“Best avoided”
Review of Black Bull Inn

Black Bull Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Escrick B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We booked this place as my brother lives out in the sticks and it was the nearest to his house. The price wasn't value in my opinion however it was the closest to where we wanted to be.

When we got there approx 9pm on a Saturday night we had to wait a good 20 mins to get to our rooms and wanted to just chill then sleep

My double room's tv had no signal so I immediately brought this to the owner's attention, he did come upstairs and try and sort which he couldn't because the the aerial had snapped in the wall socket

Not his fault but should have been checked before we got there

The manager offered a £40 discount off the £90 there and then but has never given the refund, and come to think of it had no intention as he said he had to wait till he get paid off the booking agency before he could refund me as if he was short of £40

Ultimately do you want to deal with someone who is economical with the truth and lies for a living

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank rmfsltd
There are newer reviews for Black Bull Inn

Reviewed April 13, 2013

We were disappointed with our meal last night- the fish and chips were not as good as on previous
occasions and the helping of scampi ran only to seven small pieces. Having said that it is still a pleasant place to eat and the serving staff are cheerful and helpful.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank TrishYorkUK
Reviewed April 7, 2013

My husband an I stayed at this hotel at the end of march for two nights , omg wot a nightmare ,I never rate hotels but I feel people need to no about this one ,we where put into a room and it was freezing ,so we asked to move ,so fair enough they moved us no problem, but they never cleaned are room and never got any clean towels although we did ask , we had no electric on the second night , but we did have light yippee which we believe is a regular thing , .but good enough we did get a full refund on our stay .but mind you is whot you would expect I suppose . The little pub downstairs though was quite nice and the food wasn't bad when they got it right although the service was terrible on the two night we ate their .all in all it was rubbish ,dont stay ,stay somewhere else .

Room Tip: Pick another hotel
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 840KarenC840
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We unfortunately stayed for 2 nights here and the rooms were ok, baring in mind we had the family room which you had to boil the kettle on the floor because there was no plug any where else which is great when you have a 1 year old and a 3 year old. It was reasonably clean I suppose although my daughter found breakfast cereal and easter eggs under the bed which was nice!!

The breakfast was awful - stone cold and toast that wasn't even cooked properly, these people literally can't even fry an egg. I complained after the first morning we stayed and the second morning the food was even worse which I didn't think was possible but they managed it. Being served your food by someone who looks dirty and in dirty clothes and no apron or anything wasn't a great impression.

Do not waste your money staying here - I certainly will not be going back!

Room Tip: Try a premier inn or something else just don't stay here
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank J3ggd
Reviewed March 31, 2013

First impressions of the bar area are okay, blazing fire made a chilly day feel welcoming. Tables laid for lunch, we thought this will be good, all our lunch party had arrived and we were shown to our table......which was in a cold dark room off the bar area!! It felt like a dumping area, 12 people round 2 tables. We had looked on the website at the menu's the all day breakfast sounded wonderful or fish and chips, no sorry not available on a Sunday!! Please if that is the case mention it on your website!!.
We waited ages for our food, which we thought must be a good sign!! The roasts all had burnt Yorkshire puddings on and the potatoes and vegetables were cold and hard!! The burgers were okay but had better!!
The whole of our party agreed the best bit was the company of us all together, and certainly not the food or ambience of this room which needs a makeover and clean up!!
Customers are what keeps business open, it may be worth the Black Bull taking not of this review.
The young girls who waited on the table did their best, but if that is the best of the Black Bull then you have 12 customers who will not be returning

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank JanG275
BBIOwner, Owner at Black Bull Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Hi There JanG 275 ,

Firstly May I Start By Thanking You For Your Feedback,

I am saddened that your visit here wasn't up to out usual standard. Having spoken to the team working yesterday I belive that most of your party was happy with the meal and the atmosphere provided. ( Incidentally they did mention to us that you would complain as you do most places)

I feel that your comments are unfair especially when the person booking the meal requested the dining room ( so it was private) and the sunday lunch menu ( pre planned) I apologise that the breakfast wasn't available however there was a notice displayed on the bar informing guests of this due to the business of easter sunday.

I have recently taken over the black bull and the dining room has had a temporary lick of paint and change of wallpaper before we undergo a refurbishment later in the spring, this however has been commented on how much better and cleaner the room feels from before so I disagree with your comments there.

We served over 120 sunday lunches yesterday and yours is the only complaints recieved.

I would like to say to anyone reading this review and the one below ( both are linked)
That out of a party of 12 people these are the only 2 complaints and our quality of food and service is and will remain to a very high standard. ( We were also informed by the event organiser that these people always complain and not to worry )

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Waited for 30min for food to arrive, a party of 12 people, the burger was very dry and had 5 chunkey chips, must say the wrost burger I have ever had, McDonald's is 90% better. Roast dinners were disgusting, mash cold, Yorkshire Puds, burnt on the outside and soggy inside, we complained that food became cold very quickly, no apology was given, felt sorry for waitress who had to listen to our complaints. How can a pub serve meals in this way, will never go there again, a truly disappointing Easter Sunday dinner. What was hard to believe that we mentioned our complaint and no explanation was given. Marks out of 10, a fat 0, not recommended!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank scampowen

Hi There Scampowen ,

Firstly May I Start By Thanking You For Your Feedback,

I feel that your comments are unfair especially with the likeness to Mcdonalds. Our burgers are made onsite using quality steak mince.

I would like to say to anyone reading this review and the one Above ( both are linked)

Reviewed March 31, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here just for one night, having never been to the area before we just chose somewhere that seemed like a good price. Turned out we got very lucky! Food was delicious with a good selection and you could really tell that it was home cooked, not your standard frozen deep fried stuff, it was excellent. The room was simple but nicely decorated and spotlessly clean. Breakfast in the morning was great. The staff were really friendly and seemed to genuinely care about your stay. Jo, the female manager, was lovely and everybody made us feel so welcome.It's only a few miles from centre of york and is in a really cute, quiet village. We will DEFINATELY be back and plan to make it a regular thing. Thanks everyone for an awesome stay! From Jane and Ryan (Lancs and Scotland)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi There JaneT,

Firstly May I Start By Thanking You For Your Feedback,

I am please that you enjoyed your stay with you, Jo has mentioned you to me and have said your the nicest couple she has met for a long time .

I look forward to seeing you again on your next visit, Jo has asked me to remind you about the 4 poster room too :)

Owner

Also consider these accommodations in or near Escrick
Parsonage Hotel & Spa
Middlethorpe Hall & Spa
The White Swan
The White Swan
#145 of 194 in York

Been to Black Bull Inn? Share your experiences!