“Lovely country pub”

Black Bull Inn Pub
Ranked #2 of 5 Restaurants in Escrick
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A traditional country pub set in the heart of Escrick and only a stone's throw away from historic York and McAurthur Glen designer outlet. Perfectly placed in the village of Escrick and away from busy roads.The Black Bull inn is the perfect retreat wether you are on business or pleasure. You will expect very good accomodation with superb home cooked food, which is sourced from our local suppliers.We serve a selection of fine wines and award-winning ales , so why not join us here at the Black Bull Inn and we promise to make your stay a "home from home".The friendly atmosphere of this family run business is proving popular with both commercial and leisure customer's. Our 'Hands on' approach, with everyone working as part of the team, encourages our staff to relax and converse in an efficient, polite manner, whilst retaining a friendly, but professional service. We are immensely proud of our staff. It is this Ethos that we believe, encourages our guests to return time after time.please also see the BLACK BULL INN, ESCRICK trip advisor page
“Lovely country pub”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner popped into the black bull whilst passing through the village, and what a nice change! The new owners (Keith and Linda) were really welcoming, with some great real ales on tap and lovely open log fires. The meal we had was also great, even off a temporary menu. We'll definitely be popping in again soon! Would highly recommend . . . looks like this pub is finally finding its feet again!

York, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

We had Saturday lunch here today and were rather disappointed.
We arrived just after 2 and the place was empty, which wasn't a good sign. We chose it because they allow dogs in the bar area, so we came straight from a long walk at Skipwith Common. The card machine wasn't working so we needed to pay cash so I was directed "just down the road" to a cash point. That turned out to take me 35 minutes to walk there and back, but not as much of a problem as it might have been as our food hadn't arrived by then.
My wife had fish and chips which was OK, I had belly pork which I can only say was badly influenced by MasterChef on the telly. Poor pork, lots of bone and gristle, hardly any meat to get at, accompanied by a small potato cake and a few slivers of vegetables. Not what I was expecting after a long walk.
Poor, sorry but we won't be returning.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Davidemslie
york
“best beef for miles”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

Having eaten here a few times i can say the food is superb, the beef is always perfectly cooked for me and of excellent quality, i love the homemade chips, the portion size is really good as is the service, also enjoyed the homemade dessert, pubs that make their own desserts always get my vote. there are a lot of pubs that don't come anywhere close to this one.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank YorkJudy
Leeds, United Kingdom
“absolute disgrace”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

tried this restaurant for the third time and as soon as we walked in we knew it was a big mistake the place was completely empty but we sat down and ordered two main meals , we waited 45 minutes for our meals . the steak and ale pie could not be cut into without a hammer and chisel and the chips were dry and looked like they had been warmed up from the night before .the spoonful of mushy peas were also stone cold , my partners meal was also cold and extremely salty, this pub has really gone down the pan and judging by the complete lack of customers everybody must think the same as us avoid at all costs

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank rockwood62
York, United Kingdom
“Place to avoid”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

My husband and I had meal here about three weeks ago and I can honestly say it was a dreadful meal. We thought we would give it another try as we took family there in January this year and that was also dreadful. The service was poor and got told as we walked in "Do ya wanna grab seat!" from some young women! The place was dirty and run down and I would think probably will close or change hands yet again in the near future!
Such a shame as it could be as good as the Jefferson Arms at Thorsganby if the right people bought it!

1 Thank Eric H