“A palace in the countryside (fit!!!) royalty” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Matfen Hall

Matfen Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Matfen
“A palace in the countryside (fit!!!) royalty”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is wonderful from the the moment you arrive. Staff always friendly and helpful. We were at a lovefitness weekend so there was a big group of us. Even though the hotel was full with wedding guests nothing was to much trouble. The rooms were clean spa well received by all. Thank you to reception staff who gave a lovely welcome. Well done matfen hall

• Stayed October 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BernieBloodworth, General Manager at Matfen Hall, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Guest

I am pleased you enjoyed your recent ‘Love Fitness’ weekend at Matfen Hall and I thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us.

I do hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back to Matfen Hall in the very near future.

Matfen Hall Hotel Golf & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
Newcastle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed here as part of the secret escapes deal, for one night on a Sunday. We arrived a little early but this was no problem. The check-in staff were very friendly, the man who checked us in only explained where the room was, but was happy to answer questions about the leisure facilities etc. The room was a decent size, the bathroom was very nice, but the furnishings are getting a little old and could do with some sprucing up - one of the little decorative bed cushions had a few stains on. We unpacked and went straight to the spa. It's small, but quite nice, and a nice touch in a hotel this size. Be warned - the kids come in at around 4pm after school. We had dinner in the Library, the setting was very nice if a little quiet. The food was decent but lacked something in flavours and quality. The staff were very friendly and professional, but after dinner we had wanted tea and chocolates, but we were left waiting for 15 minutes so we decided to just head back to the room and get some of the chocolates that are advertised all over the hotel. We headed to reception where Jessica told us there weren't any made up. I felt a bit like we'd annoyed her which was a shame, especially as they're advertised absolutely everywhere. In the end my other half went to the Library to ask if they had any there and they had some made up - which was really nice of them. They were very nice too! If a little pricey...
There was no wifi that we could use in the newer part of the hotel - only a cable to plug into a computer which is no good on a mobile phone. There's also almost no phone signal.

Room Tip: The older part of the hotel would probably be ideal for an extra special break - apparently room 14...
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at Matfen Hall.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the problems you experienced in gaining some of our chocolates after dinner. Jessica has also asked me to pass on her apologies to you.

All of your comments have been noted and I will review these internally with my team and where necessary improvements will be made.

Thank you again for your comments, I do value all feedback and I hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back to Matfen Hall in the near future.

Wallsend, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

Just returned from a fitness break weekend at the Hall. Good facilities, good instructors, good company. Staff friendly and helpful however food for our group really let down the weekend. I am diabetic and could not find too much to get excited about. I mean vegetable stir fry and a very dry apple fruit salad for our evening meal. Come on chef surely there could have been some cost effective, inventive healthy eating options that could have been provided. I left my main course and was not offered anything else at all. I fully endorse Christine in all of her comments as we attended the break together. This has certainly put me off going to Matfen Hall in the future but perhaps if not part of an organised group more food (which I could eat) would be available. Such a shame a hotel of this calibre was let down by the food.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
BernieBloodworth, General Manager at Matfen Hall, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Guest

I am delighted you enjoyed your recent ‘Love Fitness’ weekend break at Matfen Hall, but was sorry to read of your disappointment with the variety of food served.

The organisers of the weekend, actually requested the menus in advance of your stay and were very specific as to what was to be served for all meals. I take your comments on board and this is something we will review with the organisers the next time they book a weekend course with us.

Thank you for your feedback.

East Kilbride, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

Like many other reviewers we booked 2 nights through the Secret Escapes deal. When considering the overall facilites and situation of Matfen it was excellent value for money. Staff are very friendly and most helpful (Jessica on reception excepted afraid - surly and uncommunicative). The size and quality of the bedroom was first class. We ate in Keepers Lodge where the food and service was very good and we enjoyed the Leisure and Spa facilities. Two glitches - both avoidable if check in and follow up conversations had been better - we had treatments in the spa as part of the package but they could not fulfil this as no availability (although rectified very late on with under an hours notice) and we could not get booked in The Library for dinner again booked out which was disappointing. However we had a great time and i am sure will visit again.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
BernieBloodworth, General Manager at Matfen Hall, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your comments, following your recent stay at Matfen Hall.

