“Disappointing!!”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 18, 2014

Decided to treat ourselves to late lunch. I ordered pork loin with a crust which was non existent and my husband ordered 28 day hung beef. Vegetables were plentiful but not good quality. My parsnip was black inside, couldn't cut carrots but according to waiter this was because they were big!! Cabbage not cooked.
The beef was changed for Turkey as it took two knives to try to cut it! Manager offered free desserts, but all in all a disappointing meal and won't be returning for a while.

1  Thank jlandrl
There are newer reviews for The Priory

Reviewed May 17, 2014

We've been to The Priory several times and have never been disappointed. It has a very large dining area for a village pub that's tucked away.But it's always busy and although we don't book a table I would recommend booking over weekends and Bank Holidays.

They do accept certain discount cards and my partner has one that gives her 25% off the total bill (including drinks). Worthwhile checking out what discounters they accept.

This is a popular pub that understands its market and caters for them very well. It's not pretentious by any means and the menu is "PUB" but cooked well and of a good quality. The staff are always pleasant and the pub decoration is inoffensive and not very memorable ( a good thing as I hate the newer style wood floor grey/green matt paint places) . All in all for a "safe bet" I would recommend The Priory. You know that the menu will give you a good and solid choice, waitress service and pleasant surroundings. It's a real treat to find a pub that's part of a chain that's so good.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

My family and I were very disappointed by our evening meal here on bank holiday Monday. Staff had obviously not taken into account the likelihood of more people wanting to eat on the holiday, that they had run out of some basics such as burger buns , certain types of burger and rustic bread for the rustic bread starters! Being served a white roll for this without any explanation was not good enough.
We also had a very long wait over an hour and a quarter for our food which was not easy as our party included six smaller children who were very hungry. To be fair to staff they did in the end bring these meals out a little before the adults.
The steak in one of the adult's meals was cold and although this was replaced it was a while and the rest of us had completed our meals. Gourmet chips were asked for and these were not brought out initially for two of the meals.
We have eaten here several times before and have always enjoyed it but tonight was not good and we will not be returning in a hurry.
The only saving grace was team leader James who dealt with our issues very professionally and did take the drinks off the bill as well as the burger meal and the bread starters. I think he was very embarrassed about the whole debacle. I do hope that possibly in the future they are more open about having run out of things and adjust prices accordingly.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

Have visited this pub for many years. Always had a reputation for good pub food. The 'home cooked' element sadly disappeared when it was taken over by one of the pub chains some years ago. The location is great, plenty of parking, pleasant garden and generous seating options inside. During off peak you order food at the bar and at peak times they serve you at your table. Service is usually good and it is advisable to book your table at busy times. The menu offers a good choice and prices are reasonable. Here's the thing, the last few times I have eaten here over the last year or two I have been disappointed, the food is ok but not great. Often over microwaved and dry. I keep coming back, like many other people and the reason is because this pub is a great place, I just wish they could lift the heating/cooking standards so that I could say I enjoyed the food as much as I enjoyed the surroundings.

Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

My fiancé and I took my mother in law for Sunday Roast at the Priory as it's somewhere they've been to many times in the past. Initially told they were only taking bookings for after 3 we arrived at 12. All the tables had reserved signs on them with a time for the booking. This meant we felt rushed. The starter arrived fairly quickly but my fiancé' s seemed to have half the ingredients missing. The mains were over priced for a couple of thin slices of meat, a small bowl of vegetables between the three of us. It seemed that we weren't the only table to feel that a dribble of gravy already on the plate wouldn't be enough to spread over the vegetables too. For a place that used to be so highly thought of its obvious that becoming a part of a chain hasn't done it any favours.

1  Thank Robb W