“The Bull Hotel - a sister property”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ilchester
Reviewed April 25, 2012

We had an evening meal in the Bull, which is owned by the same owners as the Ilchester Arms and across the road from it. The food was delicious - properly home-cooked, pleasantly served and reasonably priced.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Ilchester Arms Hotel

Reviewed March 2, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised with how clean and spacious my room was on check-in. The hotel is nice, the building is beautiful. The staff is friendly, though at times the hotel seemed understaffed especially at breakfast.

If you are a light sleeper ask for a room in the rear of the building. I had no issues with it as I have a white noise app on my phone but my colleague complained about it the entire stay which made my stay less enjoyable!

They have a lovely espresso machine but I was told it was not turned on in the mornings during breakfast. This was a bit disappointing as I love coffee and it seemed like an issue of avoiding work by providing less service - likely due to the lack of proper staffing.

Nonetheless, beyond a few complaints which make me sound quite high maintenance, this is a very nice hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on rear side of the building for a quieter room.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 29, 2012

So, how does a place manage to provide a reasonably furnished bedroom with a flat screen tv plus a nice sized bathroom with plenty of towels as well as a full English breakfast for two people for £80 ?
Answer, it turns off the room heating early evening and doesn't put it back on the following morning. It's January, there is frost on the cars in the car park, a gritter went past the window at 10pm yet the heating in our room was off by 10pm. Next morning we a woke at 8am to stone cold radiators , no heating what so ever.
Shame because if not for this, I would have made it a Four rating.

The staff were certainly friendly and welcoming, the menu looked good but we had all ready chosen to eat out. There was some nice pints of real ale being served at the bar. As some one else has commented, more of a B&B than a hotel but that wasn't a bad point in my view. Breakfast was produced very quickly along with two pots of cold coffee... what is it about this place and 'cold '. Would I go back... Yes but I may wait until the summer.!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 23, 2011

We have been coming to eat at this hotel .pub for years the food is of high quality and cooked to perfection consistently .I wish I could cook like the chefs there and it's so cosy and warm in Winter with a real fire in the restaurant at the front .

Room Tip: We didn't stay over so can't comment but I know the rooms are very nice and comfortable
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 5, 2011

The room was comfortable and clean and large enough for a family with extra beds for children. The only bad point I have to make is that the windows are quite thin and it's unfortunate that the weather was so disgusting and windy. The noise of the wind and the rain woke me up, I'm sure if the weather had been nicer I would have slept right through as I was so comfy.

The Bull Inn is fabulous, it's got a really homely feel about it. As we live not far from the village we are often in the Bull for drinks with friends and have eaten here several times. If you're going to eat here then you NEED the steak, it's cooked perfectly however you like it. It was nice to wobble just across the road to bed after celebrating, instead of waiting for a taxi - exactly the point of booking the room!!

As The Ilchester Arms & The Bull Inn are both owned by Lucy and Brendan, you can expect a warm welcome in both!!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 23, 2011

We stayed at this hotel to break up our journey to Cornwall. Firstly the rooms were clean and of an ok standard. I'm a bit dubious about the other reviews that state a warm welcome, when we arrive we waited at the bar for some time before being served, we were then given a key and a bit of paper, that gave info about checking out. The guy behind the bar grunted, no eye contact! and gave me the key, i was not impressed. The room had no information about breakfast so we had to go back down and cue again. Lack of information was frustrating and there were no available staff to talk to. We went to the Bull pub, the food was very good and friendly staff. breakfast was lovely to. It's a shame I think the place is overrated and we expected more for £80 for one night, this is more like a B&B not a hotel.

The noise downstairs was not except able, at one point some guy came out of his room a shouted abusive language, this should be considered in the price charged for a room.

However, food was good.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BraddersCambridge
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Stayed just the one night and the service was impeccable. Food in their restaurant was great quality and the meat of a very high standard. Rooms very clean and everyone on duty so helpful, welcoming and accommodating to our needs.

• Stayed: September 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ilchester
Northover Manor Hotel
The Preston Bed & Breakfast
Lanes Hotel
Lanes Hotel
#1 of 1 in West Coker

Been to The Ilchester Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!