“poor rooms”

Northover Manor Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ilchester
Reviewed September 2, 2008

hospitality of owner was very good, shame about the rooms, do not stay in the coach house they are small, smell of damp and definatly not worth the money, i challanged the owner about the price and state of the rooms, he agreed they were'nt worth the money but as he could get that amount then he charged it.
shame really could be a nice place but will stay else where in future and not recommend this hotel at all. what will he do when the air base closes.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank macspurs

Reviewed June 5, 2008

Old part of the hotel, dirty rooms, tatty furniture, wardrobe was a rail covered by a tatty curtain, tatty sheets and towels, made me itch. Left early.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed March 16, 2008

We were looking for somewhere to stay on the way back from a trip to Devon. We turned off the A303 looking for a pleasant reasonably priced hotel and hit upon this gem of a place. Ilchester is not that interesting but it could be a convenient base for touring Somerset, Dorset and Devon inland and coastal areas or as a stopover on the way home (as we used it).

The decor in the public areas is modern and relaxing. The evening meal in the restaurant was excellent,the wine was good and reasonably priced too. The breakfast was delicious too. My only criticism is that the public areas could do with being a few degrees warmer in early March. On the other hand, the bedroom was too warm!

The bedroom was plain but comfortable and was very warm - we probably could have turned down the heating but after such an excellent meal and wine, we just fell into bed! The bathroom had no bath and the shower was unusual - I am no expert, but it looked like it was geared up for the disabled but I am not sure how you would use it if you were in a wheelchair!

There was a pleasant outlook over open countryside from our bedroom and we could see our car in the secure parking. In the summer months it looked like you could sit out in the garden; but I think that the owners could improve the garden area. Perhaps this is a future project?

The service was excellent and the staff were very friendly.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 26, 2007

We stayed here for one night for a break from London. We arrived, checked into our room efficiently. It was comfortable but quite basic and had no bath. The hotel had a wedding that evening which we were not told about when booking. Because of this we were not able to eat at the hotel. We therefore booked dinner at the Italian down the road which was fantastic. Check out is at 10am which is bit early we thought!

All in all a good stop off if you are exploring that area. The couple who own the hotel were extremely helpful and made plenty of suggestion for places eat or visit.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 17, 2007

Friendly welcome that continued throughout stay. Yhe hotel was apparently full and perhaps I was unlucky with my room which was in old Coach House. Room very small with tiniest wash basin I have seen in 35 years of travelling. Room clean but troubled by traffic noise from Roman Road below.
Restaurant welcoming and Dinner well prepared and quickly served. Breakfast in the morning hot,good and cheerfully served. Owners upgrading but need to do something about the room I stayed in.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed December 6, 2006

Stayed here a couple of times with my wife, the rooms are excellent with a modern and clean feel. They are very comfortable. The restaraunt is warm and welcoming and the breakfast is as comprehensive as you could imagine. Not much more to add really, superb accomodation, spotlessly clean, tasty food, picturesque setting and not unreasonably priced.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 21, 2006

Having had big problems with another local hotel, which had managed to double book, the nice people at Northover Lodge were very friendly and accommodating to my family and I. Price was in fact, cheaper on a B&B basis than the hotel we were originally booked in to and, I suspect, a fair bit nicer too.

Room size was adequate, even when the need for a travel cot was taken into consideration. Furnishing was stylish and modern, which was an interesting contrast to the building and surroundings.

En-suite was shower only, though this was advised when checking in and was perfectly adequate and pleasingly clean, tidy and functional.

Bed was comfortable and had duvet, as opposed to sheets, with both my Wife and I usually prefer, though given it was mid summer and very hot, we had not cause to use... which leads to my only complaint (or rather 'suggestion', which was made to the staff member when we checked out) regarding the lack of cooling in the room. Air Conditioning in such a building is perhaps impractical, but an electric fan would have made a huge difference. Indeed, when this was suggested, I was advised that some fans had been purchased, but were all in use. I'd definitely recommend getting some more!

Breakfast was excellent, with a Full English or Continental available. Both my wife and I had the former, which was prepared to order. There was also a good range of cereals and a fruit salad available. Service from the staff was excellent.

Gravel Car Park was available to the rear of the premises, with a relief car park available on the grass area beyond that .

Overall, a good value, family friendly hotel, which I would happily visit again - particularly if they invest in those fans!

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business
4  Thank goldfishwatcher
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ilchester
The Ilchester Arms Hotel
Yeovil Court Hotel & Restaurant
The Manor
The Manor
#10 of 13 in Yeovil

Been to Northover Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!