“High Expectations, Low Perception”

Holiday Inn Barnsley
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Dodworth
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I needed to book a hotel for a three night business stay in Yorkshire and being a fan of the Holiday Inn Express brand, I opted to give this sister brand a go - expecting a slightly better experience. Not so!

The images on the website look great and the actual hotel looks grand; outside and in. That's where it stops though, in terms of matching my expectations. However, the staff were very friendly and recognised my rewards status; which does not bother me but does some. I was late arriving but still found a warm smile and that is always a good start.

On getting into my room, I soon found a bed that was uncomfortable and the quilt was a joke, to be fair. The pillows were as thick in a pair, as one found in the HIE or Premier Inn, so it was lucky I only need one normally. I just could not believe the quilt though - I could be forgiven for thinking it was a double quilt in a queen cover, as it just did not fill it. Luckily it was warm though, so the air conditioning helped that.

As I was late on night one, I opted for room service; having driven from Scotland and hungry. Never again! The cost for a plate of noodles and some duck was an absolute joke - but I was hungry. The second night seen me giving the restaurant a visit and the menu did not appeal, however they saved the day by having a buffet on, at a reasonable cost, and it was nice. I brought a sandwich in with on night three as I just did not want another meal from the hotel.

On night two, there was hardly anywhere to park due to a Prom night, but we were all young once and I just tried to find a safe spot for the car and plodded on. Then came my much anticipated early night, which was spoilt by dance music blaring from downstairs! Hotel or nightclub?

Great staff, good location, free access to Bannantynes club next door but don't expect great standards.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Maris_Fifer
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Barnsley, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2013

Dear Maris_Fifer,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. I appreciate the compliments on the staff and the level of service provided. Let me take this opportunity to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced over the bed and the quilt, as well as breakfast. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and we hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Don't stay here if: you want to check-in on time, expect to receive food within an hour of ordering, enjoy edible food and expect to be given a room that doesn't already have someone else asleep in the bed when you walk-in.

This hotel, also know as 'Brooklands' used to have a good reputation and unfortunately i stayed here and recommended to family and friends to stay here the day before and the weekend of my wedding (thankfully held at another venue).
After 2 hours waiting to check in beyond the stated time given by Holiday Inn, without any member of staff willing to give updates, we then received terrible service in the restaurant from a rude waitress saying we should expect to wait 25mins once ordered - she obviously didn't realise it had already been 45mins. To add to this insult the food that came out was distinctly average.
The hotel seemingly took on too many various functions (i could see a wedding, a charity function and a birthday on the Friday we arrived) with not enough members of staff to accomodate, particularly in the bar which had 2 people serving well over a hundred in the bar so you can imagine the frustrations in that room. The final part saw my new in-laws get checked into their room at night only to be given a room that was actually someone else's and the people in question were in bed asleep.

I was and still am embarrassed to have recommended this to my family. In fairness to the manager he did try to appease my complaints and offered to take the cost of some of the meal (not all) and 1 round of drinks. Unfortunately he started to receive numerous complaints from other people, particularly those that dined in the restaurant, and it started to get a little much.

Unless you can guarantee you are the only people staying at this hotel, do not stay here. Even if you do, eat out or order a take-away as both will be quicker and taste better.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Barnsley, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Dear Steve G,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us, we value your loyalty to our brand and hotels. Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests and for that please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you have experienced and if your stay was negatively affected by the service you received from our hotel.. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope that we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future and show you just how much we care about delivering an above average experience.

Krysllin G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I have just spent two nights here with my wife and two year old son. The hotel is very worthy of its 4* rating, with upmarket public areas and a large, well equipped and clean room with the usual excellent HI bed, duvets and pillows. The restaurant food was of a commendable standard, both breakfast and dinner, with friendly and unobtrusive service. Free use of the next door health club and spa was appreciated, ad my son enjoyed the pool. But the very best thing about this hotel is the amazing staff- from reception through bar and restuarant staff to room service they were friendly, helpful and willing to please. Even when our son was sick all over our bed at 10pm the staff arranged a complete new set of bedding within minutes, with a smile too!! Stay here, great value and relaxing stay, highly recommended by a seasoned traveller.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My daughters wedding reception was held at this hotel on saturday 15th june 2013, Everything went as planned they had a wedding planner to help with all the arrangements who was excellent, The hotel lived upto it's reputation food-reception rooms- staff-gardens,we stayed the night at the hotel and the room was huge, very clean & well set out everything you need,The hotel staff were superb nothing was too much trouble for them they helped put everyone at ease, The entire venue overall is as near perfection as you could ask for, A huge thankyou to everyone who was involved. Even the weather behaved!!! sunshine a rare thing these days!!!!

Room Tip: We had room number 202 which was at the rear of the hotel (nice and peaceful )
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tomjackie209967
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Good hotel for a business trip, no hassle, helpful staff.
This particular room had the door lock broken so everytime i went out i needed to apply a litlle trick to be able to close it. Even though they promised to fix it meanwhile nothing changed during my 3 days staying there. But as i was not much in the hotel it didnt bother me as if i would have been in a vacation holiday.
Otherwise the breaskfast options are various and very tasty.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Everything great but only issue was asked for some choc sachets for room they said yes and they would bring them and so I got changed and they didn't and couldn't ring as phone not working. Otherwise great

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

This is an excellent venue. Most definetely the best thing about Barnsley. We used this hotel as a base while touring the area. The rooms and breakfast were lovely, the staff were very cheery as we walked in. The leisure facilities are at Bannatynes across the car park and the pool was also very nice. It was all very clean and warm. We would definately stop here again if in the area.

• Stayed: June 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dodworth
Ibis Styles Barnsley hotel
#1 of 1 in Scissett
Cedar Court Hotel Wakefield
Cedar Court Hotel Wakefield
#1 of 1 in Calder Grove

Been to Holiday Inn Barnsley? Share your experiences!