“great hotel,brilliant venue, helpfull friendly staff”
Review of George Hotel

George Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Burslem
Reviewed August 9, 2011

Held our wedding at this hotel on 30th july. Staff were superb and the venue was great, room prices were discounted for guests with breakfast included. Could not have asked for a better place to have held our wedding and place for our guests to have stayed.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank vickypoole36

Reviewed July 31, 2011

I went here today to celebrate a family meal out with my Mum & Dad, sister & Brother-in-Law.
All I can say is "Never again".
The food was luke warm and very bland and unappealing. We mentioned this to the waiting on staff, who informed the so called Chef...who then sent one of his staff out to test the cardboard chips !!!! Which were not only the wrong temperature...but VERY unappealing.
We were really looking forward to a nice HOT meal, the place was really set up very nice and it is a shame that the food let the place down. (There was even old food on the floor under the tablecloth) Needless to say we did not finish our meal and declined to give them any more money for a sweet!!!
We were not the only people to leave with the same opinion, but to no avail. Quite a few people left disappointed, as did we.
Needless to say, we will NOT be visiting this establishment again, and will advise the people I know to do the same.
If anyone wishes for a carvery do not visit The George Hotel...unless you like luke warm food.
It is a shame that a lovely establishment like this and people are trying to get Burslem back on the map, so to speak, will be left disappointed. Not a very good advertisement for the town.

2  Thank Kay186377
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I needed a hotel in Stoke on Trent and chose the George based purely on its price. At £49 room only and having read the reviews I wasnt expecting anything fantastic.
The hotel is situated on the corner of a very busy road junction. It has a car park which can probably take 8 cars comfortably but is free so no complaints there.
The hotel from the outside is very old fashioned and this continued into the reception area. The girl on reception was very pleasant. Offered me the choice of prebooking breakfast or a late check out and also spa treatments although no actual information was given with regards to this.
I stayed in room 109 which was on the first floor overlooking the main road. The room was very oldfashioned and could have done with some modernisation. The ceiling was peeling, the bathroom very old but it was clean. Disappointed only to have the smallest shower cubicle in the world and no bath. The bathroom also had an extractor fan which made a racket. The room has tea and coffee facilities and a nice small flat screen tv on the wall. There was also a hairdryer. No air conditioning so this meant I had to sleep with the window open and what a mistake that was. Possibly the worse nights sleep I have had in ages!! The road was constantly busy with trucks etc.
I didnt eat in the hotel, however they were advertising 3 course evening meals for £15.95. I did have a drink in the bar which was pleasant and cost me £7 for a beer and a large wine.
Just so you are aware there are a number of traditional pubs within a few minutes walking distance from The George - all very friendly, however none of them serve food on a Monday or Tuesday! The only places available within walking distance for food were an Indian or KFC!
I probably wouldnt stay at the George again, purely because its location was wrong for me, however its ok, its not great but I guess you get what you pay for!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 18, 2011

I cannot comment on an overnight stay at the hotel as me & my mother visited the hotel for one day. As we had vouchers for 3 spa treatments at the Holistic Health & Spa which is managed within the hotel and to have our lunch within the George Hotel. However, the hotel was very clean & the decor inside is really nice with local memorabilia set in cabinets.

We were greeted by the hotel staff on arrival & they seemed pleasant, we then went onto start our amazing day at the Spa with Carol May who was so professional, caring, delicate & precise. I would definately recommend it to anyone to go to the spa for treatments. We thoroughly enjoyed every minute of our day and weren't made to feel rushed. We felt like royality.

After our treatments we had lunch within the hotel, it was a 2 course meal for £7 & the food was absolutely delicious, the girl who served it to us was ever so nice and chatty, made us feel very welcome.

I will definately be going back to the George Hotel for spa treatments & lunch, the day was perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for carol May in the SPa
Reviewed July 14, 2011

To be honest the place is dirty & they are trying to do the place up but the smell of paint is over powering.

My room the bed linen had black mould type stains on them & to be honest it is not a nice place for £10.00 per but to pay £55.00 was a insult.

It must be Stoke for the other twom in our party stayed in the Quality Inn & that was worst.

TOP TIP - don;t stay in Stoke

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Davidjohn
Reviewed July 5, 2011

As part of family weekend away myself and 7 other family members booked in to the George hotel for 1 night of our break this was the only down side to an otherwise enjoyable weekend.
On arrival we walked up the steps in to the reception area only to see what looked like a well oiled stag do in the main bar area and to males in there early 20's stumbling down the corridor attemping to hold each other up, great first impression especially with 2 young children with us. Anyway after checking in and being incorrectly charged me and my partner went to our room, the stairs were threadbare, there was wallpaper hanging off the walls and i dont mean the corner peeling i mean a 6ft piece hanging from the ceiling. Our room was dated as per the rest of the hotel and looked like it could do with a good clean and dragging out of the 1970's. Other members in our party had similar problems like no hot water, no bathroom light, bath tap fell off, the list goes on. At least the entertainment was good just a shame we were not invited as the wedding that had been going on had a disco that seemed to be loud enough for every guest to hear. And then the couple in the room next to ours we arguing well in to the early hours of the morning in fact the last cry of dic$head was ay 04:30
A real moan i know and i am not that fussy but this was like a run down 18 - 30's hotel and i cant stress enough that you should avoid at all costs unless its a stag or hen weekend your after.

2  Thank bristolred77
Reviewed June 18, 2011

After finding this place on another web site I was excited to get such a good deal. Recently been staying in Premier Inns and wanted something with character and the George has character. Unfortunately its character is shabby, dated, smells funny, dingy and looks nothing like the website. Sure it had its hayday back in the 70's but looks like it hasn't been decorated since then! The website is the worst case of false advertising I've seen. Staff were friendly and its cheap.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank SimLuc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burslem
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
#1 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
Best Western Stoke East
Best Western Stoke East
#7 of 12 in Stoke-on-Trent

Been to George Hotel? Share your experiences!