“Great venue for a function, meeting, a stay, fantastic value.”

Holiday Inn Barnsley
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Dodworth
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I used this venue for a function for over 140 guests. Close to the M1 motorway is serve the country well as a central location. Very clean and tidy. The staff were all excellent. The food was spot on, no grumbles at all. Staying the night we had a well appointed clean and modern room. Great value with top service. So good its booked again for next year.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed here 22nd September 2012 for one night. 2 adults 2 children. we had one of the larger roms. As we checked in, the girl didnt tell us anything, nothing about the breakfast etc.
We were meant to have 2 beds. there was 1. We called down & they came & made the childrens up. after 20 mins wait at 11PM! we asked for more robes- none were sent up. The king bed was so hard & uncomfortable. sheets were rock hard! needless to say a horrid night sleep! next morning breakfast ok. We had to call down again as only 2 towels! for a family room! crazy!
its a shame as when we walked into the room, it was nice & big & didnt look that bad. it wasnt, just beds were so bad!
PS after we told the dep manager he dealt with it and was great!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Barnsley, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Dear PB1Oxford,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and I regret you were not fully satisfied with the conditions of the room you received. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving the quality and services we offer.

Your patronage and support to the hotel is very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed September 22, 2012

Second stay here, and, as previously, delightful staff. A few problems this time, with room maintenance, but suppose these things happen - trust it wasn't the way things are going....will be back, in order to find out.....

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I have stopped at this hotel on several occasions over the years and I am afraid to say that standards are not getting any better.

It is a lovely hotel and has great potential, however this potential is yet to be reached.

On my last visit the hotel lacked atmosphere and STAFF!. It is apparent that since christmas the hotel has been on a bit of a decline. On the arrival check in as you would expect, the rooms lovely as long as you get a refubished one however these can be inconsistant with the cleanliness i.e no soap, bins aren't always empited and basic items missing such as an iron or tv remote, it is always something different each time. The food has improved slightly however the service has plummitted with staff who don't seem to want to be there. The last time i overheard them gossiping between themselves and other guests how they never have any staff on at busy periods and the managers are useless. Not very professional, i would be furious if i heard my staff talking like this.
I didnt have breakfast on this occassion so cannot comment, check out was ok but not much interaction.
I hope this hotel can recover and get its charm back, its a real shame to see the hotel after its glory days when it was the Brooklands.

Room Tip: Request a room on the second floor and one which is away from any noise for weddings
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
GMHIBarnsley, General Manager at Holiday Inn Barnsley, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Dear Valued Guest

It is with great regret and disappointment to have read your review. It is the full intention of the management and team in ensuring all of our guests receive a great experience, and I sincerely apologise that you feel the hotel is not as good as it was a year ago.

In order for me to investigate your experiences, and work towards restoring your faith in the Holiday Inn Barnsley, I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you. Please contact me on 07880 700680 or Jason@hibarnsley.com.

I appreciate your candid feedback and hope to resolve the dissatisfaction with your recent stay

Yours

Jason Hiley
Group General Manager

Reviewed September 14, 2012

Ours was a brief stopover on the way to see relatives, so it was a purely bath and bed experience - I can't comment on the food, but I regret no trying it after reading other reviews.

Bath - brilliantly hot water and lots of it. Nice clean bathroom, generous towels - a slightly too honest and well lit bathroom mirror. I just took my specs off so I couldn't see too clearly ;-)

Bed - well, a massive improvement on Premier Inn's beds! Very comfortable, and I would imagine blissful if you are sleeping alone, but a bit of a roll together for two - not to worry because the rest made up for it. Ample pillows - and you can ask for feather! (Bliss.) And crisp clean bedding, all in a well sized room.

The receptionist was lovely (I wish I had taken her name) - very helpful, and very friendly to our young son, and explained that there was a wedding reception so there may be some noise....but that she had placed us in the quieter area, so we shouldn't be bothered. We weren't at all.

The hotel was easy to find, although we did have a sat nav - I suggest it should be signed better from the main roundabout though, for those without. (Unless I missed the directional sign.) A nice setting, attractive approach, and not too far for a little toddle down to the local shops, although we did appreciate the complimentary newspaper on the morning, so we didn't have to bother. Very attractive reception area, with sofas and good wifi access - our son took full advantage of both and very comfortable he looked too.

All in all we would definitely stay again. It was almost exactly half way in our journey across country, but I would suggest that for anyone travelling up or down the M1 it is a great place to stay, just two minutes off the main carriageway, although you wouldn't know it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We booked having read recent excellent reviews a two night weekend stay in a Deluxe Room. We had specifically asked for a quiet room as we are not sound sleepers. The room allocated was at the back with noisy air conditioning units outside the window, which were still very noisy with the window closed. After complaining we were allocated a standard room which we were told had been recently refurbished and a part refund. It had certainly not been refurbished as round the bath edges was mildew, and paintwork in need of a coat of paint. The bed had a cover on the mattress presumably for the incontinent, which was very hot!!
Tried to book a meal in the restaurant, but was advised there was a dinner dance which we could join at £27 a head. Alternatively we could get a bar meal. This we done but shared the bar with a Wedding party and 60th Birthday party. It was a shame this was not advised at time of booking as we would not have booked.
The bedroom walls were also wafer thin as we were able to hear clearly the television in the next room, both early evening and when the occupants returned after midnight when their party downstairs had finished.
Whilst the breakfast was adequate unfortunately the 'hot food' was not hot.The staff in the breakfast room were attentive.
Overall an experience which we will not repeat here or if this is the standard of Holiday Inn anywhere.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Barnsley, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2012

Dear Graham B,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. I truly appreciate your feedback regarding our attentive staff at the breakfast area as we pride our selves on excellent customer service. I am disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. Please accept my apologies that you were not fully satisfied with the room accommodations, breakfast options as well as the air conditioning unit that caused such discomfort. Rest assured that your comments have been documented and will certainly be looked into.

Again, thank you for your feedback as this is our best resource of improving guest services. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you the improvements made.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHG Care

Reviewed August 24, 2012

One night Groupon deal £59 for two,3course dinner and breakfast,local attraction tickets,and use of pool,gym next door.Unbelievable value,dinner was attended by caring,friendly,helpful staff.Food was outstanding.Room clean,comfortable,well stocked with refreshments.Pool next door was very clean,plenty of facilities,great fun!!Went last year,will go again without doubt.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dodworth
Ibis Styles Barnsley hotel
#1 of 1 in Scissett
Cedar Court Hotel Wakefield
Cedar Court Hotel Wakefield
#1 of 1 in Calder Grove

Been to Holiday Inn Barnsley? Share your experiences!