“Don't eat here!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Escrick B&B and Inns
Essex
“Don't eat here!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

We unfortunately stayed for 2 nights here and the rooms were ok, baring in mind we had the family room which you had to boil the kettle on the floor because there was no plug any where else which is great when you have a 1 year old and a 3 year old. It was reasonably clean I suppose although my daughter found breakfast cereal and easter eggs under the bed which was nice!!

The breakfast was awful - stone cold and toast that wasn't even cooked properly, these people literally can't even fry an egg. I complained after the first morning we stayed and the second morning the food was even worse which I didn't think was possible but they managed it. Being served your food by someone who looks dirty and in dirty clothes and no apron or anything wasn't a great impression.

Do not waste your money staying here - I certainly will not be going back!

Room Tip: Try a premier inn or something else just don't stay here
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank J3ggd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Wakefield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

First impressions of the bar area are okay, blazing fire made a chilly day feel welcoming. Tables laid for lunch, we thought this will be good, all our lunch party had arrived and we were shown to our table......which was in a cold dark room off the bar area!! It felt like a dumping area, 12 people round 2 tables. We had looked on the website at the menu's the all day breakfast sounded wonderful or fish and chips, no sorry not available on a Sunday!! Please if that is the case mention it on your website!!.
We waited ages for our food, which we thought must be a good sign!! The roasts all had burnt Yorkshire puddings on and the potatoes and vegetables were cold and hard!! The burgers were okay but had better!!
The whole of our party agreed the best bit was the company of us all together, and certainly not the food or ambience of this room which needs a makeover and clean up!!
Customers are what keeps business open, it may be worth the Black Bull taking not of this review.
The young girls who waited on the table did their best, but if that is the best of the Black Bull then you have 12 customers who will not be returning

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank JanG275
Hi There JanG 275 ,

Firstly May I Start By Thanking You For Your Feedback,

I am saddened that your visit here wasn't up to out usual standard. Having spoken to the team working yesterday I belive that most of your party was happy with the meal and the atmosphere provided. ( Incidentally they did mention to us that you would complain as you do most places)

I feel that your comments are unfair especially when the person booking the meal requested the dining room ( so it was private) and the sunday lunch menu ( pre planned) I apologise that the breakfast wasn't available however there was a notice displayed on the bar informing guests of this due to the business of easter sunday.

I have recently taken over the black bull and the dining room has had a temporary lick of paint and change of wallpaper before we undergo a refurbishment later in the spring, this however has been commented on how much better and cleaner the room feels from before so I disagree with your comments there.

We served over 120 sunday lunches yesterday and yours is the only complaints recieved.

I would like to say to anyone reading this review and the one below ( both are linked)
That out of a party of 12 people these are the only 2 complaints and our quality of food and service is and will remain to a very high standard. ( We were also informed by the event organiser that these people always complain and not to worry )

Owner

Travelers are raving about these Escrick hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

Waited for 30min for food to arrive, a party of 12 people, the burger was very dry and had 5 chunkey chips, must say the wrost burger I have ever had, McDonald's is 90% better. Roast dinners were disgusting, mash cold, Yorkshire Puds, burnt on the outside and soggy inside, we complained that food became cold very quickly, no apology was given, felt sorry for waitress who had to listen to our complaints. How can a pub serve meals in this way, will never go there again, a truly disappointing Easter Sunday dinner. What was hard to believe that we mentioned our complaint and no explanation was given. Marks out of 10, a fat 0, not recommended!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank scampowen
Hi There Scampowen ,

Firstly May I Start By Thanking You For Your Feedback,

I feel that your comments are unfair especially with the likeness to Mcdonalds. Our burgers are made onsite using quality steak mince.

I would like to say to anyone reading this review and the one Above ( both are linked)

Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here just for one night, having never been to the area before we just chose somewhere that seemed like a good price. Turned out we got very lucky! Food was delicious with a good selection and you could really tell that it was home cooked, not your standard frozen deep fried stuff, it was excellent. The room was simple but nicely decorated and spotlessly clean. Breakfast in the morning was great. The staff were really friendly and seemed to genuinely care about your stay. Jo, the female manager, was lovely and everybody made us feel so welcome.It's only a few miles from centre of york and is in a really cute, quiet village. We will DEFINATELY be back and plan to make it a regular thing. Thanks everyone for an awesome stay! From Jane and Ryan (Lancs and Scotland)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi There JaneT,

Firstly May I Start By Thanking You For Your Feedback,

I am please that you enjoyed your stay with you, Jo has mentioned you to me and have said your the nicest couple she has met for a long time .

I look forward to seeing you again on your next visit, Jo has asked me to remind you about the 4 poster room too :)

Woking, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

I had stayed here previously under the old owners and it was great, we were looking forward to a family weekened away offroading in the local area. The Black Bull is now under new mangement and I can only say our experience was very poor. Upon arrival our booked (3 months previously) family room didnt have a single bed for my 12 year old son. This took an age to sort out. The food Friday was acceptable. Saturday AM we had said we needed BFast at 7.00 but didnt get it until 7.40. Saturday evening food was of a very poor standard, tasted unpalatable and the service was very slow. The worst aspects of our Room (9)were; The very dangerous electrical socket as pictured, an uncloseable broken toilet door/handle in bathroom, broken shower door & towel rail falling off. All these items were pointed out to the management. It is a shame our trip in such a beautifiul area was ruined by such basic attention to detail.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank HighAtlas1st
Hi There High Atlas 1st ,

Firstly May I Start By Thanking You For Your Feedback,

However a previous review you had placed on this site was removed.

FOR OTHER CUSTOMERS AND REVIEWERS : This customer was given a full refund, Apology and More. However following an outburst in the restaurant, being abusive to several members of staff was asked to leave.

Grantham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

We were on a two day break, going to Elvington airfield for a Super car day out, and the Black Bull had been recommended.
My friend and I had a great time, joining in to the local quiz, and food was really great. Rooms were really comfortable and the whole experience was just what we needed.
If you are going to stay in this area look no further, to recap: Beer great Food great, Rooms and atmosphere brilliant .

Room Tip: State your requirements to the staff and they really try to go the extra mile.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Hi There XSwords,

Thank You Very Much For Your Kind Feedback, It Was A Pleasure Meeting You, I hope your partned has an excellent time down under and that you are able visit us again on her return.

Selby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

We had a lovely lunch at the Black Bull ..great menu choice .. Staff very friendly and made us all very welcome .. Took our dog into the bar area too .. Overall a great friendly family run pub ..will most certainly be returning again ..

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Allotts
Hi There Allotts ,

Thank You Very Much For Your Kind Feedback,

I am glad to see that you enjoyed your visit and that you brought your dog with you.
We aim to make it a home from home so everyone is welcome :)

I look forward to seeing you in the future.

Owner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Escrick
Parsonage Hotel & Spa
#3 of 3 in Dunnington
The Plough Inn
The Plough Inn
#18 of 192 in York

Been to Black Bull Inn? Share your experiences!