“Shame about the room..”
Review of Sparkford Inn

Sparkford Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Sparkford B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Like a previous reviewer, this place could be so nice but the rooms or at least the room we stayed in, needs a major refurbishment. Shabby I'm afraid, tired and very dated and worn out, but don't get me wrong, we didn't pay a fortune for a one night stay over a Bank Holiday weekend and for one night it wasn't the end of the world. We were pleased enough with the standard and quality of our evening meal and breakfast. Being regulars at Marstons Inns where we live I was somewhat surprised at the overall slightly run down appearance of this pub with rooms so can only hope they make a serious investment in the not too distant future as at the moment the decor makes Premier Inns and Travelodges seem palatial.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

What a shame, this could be such a lovely place but the building is really in poor repair. We had a 'luxury' double, which at £39 b&b was a bargain but it was half price. Had it been £80 I would have demanded my money back. On arrival we were told we would have to eat at 6 as they had a large party booked for 8. The room had a hole in the wall, torn wallpaper, the ensuite was carpeted (which I think is disgusting especially as there were no toilet/bath mats down - you never know what has soaked in!) the bath panel was broken and there was some sort if gunk in the bath which meant we didn't use it. The pillows were as thin as an iPhone and the spares in the wardrobe had no covers on! There were cobwebs everywhere.......need I go on?? We didn't eat here so I can't comment but what we saw looked and smelled nice.
It is a real shame as the location is excellent for exploring Somerset and Dorset and the building could be lovely if marstons could be bothered to spend a few quid doing it up. If it had a bit of tlc and the staff had some friendliness training I would go back but until I see some reviews suggesting that has been the case I don't think I will bother.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 9, 2013

we stayed over as we wanted extra night before going to a rented cottage at queen camel, wasnt expensive and we stayed in the rooms out back....very simple rooms but comfy enough, garden view was of septic tanks but was one night so wasnt bothered. food on night was gorgeous. drinks were well priced and staff were friendly. breakfast next morning was lovely and again staff were great. locals also friendly.
would def reccomend as a cheap stayover place. wouldnt neccesarily book for a week or so.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank funksoul2000
Reviewed April 21, 2013

stayed one night, staff friendly, Breakfast and dinner lovely. Our room was comfortable and nice clean bedding and towels, just new pillows needed, overall definitely worth the 39.95 paid for double room, If in area again I would stay again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 30, 2013

stayed there for my wife's birthday, but i wish i had paid a little more for a lot better. Old, and dated room. light did not work until i asked them to change the lightbulb and breakfast was almost thrown at me, despite not having finished cereal.
Locals in bar also rude ,tried to push in and when i asked for a wine glass to be dried, not cleaned as they were nearly all dirty one asked to have his pint glass cleaned as well.
i also had to clean breakfast table myself
only positive was the evening meal which was acceptable

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 5, 2013

popped in for dinner and had a fab supper of fish pie for me, mixed grill for hubby.
Clean, tidy, polite and friendly staff, happy clientele in busy local bar.
Outdoor space , carparking, etc
Dated but in essence a country pub with happy smiley people.
Will be back if in the area and maybe to stay as it looked clean and well run.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sall-jane
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We booked the night before we arrived @ £35 for a double room with a full English breakfast. The bar man on arrival was very polite and helpful. We went to our room and it was clean and spacious but could do with a bit of tlc.
You get what you pay for and for £35 it was spot on!

• Stayed: March 2013

Been to Sparkford Inn? Share your experiences!