“Lovely Girly Weekend”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Escrick
York, United Kingdom
“Lovely Girly Weekend”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I booked 4 rooms here for my sisters birthday so that she and I and a group of friends could have a relaxing spa weekend. Unfortunately the Cloisters Spa was fully booked for treatments when i called in advance to book, however this turned out to be a good thing. I searched for nearby places which we could have our treatments done and found a small place across the road (Beautique of Escrick) there were 2 beauty thereapists who worked there who were just starting up at this small salon. (although both fully qualified and had experience at other practices). I decided to phone them to see if we could pop over for our treatments there, they were extremely accomodating and sent us price lists etc as they dont yet have a website although you can find their number on google. It turned out that for a 45 minute back, neck and shoulder massage we paid £20. This turned out to be a complete bargain and an absolute find when we found out that the Cloisters Spa were charging £30 for just 25 minute massage. Me and my friends enjoyed a range of treatments such as facials, full body massages and back neck and shoulder massages here and I would reccomend going here to anyone who is bookiing to stay at the parsonage. We simply enjoyed all of the facilities in the spa and when it was our turn for our treatments we popped over one by one for our treatment it was no trouble at all and saved us all a lot of money. In the end we were all much happier to have paid the lady who worked at Beautique of Escrick as she was so helpful and facilitating to us and polite we gave her a tip (Becky).

We were glad to not have given our money to the staff in the Cloisters Spa as they turned out to be rude and unhelpful. The spa itself was lovely and clean and enjoyed by all, however when we got out of the pool and went into the conservatory area for a bite to eat it wasn't such a pleasent experience. The food was extortionately priced (£6 for a simple sandwich) we had to wait 1 hour to get our food as they were busy serving platters to people who had booked on a groupon type voucher and forgot about us. We enquired twice as to where our food was as one of the girls had to get off to go for her treatment and she would be late if she waited any longer. The lady working in the spa was rude and unhelpful and abrupt. All of the staff in the spa could do with some training on customer service, so in the end we were glad to have not paid them for any treatments as they were not deserving of the extortionate prices.

The hotel itself was nice, slightly dated in decor but clean and pleasent and we had no trouble here. One of the rooms was upgraded to a superior room which was lovely and spacious and had a jacuzzi bath so we all tended to congregate in that room as a group. The staff inside the hotel were lovely and friendly and I could not fault them.

With regards to travelling into York from the Hotel we had no problems there was a bus which took us into the centre on the evening and and back again (last bus at 00:05) it was £3 each way which was fine and taxi's are available to get if travelling later as some of our group did.

Overall a pleasant experience, we did not let the small issue of the Spa staff ruin it for us. Only tip I would give is to give Beautique of Escrick a ring to check their availability for treatments before booking with the cloisters. Much better customer service, longer and better treatments, cheaper in price and just across the road, complete no brainer.

Room Tip: The rooms in The Lodge are brilliant especially the superior rooms.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Notts
Reviewed February 7, 2014

We had a very pleasant clean room and the spa facilities were excellent with a decent sized pool. Hotel clean and bright but a shame that the 3-course dinner menu only offered 3 main choices except for steak at an extra price!! - and this menu was for the season! This rather spoilt the expectations of such a lovely hotel as we had to go out to eat.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
UK
Reviewed February 5, 2014

This was our second visit to The Parsonage and we enjoyed it just as much.
Welcomed by friendly staff at reception who, on finding that we were planning to travel into York, produced a bus timetable for us.
Our ground floor room in the annex was very comfortable and nicely furnished with a good sized bathroom.
We had evening meal on the first night which was delicious, game pie was very filling.
The buffet breakfast had a good choice including meats and cheeses for those not wanting an English cooked breakfast. On the second day we had an afternoon tea served in front of a log fire, then went to the theatre in York.

We used the leisure facilities each day and found them to be immaculately kept and the receptionists again were welcoming there.
There is a regular bus service into York which stops at the McArthur Glen outlet on the way.

