“Fantastic Day out - excellent value for money”
Review of Tropiquaria Zoo

Tropiquaria Zoo
Crawley, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Fantastic Day out - excellent value for money”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Went as a group of 4 adults, a bit worried we would be laughed at for not having a child in tow, I did consider borrowing one but as a group of animal lovers we had to spend some time looking at the rare species advertised on the posters.

There are regular shows throughout the day and we took part in one that allowed us to get up close to unusual animals, We were allowed to hold snakes, lizards and I had my toe nibbled by a giant tortoise...it was all good fun and very informative. although I wish I had given the Arachnoid area a miss.

We moved on to look at the Gibbons, a male and a female...the female took an intense dislike to me and my daughter in law, she threw herself at us, headbutting the glass and pummeling her fists! I am glad she couldn't get to us. The animals all had a lot of space and were well cared for.

The catering was slightly expensive but as you would expect for a holiday attraction, the only wildlife we didn't enjoy was the number of wasps...especially when my daughter in law got stung by one. But a great day out, with or without kids...the species are not your run of the mill animals and make for a good day out.

2 Thank crawleylady

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Not to bad but not the best”
Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

First time I have ever been and I must say was quiet boring , wasn't to much to see or do so left by lunch time . Animals where great well looked after tapair has to be the best along with the monkeys . Place is very dated and not clean because of that . If paying full price it wouldn't be my choose of zoo type place

2 Thank Emma5095
smudgesmate, Owner at Tropiquaria Zoo, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Had this reviewer stayed until lunch time, on the Summer programme she could have seen, ferret racing at 12.30 and 3.30, a puppet show at 1.00pm, otter and meerkat talks at 1.30pm and lemur talks at 3.00pm plus animal encounters in the hall at noon, 2.00pm, 3.00pm and 4.00pm.

She would have been given a map on entry with these times on!
Gloucester, United Kingdom
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Good day out”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

The staff are informative and knowledgeable. They go to a lot of trouble to make sure the animals are safe and everyone gets to stroke or feel - the animals that is not the staff! Café was very reasonable with a great play area inside. The food was good as well as excellent value. There are two big play areas for children outside which were really popular. There are also a lot of "pay to play" toys - in fact everywhere you turn you seem to need another pound coin. These really are poor value for money - no sooner is the child on the ride that the money runs out. Management really need to look at this issue as it was an area for complaint. The rest of it was great - informative, interesting and a good day out. Loved the earlier comments on the radio museum. We went through the same and brought back such memories of my first radio. Loved the early editions of Radio Times. Would go again

4 Thank Michael C
Lincoln, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Much better than we expected”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

OK so it does lack the gloss of a bigger attraction but it also lacks the high price tag as well. We paid £45 for a family of 6 and came away very happy with the value and overall experience.

The children (age 4 to 10) loved getting hands on with the animals, the marionette puppet theater and all of the play equipment indoor and out. The food was nothing to shout about but again was not expensive.

If I lived closer, I would have purchased an annual pass.

2 Thank Chizdad
norwich
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“It's OK, really it is - but don't base your day on a visit”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Went as part of a groupon promotion for £15 for a family. For that price I'd say it was fairly good value. The indoor animals were good. Small exotic birds flying around the atrium. It lacks the gloss that some of the bigger attractions have, for example the stream running inside is clearly a piece of black plastic weighted down by rocks and the whole inside requires a paintjob!! But we went to see the animals and thinking about it there are plenty. The aquarium in the basement is pretty good, some of the tanks looked a little small or overcrowded.

The meerkats and otters were very amusing little creatures. As were the lemurs and Monkeys (can't remember what they were).

The outdoor play area kept the kids entertained, the indoor play area looked fairly new and the cafe prices were OK.

I thought it was alright. Pays not to be too snobbish or to look too hard at the finer details. The animals all looked happy and healthy. Took a short trip to the CIder farm just up the road after!