“Cold, dated but friendly staff”
Review of George Hotel

George Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Burslem
Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

The George inn is very dated, my window in my room wouldn't close due to poor repair and my room was very cold! The car park is also very small so you need to make sure you arrive early to secure a place. To be honest there isn't much I can say that is positive apart from the staff are massively friendly and the hotel offers free wifi! Unfortunately will not be staying here again!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Salty1986

Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed here because we couldn't get a taxi home due to the snow. We were given a triple room for half the rack rate. The staff were friendly. The bar is reasonably priced and the bar area is attractive. The hotel is faded and tired inside, but clean.
The room was fine. Beds comfy. The bathroom was ugly (lino floor to ceiling) but clean.
The receptionist was lovely, helpful and friendly.
It's no frills, but comfortable and friendly.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rebecca S
Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

This was our second visit to the George hotel. Our room was upgraded upon checking in which was a nice touch. Yes the decor is tired, but once again we had a very comfy bed and nice clean room and bathroom. The shower was good and the water pressure fine.
Sunday morning we slept late and missed breakfast. However nothing was too much trouble for staff who made me a lovely hot sandwich. Thank you Millie, we had a great stay and will be back.

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank studynut
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed on Saturday 20th October as a wedding we were attending was held at the hotel. First problem, not enough parking, as we are not from the area we telephoned the hotel to ask where we should park to be told "I don't know". After 40mins of driving around we finally got parked and entered the hotel. First impressions are ok but tired. Very young staff throughout although they were all friendly and tried to be helpful.
The bedroom we were allocated was disgusting, wallpaper falling off, the bed bowed and looked like it would collapse, the bathroom was smelly and roughly cleaned, the kettle was filthy and dirty cups. Terrible. After complaining we were told, "the hotel is full so we cannot move you and even if we did the rooms are all of the same standard" !!!
We quickly searched for another in the area but was stuck as everywhere was full at such short notice. The room for the Wedding reception was nice and again tired.
My husband and I spent a restless night trying to sleep on the awful bed which was very springy and worm - we ended up sleeping on top of the duvet to try and get some comfort and padding. As you can image we did not sleep well at all.
The selection at breakfast was ok and we both had a hot breakfast only to find within 2 hours we were both sick and feeling sick...Having only eaten hotel food i can just assume this was the reason. All in all, I couldn't ever recommend this hotel, I have never been so glad to go home and I have stayed in far superior Premier Inn's and Travel Lodges.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 413anonymous
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Stayed here because of the vicinity of a party we were attending. Whilst we have stayed before I would have, based on previous experience given a 3 rating. However this time it is lucky to get a 2. It was awful. Our first allotted room was nothing more than a box room. The wardrobe doors could not be opened fully because they hit the bed. There was no curtain in the shower which had windows looking onto the rear of the hotel. There had been a curtain at some point because the rusty curtain rail and rings were still there. Even if you did shower in there it was too small to dry off without having the door open. We did not look further...... We changed rooms.

Room two.....(double occupancy). No chair. The only place to sit was on the bed. No mirror in the bedroom meaning the hairdryer mounted on the bedroom wall was useless and my wife could not use her hair straighteners. Are mirrors so expensive that The George can not afford to fit them?
Pillows were so flat...not more than 2-3 inches of filling, that it would be akin to sleeping flat on ones back. Only 2 bath towels...no hand towels. No splash guard for the shower which ran off the taps. Trying to shower was a joke...the water pressure was little more than a trickle. The water temperature was very erratic. The crockery for coffee/tea making comprised 2 cups, one saucer and one dirty spoon.....oh and two disposable plastic cup things in the bathroom.

These rooms make Travel Lodge or Premier look luxurious.

The whole hotel is shabby...the outside has large weeds growing from the upper part of the building. It is in need of total remodeling.

Getting things rectified took an age. The staff were tending to two wedding parties and were simply overwhelmed to the detriment of guests staying there.

To close on a good note....the bar staff were the one good thing the hotel had going for it. Courteous and efficient.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.........
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ROGER C
Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at The George because we needed a bed for the night in Burslam. I was concerned by previous reviews.
I would say to anyone thinking of booking this hotel to consider what's important to you in a hotel. If you want contemporary decor then forget it. But if you want a comfy bed with crisp white bed linen and fluffy towels, all very clean, then book now!
I can't comment on breakfast because I decided to stay in the comfy bed for an extra half hour instead!
I will stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed at The George in August (myself and 2 teenage sons) whilst visitng Alton Towers. The hotel is huge and I'm sure in it's day was spectacular. However, it does look tired now but as another reviewer said, it would probably cost a fortune to re-do. Lobby area and bar were well presented - but our bedroom was in need of a facelift. The bedding was clean, as was the bathroom and towels. It took my youngest son to work out how to use the shower for me, but there was always hot water. We only ate breakfast and it was very good - you choose what cooked items you want as well as the usual buffet choices. BUT they filled HP sauce bottles with non-HP sauce - you cant fool an expert ! The staff were very friendly and made us feel very welcome. I sat in the bar with my eldest on both nights we stayed, just for 1 glass of wine, and felt very safe and comfortable. As a female without her husband on hand, this isnt something I would normally feel comfy doing. Place wasnt the closest the Alton Towers it could be and the evening food didnt suit the boys, but there were plenty of places to eat in the surrounding area. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Triple room is a twin with the bed split and a put me up - the put me up wasnt too great.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank fisharescary
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burslem
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
#1 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
Best Western Stoke East
Best Western Stoke East
#7 of 12 in Stoke-on-Trent

Been to George Hotel? Share your experiences!