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms in the annex have a French windows overlooking the fields.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2014

The hotel is beautiful and in a beautiful location. The staff were friendly, welcoming and helpful. The spa facilities were superb, I had this all to myself which was luxury. We would definitely stay again. We visited to do some Christmas shopping and visited the York designer outlet and shopped in York city. So may fascinating places to visit. A lovely pre Christmas break away. Only negative, the bath plug in our room was leaking water so we were unable to have a relaxing bath! Easily fixed though

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
east yorks
Reviewed January 24, 2014

This week had a very relaxing spa day at The Cloisters at the Parsonage,provided with new white fluffy robes,slippers and towels,we swam in a lovely tepid pool followed by a session in the Jacuzzi,aromatherapy room and various steam rooms before showering changing into our underwear and robes for our massage but not till after our afternoon tea which consisted of small sandwiches in white and brown bread of which the smoked salmon in brown were the best as the white bread wasn't too fresh,followed by cream scones and jam lovely,there were also small cakes which we tried some and were nice what we had...An hour later we had a full body massage in a very dimly lit room with relaxing music,the girl who did my massage was lovely and I thought gave me an expert massage with beautiful smelly oils.So we left feeling,,,, so when do we go back.Yes please.

Room Tip: Try and go midweek,not so busy
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
hull
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Booked this hotel for my birthday and went with 3 of my sisters for the 2 day spa treatment with bed and breakfast through Amazon local. We arrived at about 6pm and were greeted by the hotel receptionist Caroline. We were shown to our rooms and when we went in they were both double and I had asked for 2 twin rooms when I phoned to redeem my voucher. The girl who took us to our room said that she would try and move us but we were told by Caroline that they only had 1 twin left which I gave to my sister because she wasn't feeling too well. I had initially called the hotel that afternoon and was told there were rooms available (superior) but that I would have to pay and extra £40 per night so it was a surprise to me that only a couple of hours later there were apparently no upgrades available. My sisters and I were all having a laugh as it was my birthday and we had a lot of catching up to do. When my other sister arrived she went to reception and asked where we were. Caroline proceeded to say 'if you follow the cackling, you will find them' I thought that comment was totally uncalled for and unprofessional and had I been told of the comment sooner I would have complained to the manager. We went for our evening meal which I have to say was absolutely delicious and I could not fault it. The 3 course menu option offers you a free bottle of house wine which I would tell all future guests to avoid at all cost. The rooms are of an ok standard until you inspect the quilt!! My quilt had somehow slipped out of the quilt cover and it almost made me retch it was so disgusting. It had started to disintegrate and there were black hairs and other black specs inter-twined within the fibres. I think this is something the hotel needs to address immediately as it is a health issue. The breakfast was ok and there was plenty to choose from but I thought the tea and coffee were of a poor quality. The grounds of the hotel are stunning and I would say it would be the perfect place for a wedding. The other staff were friendly and attentive. The spa and the staff were lovely and my treatments were exceptional but I would not have had my facial if I had known that there was resurfacing/tarmacking work being carried out on the grounds. The treatment was stressful and noisy and had I been informed that this work was being carried out I would have cancelled the treatment and had it done at a later time. On the last night of our stay there were new guests that had arrived. I asked the duty manager if the hotel was full and she told me that there were 23 rooms still available, mmmmmmmmmm. Would I come to this hotel again? Probably not

Room Tip: ask to check the quilt
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous winter wedding
We got married at this lovely, charming country hotel in December and can’t think of anything we would change about our day or the days we spent in the hotel afterwards.
We’d planned our day down to the last detail with the hotels wedding planner and everything ran like clockwork.
We were looked after on the day by a lovely young woman called Kerry who guided us through all the plans with calmness and efficiency.
From the ceremony in the Castania room, through our drinks reception in the conservatory, photos indoors and out, wedding breakfast in the Crystal Suite and buffet/disco
later everything was perfect.
All our family & friends had a great day and so many of them have told us since that it’s the best wedding they’ve been to, best organised and best food (the beef dinner with Yorkshire pudds, veg, pots etc was wonderful and very generous portion sizes which impressed us Yorkshire folk so much!).
We stayed in the hotel for 3 nights to relax in the cosy drawing room (with open fire), use the delightful spa (jacuzzi, steam room, sauna etc) and enjoy the excellent food in the restaurant.
We found all the staff very helpful and attentive during our stay, particularly Gemma who helped my wife with the table decorations on the morning of the wedding.
Food, service, charming hotel … great memories for us and our family & friends.
We’ll be back before long to enjoy the spa and to stay at this lovely hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Escrick
Middlethorpe Hall & Spa
Hazlewood Castle & Spa
#1 of 1 in Hazlewood
Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel
York Marriott Hotel

Been to Parsonage Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!