“Great little zoo”
Review of Tropiquaria Zoo

Tropiquaria Zoo
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We visited Tropiquaria with my 2 year old granddaughter, it was a delightful place, quaint and endearing. The animals appeared happy and well looked after although some of the large insects, such as the tarantula, were in small containers. The staff were wonderful, they clearly loved their work, and were very knowledgeable and helpful. Tropiquaria can't compete with the bigger more commercial zoos but that's where it's charm lies. We enjoyed the 'hands on' experience where the staff took several animals out for a close up view. The radio museum on the same site was also well worth a visit.

5  Thank kaff206

Reviewed May 28, 2013

get up close and friendly with the animals and room for the parents to relax with a well earned coffee

3  Thank kisscycles
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Trop as it's known locally, is best visited in good weather. They really do their best here - it's excellent value and the staff are very knowledgeable. In the hot house you can feed the birds while the staff give a talk. some of the animal pens could do with a bit of refurbishment and extension but they are adequate. lots for children to do after you've seen the animals. Great indoor and outdoor play areas and the cafe offers reasonably priced food that's cooked to order. The cafe does get very busy and if it's raining you can be hard pushed to find a seat but there is plenty of outdoor space. It is a great place to kill a good 4 hours and we go back regularly.

4  Thank Lucy M
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Yes as with many others we nearly turned around after arriving in the carpark.. it just doesn’t shout fun or zoo or day out .. You just get the feeling that your going to spend a whole lot of money on nothing very interesting.
This place is amazing .. BUT …. There are some flaws and that is something the management need to address or they will keep losing people. You get the feeling that this is over and done with in 15 minuites and I see from the reviews people have done as I was about to and just left.. you feel like you see a few animals in cages and boom its over.. I was ready to get my money back I was far from impressed.

On arrival we didn’t feel comfortable, we just felt un noticed.. it was like I had gone to visit a farm and I don’t mean a public farm I mean somewhere that animals are looked after, we could see staff and they could see us but it didn’t feel like a visitor attraction, it was like we paid an entrance fee to look at the caged animals. We didn’t even know which way we should go, I think they are so used to their own surroundings they have forgotten that visitors need guidance. There needs to be some ZOO type signage, almost a fun factor .. arrows pointing to where things are or give people a way to go… just have a meeting and think a little more about ‘ visitor attraction’ and you will win!
Ok.. so now why am I writing this review.. After I had all the negative feelings I decided I have paid for this so lets make the most of it and it really did turn in to a day out.
I actually cannot believe that I nearly left … If you go you must give it time get involved and you will enjoy it.. I actually don’t want to say to much so not to ruin the element of surprise but they give you a list of times where things happen, feeding animals etc make sure you attend them this is where they have got the business right “ visitor attraction “ defiantly.
Also there is more to the place than the cages, I didn’t realise there was an indoor area – go there you will like 
At first I thought the cost of entry was unjustified but … I now ask myself what do I pay to get in to a soft play centre and its only a fraction more… and yes it does have a softplay area.. or similar. It also has the pirate ships.
The highlight of my day was the Puppets it was like stepping back in time AMAZING. I do wish I could have recorded some though as it would have been nice to show people. Just a suggestion maybe record a short show and put on youtube or something so visitors can show their friends and family what they have experienced.
I always review a place on would I go back and the answer is YES .. it makes a great family day out I just wish they would do a little more to the entrance car park and entry feeling because they would have so much more business and without a doubt they deserve it !!

1  Thank galvin81
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We had a great day despite the bad weather. Staff were very friendly and lots put on for the Easter Holiday's. Puppet show and ferret race were a huge hit! Some of the areas that were not so great on our last visit have been addressed and look much better. Would it be possible to have some buckets and spades in the sandpit for younger children?