“Disappointing Afternoon Tea”

Himley Country Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Himley
Reviewed October 14, 2013

My husband and myself took his parents for afternoon tea (with sparkling wine) just as a bit of a treat and a change. We were on Groupon/Wowcher type voucher deal which is just a as well as I would have been very disappointed if we'd paid full price. The sandwiches were fine, the usual fair of ham, tuna etc and there was enough of them as the in-laws don't have a big appetite. However the cakes were a different story the scones had been slightly heated up and in this case it was because they weren't very fresh in fact they were quite dry inside and although there was plenty of butter and jam for them there wasn't nearly enough cream for the four of us. As I understand it cup cakes are light and fluffy, apparently not, these were quite heavy and stodgy, edible but not what you would expect for a cup cake. There was also a piece of fruit cake which was, in fact, very nice.

All in all not a complete disaster but lots of room for improvement, in fact if they buy their cakes from an outside supplier I can recommend a much better one than they are currently using!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
himley, General Manager at Himley Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Dear Elle
Thank you for your feedback, we are always looking to improve ourselves and the comments you have made will help us to do that. I have spoken to chef regarding your comments and we are reviewing our current recipes.

There are newer reviews for Himley Country Hotel

Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

After walking out of the kingfisher hotel,I found this place by luck,the staff were very friendly and polite,the room was clean and everything I needed was there.
Special thanks to Mel,who was really helpfull

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Spongerobertsquare
himley, General Manager at Himley Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Dear Spongerobertsquare
Thank you for your review. I am pleased you had a good stay with us and I will pass on your thanks to Mel.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Took my husband for an treat afternoon tea. Could have bought better from supermarkets basic range.. No home baking (scone, cakes etc). Sandwich bread was stale, no butter on bread We were not asked what choice of sandwich filling we would like. Don't try the banane spong it was heavy like lead, There was a kind of fish filling, a kind of cheese filling and turkey which had come from a previous days carvery. I did ask if I could officially complain. My husband an myself were ushered into the bar area for speak to someone (don't know who the lady was), she did wear flip flops though.

This lady told me they never have complaints. She said everything was home cooked. Although she wouldn't acknowledge if the scones had been baked that day, and didn't deny if the turkey had come from a previous days carvery. She did offer us a return visit to prove they can get it right, i couldn't put us through that again.

All in all waste of money wished we had gone to the Tudor Room for tea in Lichfield which is lovely.

Room Tip: The food is below par and not fresh.

Dear Rita
I am sorry that we did not live up to your expectations on your visit to us for afternoon tea. I would however like to clarify that all of our cakes and scones are homemade on site by our head chef and his team. The fish filling was tuna mayonnaise, the cheese filling is grated cheddar and the turkey and cranberry is not something we would usually serve on our afternoon teas due to the cost but on this occasion we had a carvery lunch on the day you visited so replaced ham with turkey and cranberry. I understand that my food & beverage manager came down to talk to you on her day off as she did not want you to leave without speaking to someone. The team are very passionate about guests leaving satisfied, hence her offer of a complimentary repeat visit. This offer is still open if you wish to accept.
Matt Pullen General Manager

Reviewed October 5, 2013

We visited the Himley Country Hotel with an Amazon deal for afternoon tea on a wet Friday afternoon in October. We paid £26 for 4 people and for that got 2 large pots of tea, enough for 3 cups each, 4 sandwiches each, a scone with clotted cream and jam, a piece of ginger cake and a small cupcake. The portions were very generous and the ladies with us struggled to finish all their food. The service was very good, the lady serving spent a lot of time entertaining our 18 month old and stopped him getting bored, the conservatory in which you have the tea is also beautiful and very quiet and relaxing. Overall a great afternoon out.

2  Thank Ben J

Dear Ben
Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your afternoon tea and hope we can welcome you back to the hotel very soon

Reviewed October 4, 2013

I have stayed at the Himley on a couple of occasions and have found it satisfactory. The staff were friendly enough and the rooms were clean and had decent facilities. I have not eaten there. The main attraction for me is the price which represents good value for money.

Dear Stevan
Thank you for your comments. I am pleased that you find the hotel good value for money and look forward to welcoming you back very soon

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Stayed twice for business,second time booked one night only,on entering room noticed the flush on toilet was broken and handle was on the floor,phoned reception and my room was changed straightaway.no problem at all.also late that night was noise from one of the rooms opposite mine there door was open with the tv blaring out,phoned reception and within five minutes silence,that's what I call service,was a budget price but definitely not a budget hotel.will most certainly stay again if working in the area

Room Tip: All good.no problems on either visits
2  Thank joy c

Dear Joy
Thank you for your comments. I am pleased that your issues were dealt with efficiently and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next in the area.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

booked a room here for myself and a business partner thinking it was still a best western as advertised on the internet only to discover it was not anymore.
for the price this is a good value for money hotel. the staff are all very friendly and lovely, the food was fantastic and very reasonable. my room was clean apart from a distant smell of stale smoke from maybe the old smoke in the room days !! the only other problem was the toilet seat was very loose and the shower went very hot or cold causing panic and screams lol. overall it is an ok hotel for the money and very quiet only the sound of a robin singing in the morning to wake you gently.

Room Tip: ask for a bath and not a shower .
1  Thank Mickey H

Dear Mickey
Thank you for your review. I will look into our third party booking agents to check that they have changed the name of the hotel. I am pleased you found the hotel to be value for money and I will pass your concerns about the bathroom onto the maintenance team.

Matt Pullen

Also consider these accommodations in or near Himley
Himley House Good Night Inn Hotel
#1 of 21 in Wolverhampton
Travelodge Birmingham Dudley
Travelodge Birmingham Dudley
#2 of 2 in Brierley Hill

Been to Himley Country Hotel? Share your experiences!