“Birthday celebrations”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Preston, England
“Birthday celebrations”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We came here on a Tuesday evening at the last minute as the place we were going to eat was undergoing refurbishment. I am not a Thai food fan but went along with the party. The surroundings are lovely and it was a nice, friendly atmosphere with very genteel service. I did choose the least spicy dish on the menu which was a chicken breast with lemongrass that had been griddled. It was delicious although still a bit too hot for my tastes although the other 5 in the party thoroughly enjoyed this aspect of their dishes they had chosen. Four shared one of the banquet meals and they said it was one of the best Thai meals they had had and that it was nice to get such a good selection of different dishes to try. It is not posh and as another Reviewer has said it is a bit like being in someone's sitting room but this only adds to the comfortable atmosphere. I would certainly go again.

• Visited April 2014

Selby, United Kingdom
“Mothers Day Menu”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Went here with my daughter for Mothers day and was very disappointed with the set menu. It was bland and sickly sweet. We had the soup which was bits swimming in coconut milk, most of which were inedible and not how it used to be.My daughter had Pat Thai which was like noodles in Uncle Bens sweet and sour sauce and I had a very bland duck breast stir fry.

We have eaten here in the past and the food has always been very good. I know it was a set menu for £16 pounds but I would have paid more for decent food.

There was no option to eat off the normal menu although there was a group of ladies from Thailand who appeared to be getting 'proper' food.

• Visited March 2014
Sangthai, Owner at Sangthai, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Pauline has already sent me an email of her comments, but obviously feels that my reply deserves a wider audience.

I expressed regret that she was unhappy with the food served on Sunday and assured her that everything on the menu was exactly the same as usual: no cheaper ingredients or different recipes.

I suppose politeness prevented me from asking why someone who eats here and is, "always very happy”, didn’t tell us when receiving something so disappointing. The dishes Pauline complains of would have been replaced straight away, and it would have given us the opportunity to trace any fault. I suppose nowadays it’s much easier telling the world than speaking to the restaurant.

By the way, the Thai ladies were friends of staff eating very improper food for Sunday lunch: things extremely spicy!
York
“Good food but slow to serve”
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Santhai is situated in the idyllic village of Escrick, next the The Parsonage Hotel & Spa, and not far from where I live.

We went to the restaurant 3 weeks ago on a Saturday evening at 7pm as a group of 7. The restaurant was not busy when we arrived. We had booked so we were seated immediately and had drinks orders taken and served. Soon after our food orders were taken.

The staff are all Thai and very friendly, but we do struggle with the language barrier sometimes.

It must've been close to an hour later perhaps longer before our starters arrived.
I suspect that one or more of the chefs must've been ill or late because we have been there on more than one occasion and the service was prompt. Fortunately our main courses were not as delayed and were soon served after our starters.

We left at around 10pm and were given a round of drinks on the house as an apology, which we accepted. It is a pity that the staff didn't inform us of the potential delays as we would have had more sympathy with them.

The food is authentic Thai food and generally very tasty. There is a wide range of dishes available to suit your palette, from vegetarian dishes to the Red and Green curries to the more fiery but delicious "some like it hot" dishes. Some might say there is too much choice.
On this occasion my wife & I opted for the set menu for 2 which included fish cakes (we we didn't really like) and Chicken Satay which we did like.
Main consisted of Green Thai Curry, Beef with Chilli and Basil and Stir-fried veg with rice, all of which was nice.

This is a nice little restaurant that we go to every now and then but it need to improve service to become a regular visit for us.

They have a promotional night on Wednesday which offers 2 courses for 2 at £20 which is cheap but we found lacking in that the quantity of food is less and with desserts (cos we were still hungry) and drinks on top, we ended up paying what we would normally pay for a night out.
They also offer a similar deal on Friday, Saturday and Sunday at £30 for 2 or £40 for 2 including a bottle of wine.

Perhaps the restaurant's owner should take more responsibility for the place.

• Visited February 2014
Sangthai, Owner at Sangthai, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
I am sorry that you experienced some problems during your last visit here. Thank you for bringing them to my attention. We always welcome customer feed-back and try to make improvements where possible.
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Didn't meet expectations”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Went to Sangthai as it had lots of recommendations from friends, and whilst it was not a bad experience, I wouldn't race to return, so
On arrival the car park is spread out and difficult to access in a large car, due to a narrow archway on a 90 degree bend. Car park has a number of potholes and was dark, difficult to walk through on a Saturday night.
The restaurant its self was clean though last decorated 20 years ago, looked a bit like a maiden aunts lounge. Service was attentive, though drinks order was delivered wrong. Found starters to be bland then oh boy a long wait for the mains, 45 minutes. Arrived and was good without being exceptional. had run out of one ice cream flavour
All in all, not worthy of the hype the restaurant is given, we've had better food in modern surroundings in other town centre Thai's

• Visited March 2014
York, United Kingdom
“Wednesday night promotion”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

We have been a few times so the set menu is looking tired. There needs to be change to keep our interest. To repeat the menu on a Saturday night is an opportunity missed in my opinion. The night we went was really busy and the presentation / taste / quality of the food suffered because of it. You cant beat the atmosphere and the surrounding gardens but there needs to be some improving before we will go again

• Visited February 2014