apple fruit salad for our evening meal. Come on chef surely there could have been some cost effective, inventive healthy eating options that could have been provided. I left my main course and was not offered anything else at all. I fully endorse Christine in all of her comments as we attended the break together. This has certainly put me off going to Matfen Hall in the future but perhaps if not part of an organised group more food (which I could eat) would be available. Such a shame a hotel of this calibre was let down by the food.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
BernieBloodworth, General Manager at Matfen Hall, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Dear Guest

I am delighted you enjoyed your recent ‘Love Fitness’ weekend break at Matfen Hall, but was sorry to read of your disappointment with the variety of food served.

The organisers of the weekend, actually requested the menus in advance of your stay and were very specific as to what was to be served for all meals. I take your comments on board and this is something we will review with the organisers the next time they book a weekend course with us.

Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Like many other reviewers we booked 2 nights through the Secret Escapes deal. When considering the overall facilites and situation of Matfen it was excellent value for money. Staff are very friendly and most helpful (Jessica on reception excepted afraid - surly and uncommunicative). The size and quality of the bedroom was first class. We ate in Keepers Lodge where the food and service was very good and we enjoyed the Leisure and Spa facilities. Two glitches - both avoidable if check in and follow up conversations had been better - we had treatments in the spa as part of the package but they could not fulfil this as no availability (although rectified very late on with under an hours notice) and we could not get booked in The Library for dinner again booked out which was disappointing. However we had a great time and i am sure will visit again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
BernieBloodworth, General Manager at Matfen Hall, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your comments, following your recent stay at Matfen Hall.

I do apologise for the couple of problems you experienced during your visit and was pleased to hear that the Spa team were able to re-arrange treatment times, to ensure your own treatments took place. With regards to dinner in our Library restaurant, I am sorry the restaurant was fully booked on this occasion.

Thank you again for your comments and I do hope I will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Matfen Hall in the near future.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

I booked a two night stay on Secret Escapes on a B&B basis as the Dinner, B&B deal was not available. It is a beautiful location and the hotel is decorated in a very traditional manner. Our room was located in the new part of the hotel and our room was lovely and great value for money, but maybe a little too warm at night.
We used the pool and spa facility three times during our stay. The pool was great but the steam rooms and tropical shower could do with a little attention. In both the steam rooms some of the tiles were loose and there did seem to be an odd smell, although I could not figure out if this was the supposed salt or herbal infusions. The staff at the leisure facility were extremely helpful.
We ate in the The Library on our first evening, it was a little pricey but most of our food was very good and we found the service faultless. The breakfast was fantastic. We ate in Keepers Lodge on the second evening, again the food was very good and the bar staff very accommodating.
Overall we had a lovely stay and it was very good value for money, although I would have been happier if we had dinner included in our package. My one criticism of the hotel is that some of the areas are a little grubby. One of the lampshades in the dining room had a large cobweb visible and the blinds in the Conservatory were dirty and there seemed to be a lot of flies. Our room was mostly clean, but again the lampshades were stained.
We would return again as we really enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in a classic room which was great value for money. If you are looking for something a litt...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
BernieBloodworth, General Manager at Matfen Hall, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us, following your recent stay at Matfen Hall.

I am pleased your overall stay was enjoyable and I shall certainly review the areas with my team, where you felt attention was lacking.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Matfen Hall in the near future.

Matfen Hall Hotel Golf & Spa

Also consider these accommodations in or near Matfen
Langley Castle Hotel
Best Western Derwent Manor Hotel
The George Hotel
The George Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chollerford

Been to Matfen Hall? Share your experiences!