“Too many things went wrong.”

Holiday Inn Barnsley
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Dodworth
Hamble, United Kingdom
“Too many things went wrong.”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We decided to take advantage of a good value 2 night deal to stay here when we visited our friends in Barnsley.
We arrived well after the check in time to be told our room was not ready and had to wait nearly an hour for this to be done.
When our friends arrived in the evening they asked if we liked the flowers and the card they had arranged and I had to sadly say that we had not received them. At the time no one could locate them, the next morning the flowers were found in reception but we never received the card.
We decided to eat in on the Sunday afternoon and the meal we had in the bar area was very poor and took over 75 minutes to appear (I think the kitchen must have been undermanned as others were complaining about the same issues).
The good point was that the front staff ie bar, reception and breakfast staff were very nice and apologised for the failures.
I would even with these issues stay there again as the people we met were trying very hard.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Barnsley, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Dear pdjlk,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. I am glad you mentioned the efforts of some of our hotel staff. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and regret our service did not live up to your expectations.

Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Zelyn N
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
pontefract
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We just spent week end away in Barnsley, much fun made of us from our family, but the groupon offer too good to miss. The Holiday Inn was fantastic, food and service. Room, big clean and bright and choice of pillows, shower needed a repair, done in an instant thank you. The receptionist so very friendly and helpful, the restaurant staff gave you full attention and service excellent. The food super, hot and plentiful, thank you chef and kitchen support. overall we had a brilliant week end and hope to return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GRHIBarnsley, General Manager at Holiday Inn Barnsley, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for your recent visit to the Holiday Inn Barnsley and completing this Tripadvisor review.

My team and I were excited to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your recent stay with us. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the hopefully not too distant future.

If there is anything further we can assist with, please do not hesitate in contacting a member of the hotel team who will be more than happy to help.

With Kind Regards
Jason Hiley
Group General Manager
Barnsley, S Yorkshire
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Booked afternoon tea with family members. We were asked to choose which sandwiches we wanted from the menu, which we did. However when the afternoon tea arrived half the ingredients were missing. Advertised - Ham and Vine Tomato sandwich - plain ham sandwich received. Chicken, lettuce and mayo sandwich - plain chicken. I did speak to the staff there which replaced with the correct things but it's not a very good place when they can't get sandwiches right! I don't think they have many people having afternoon tea there (don't ask for more than 1 coffee as they charge extra). In the end it was a nice afternoon but think tat was more the company i was in than the food. I was just very disappointed that had to complain about something that should just not happen, do they not read their own menu in the kitchen? I won't be attending for afternoon tea there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Barnsley, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear starfish9999,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I was disappointed to read that when you visited the restaurant you did not enjoy your experience, we will forward your comments to the appropriate parties. I do apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced.

We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Jaime W
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I attended a wedding at the hotel last month and had a wonderful time. Everything from the welcome to the bar service (an important thing for me and my hubby - wink) went smoothly. But even more importantly I watched as the bride had every whim and wish catered for.
We stayed the night and even though I have to admit nothing but a nuclear blast would've woken me that night.
It was very comfortable, clean and well worth the money.
Enjoyable weekend, great helpful staff, and resonable booze ... what more could we want?

Room Tip: Make sure you're on time for the breakfast. I really enjoyed it!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 1night with our 3 year old son. On arrival room wasn't ready but we were advised we can use neighbouring spa facilities & on return in will be. It was. Spa facilities decent enough.
Room basic but clean & roomy enough for 3 of us. Large bathroom.
The bar was good with lots of space & nice atmosphere.
Staff really good throughout, very helpful & insisted on helping where they could.
We only stayed for a bit of a change but had really good experience.
Excellent value for money

• Stayed March 2013
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Visited during bad snow, easy to find, just off the M1. First impressions good, reception helpful. Room was clean, big and had all I needed for a quick stop over.

It only went wrong when we ordered food in the bar/lounge area. Very quiet area, had football on the large TV, however reception was so poor (looked like it was snowing), you could hardly make it out. Ordered starters, to be told they had run out of certain parts of our order. The mains were just dreadful, pasta with mussels which had sand in, and what looked like crab sticks?? 2 fish and chips also turned up 10 minutes apart, the first was ok, the second had raw chips, sent back. The next meal was not much better, fish was slimy!

In short, stay here, just don't eat here. We didn't get chance to sample the health club, but looked well equipped.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Barnsley, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Dear Cheeksontour,

Thank you for reviewing our property. I am pleased to read that you found our rooms to be clean and comfortable. However, please accept my sincerest apologies that the food served during your visit did not meet your expectations. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments to consider for enhancements needed.

Pam G.
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Good hotel, I liked the fact you pay for your room, and there are no hidden charges for the internet or the gym, room was lovely, breakfast was good, excellent gym facilities. Would stay again and recommend to people with or without children.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Paula Y
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dodworth
Ibis Styles Barnsley hotel
Wortley Hall
Wortley Hall
#1 of 1 in Wortley
Premier Inn Barnsley (Dearne Valley) Hotel

Been to Holiday Inn Barnsley? Share your experiences!