“Awful” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Burslem
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed on Saturday 20th October as a wedding we were attending was held at the hotel. First problem, not enough parking, as we are not from the area we telephoned the hotel to ask where we should park to be told "I don't know". After 40mins of driving around we finally got parked and entered the hotel. First impressions are ok but tired. Very young staff throughout although they were all friendly and tried to be helpful.
The bedroom we were allocated was disgusting, wallpaper falling off, the bed bowed and looked like it would collapse, the bathroom was smelly and roughly cleaned, the kettle was filthy and dirty cups. Terrible. After complaining we were told, "the hotel is full so we cannot move you and even if we did the rooms are all of the same standard" !!!
We quickly searched for another in the area but was stuck as everywhere was full at such short notice. The room for the Wedding reception was nice and again tired.
My husband and I spent a restless night trying to sleep on the awful bed which was very springy and worm - we ended up sleeping on top of the duvet to try and get some comfort and padding. As you can image we did not sleep well at all.
The selection at breakfast was ok and we both had a hot breakfast only to find within 2 hours we were both sick and feeling sick...Having only eaten hotel food i can just assume this was the reason. All in all, I couldn't ever recommend this hotel, I have never been so glad to go home and I have stayed in far superior Premier Inn's and Travel Lodges.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank 413anonymous

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
CALNE
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

Stayed here because of the vicinity of a party we were attending. Whilst we have stayed before I would have, based on previous experience given a 3 rating. However this time it is lucky to get a 2. It was awful. Our first allotted room was nothing more than a box room. The wardrobe doors could not be opened fully because they hit the bed. There was no curtain in the shower which had windows looking onto the rear of the hotel. There had been a curtain at some point because the rusty curtain rail and rings were still there. Even if you did shower in there it was too small to dry off without having the door open. We did not look further...... We changed rooms.

Room two.....(double occupancy). No chair. The only place to sit was on the bed. No mirror in the bedroom meaning the hairdryer mounted on the bedroom wall was useless and my wife could not use her hair straighteners. Are mirrors so expensive that The George can not afford to fit them?
Pillows were so flat...not more than 2-3 inches of filling, that it would be akin to sleeping flat on ones back. Only 2 bath towels...no hand towels. No splash guard for the shower which ran off the taps. Trying to shower was a joke...the water pressure was little more than a trickle. The water temperature was very erratic. The crockery for coffee/tea making comprised 2 cups, one saucer and one dirty spoon.....oh and two disposable plastic cup things in the bathroom.

These rooms make Travel Lodge or Premier look luxurious.

The whole hotel is shabby...the outside has large weeds growing from the upper part of the building. It is in need of total remodeling.

Getting things rectified took an age. The staff were tending to two wedding parties and were simply overwhelmed to the detriment of guests staying there.

To close on a good note....the bar staff were the one good thing the hotel had going for it. Courteous and efficient.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.........
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ROGER C

Travelers are raving about these Burslem hotels

Uxbridge
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at The George because we needed a bed for the night in Burslam. I was concerned by previous reviews.
I would say to anyone thinking of booking this hotel to consider what's important to you in a hotel. If you want contemporary decor then forget it. But if you want a comfy bed with crisp white bed linen and fluffy towels, all very clean, then book now!
I can't comment on breakfast because I decided to stay in the comfy bed for an extra half hour instead!
I will stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012
surrey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed at The George in August (myself and 2 teenage sons) whilst visitng Alton Towers. The hotel is huge and I'm sure in it's day was spectacular. However, it does look tired now but as another reviewer said, it would probably cost a fortune to re-do. Lobby area and bar were well presented - but our bedroom was in need of a facelift. The bedding was clean, as was the bathroom and towels. It took my youngest son to work out how to use the shower for me, but there was always hot water. We only ate breakfast and it was very good - you choose what cooked items you want as well as the usual buffet choices. BUT they filled HP sauce bottles with non-HP sauce - you cant fool an expert ! The staff were very friendly and made us feel very welcome. I sat in the bar with my eldest on both nights we stayed, just for 1 glass of wine, and felt very safe and comfortable. As a female without her husband on hand, this isnt something I would normally feel comfy doing. Place wasnt the closest the Alton Towers it could be and the evening food didnt suit the boys, but there were plenty of places to eat in the surrounding area. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Triple room is a twin with the bed split and a put me up - the put me up wasnt too great.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank fisharescary
Limerick, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

Stayed for one night and hotel was clean, pleasant staff and nice bar/lounge.

Previous reviews for this place are shocking. We never saw any of what had previously been described. The bedroom was very clean: clean mattress, sheets, towels carpets. No noise, rowdiness, drug dealers (as someone said) etc. Burslem is a bit if a run down area but all the locals were very warm, welcoming and friendly.

Sharon the manager was lovely and very helpful. Breakfast was fine too and in our opinion, The George was worthy of its AA 3 star accreditation.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Alan D
Saint Stephen, St Austell, Cornwall, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

I stayed at the George last Saturday as an overnight stop as others have said on here before the décor is a little tired in places but when you see the size of the place it would cost ££££ to re decorate in one go so all I would say to those people is get a life and be serious. All the areas I saw were clean and tidy. The room had everything you need shower, toilet, TV, hair dryer, kettle & Bed etc it was a bit dated apart form the LCD TV on the wall but clean and the bed was comfortable. It is in the middle of town but we had no problems with noise Ethan though there were two weddings in the hotel at the same time. The food was fantastic with a buffet breakfast. The staff are polite and friendly I have recommended the George to my mum and dad who are going to book in there in October. I will defiantly go back next time I’m in the area.
Thank you to all the staff for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nathan L
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

It wasnt terrible but i wouldnt stay here again. The rooms where very dated and musky, there was an awful noise coming from the fan in the bathroom. The area isn't a very nice one to stay in, even if it is just overnight.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank pringle00
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burslem
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
Premier Inn Stoke-On-Trent (Hanley) Hotel
BEST WESTERN PLUS Stoke-On-Trent Hanley Moat House Hotel
Borough Arms Hotel
Borough Arms Hotel
#2 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
Holiday Inn Express Stoke-on-Trent
Premier Inn Stoke/Trentham Gardens Hotel

Been to George Hotel? Share your experiences!