I do apologise for the couple of problems you experienced during your visit and was pleased to hear that the Spa team were able to re-arrange treatment times, to ensure your own treatments took place. With regards to dinner in our Library restaurant, I am sorry the restaurant was fully booked on this occasion.

Thank you again for your comments and I do hope I will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Matfen Hall in the near future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

I booked a two night stay on Secret Escapes on a B&B basis as the Dinner, B&B deal was not available. It is a beautiful location and the hotel is decorated in a very traditional manner. Our room was located in the new part of the hotel and our room was lovely and great value for money, but maybe a little too warm at night.
We used the pool and spa facility three times during our stay. The pool was great but the steam rooms and tropical shower could do with a little attention. In both the steam rooms some of the tiles were loose and there did seem to be an odd smell, although I could not figure out if this was the supposed salt or herbal infusions. The staff at the leisure facility were extremely helpful.
We ate in the The Library on our first evening, it was a little pricey but most of our food was very good and we found the service faultless. The breakfast was fantastic. We ate in Keepers Lodge on the second evening, again the food was very good and the bar staff very accommodating.
Overall we had a lovely stay and it was very good value for money, although I would have been happier if we had dinner included in our package. My one criticism of the hotel is that some of the areas are a little grubby. One of the lampshades in the dining room had a large cobweb visible and the blinds in the Conservatory were dirty and there seemed to be a lot of flies. Our room was mostly clean, but again the lampshades were stained.
We would return again as we really enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in a classic room which was great value for money. If you are looking for something a litt...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BernieBloodworth, General Manager at Matfen Hall, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us, following your recent stay at Matfen Hall.

I am pleased your overall stay was enjoyable and I shall certainly review the areas with my team, where you felt attention was lacking.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Matfen Hall in the near future.

Edinburgh, uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

We booked two nights DB&B through Secret Escapes for a very reasonable price. Our room was a "classic" in the newer part of the hotel. It was a good size and well equipped with my only moan being a lack of WiFi - broadband was available through a cable but that was no good for an IPad. Having said that, WiFi was available in the public areas. The dinner in the Library restaurant was first-class, as was breakfast. The leisure centre has a gym, pool, sauna and steam rooms - all in immaculate order. Staff were well presented, polite and helpful.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Happywalker_12
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review on our trip advisor website.

I am pleased you had an enjoyable stay and I look forward to welcoming you back to Matfen Hall again soon.

Bishop Auckland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

Stayed with secret escapes deal, arrived mid afternoon on a Sunday, Jessica checked us in and gave instructions how to find room, no info given on spa or anything else. Room was nice and clean , no real problems except we could hear a young child in the next room, sounded as he or she was in ours ! . I asked if we could move into older part of hotel, plenty of rooms available but wanted another £35, we agreed to pay. I asked if that supplement could be negotiated, no was the reply, yet other people on the same deal were clearly put in this part of the hotel at no extra cost. Dinner in library was good although as others have commented lacked atmosphere. We decided to pay £6 charge and have breakfast in our room , this arrived on time and was very good. All in all a pleasant stay, but clearly rules for guests differ somewhat and on that basis would not return.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Bishoptraveller
BernieBloodworth, General Manager at Matfen Hall, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on our trip adviser website.

Unfortunately, as October is a busy time of year, we are unable to discount, however I am sorry my receptionist was not more courteous towards you.

Thank you again.

Matfen Hall Hotel Golf & Spa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Matfen
Langley Castle Hotel
Macdonald Linden Hall Golf & Country Club
Battlesteads Hotel
BEST WESTERN Derwent Manor
Horton Grange Country House Hotel

Been to Matfen Hall? Share your experiences!