“Hot plates”

Four Horseshoes
Stowmarket, United Kingdom
“Hot plates”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

We have been here twice now in the last month, Thursday very busy as its pension day but I didnt see any OAP offers? Not that we are that age yet!! First time I had, well both times I had Speckled Hen, what a great ale always and so much better cask. We were greeted very quickly as we walked in the door by and happy young man On this occasion I had fish gougons with fries and what was called a salad!! The plates really do need to be hot very hot, I'm not a quick eater but a cold plate just is good. As for the salad well iceberg, a bit of tomato, cucumber & lots of red onion, this ISNT a salad sorry, iceberg is iceberg! Not going to rant as we all have different ideas on what a salad is? Hubby food was a bottomless as in no pastry pie, this isn't stated on the menu! At over £12 not good value for money at all.

Room Tip: did nit stay in rooms
1 Thank Kangela73
Hi,
Thanks for taking the time to write us a review.
I'm sorry you wasn't overly impressed with your food. Please note it is a side salad the fish goujons are served with alongside fries, however we are more than happy to give you a larger portion of salad next time if you let us know.

Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Eye, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2014

We are actually very frequent visits to the 4Us. Everything about this place - the owners, staff, atmosphere, food etc is first rate. Physically the place is a delight - low beams, roaring log fires, tasteful decor - what what really impresses is the superb welcome and friendliness and efficiency of the staff.
Huge menu (and portions!) excellent range of ales and wines and fast service.
A gem!!

Room Tip: Never stayed
2 Thank GrahamandRachel2014
Hi,
Thank you for your kind words.
Hope to see you soon.

Needham Market, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Enjoyed a wonderful lunch today, delicious food, lovely atmosphere and friendly helpful staff. Chocolate Brownie dessert highly recommended - only suggestion was to serve it with cream instead of ice cream. Can also highly recommend the Game Pie when its on the menu.

2 Thank Jo S
Hi,
Thank you for the kind words.
Hope to see you in the near future.

Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2014

This pub has such a great ambiance with its low beams, gentle lighting and roaring fire that you feel at home as soon as you walk through the door. The staff smiled and greeted us like old friends even though we haven't been there in quite a while (I didn't recognise the staff) which made us feel very welcome. The food was excellent, well above average for a pub, and despite being very busy our waitress, Abi I think her name was, looked after us very well throughout our meal and afterwards as we enjoyed our coffee in the bar area.

I would recommend this pub to anyone looking for a good meal out in wonderful surroundings with great service - well done Four Horseshoes.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Mugwomp
Hi,
Thank you for taking the time to write us these kind words.
We hope to see you again in the near future.

Eye, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2014

If you want an ultra modern city bar with plain whitewashed walls then the isn't the place for you! If you want a veggie health farm then this isn't the place for you! If you want a fast food burger joint then this isn't the place for you!

However if you want the quintessential old English country pub with fresh home cooked food and a friendly atmosphere then the Four Horseshoes is for you.

The Four Horseshoes is a beautiful old 12th century, thatched country pub / restaurant run by a friendly family who are always in attendance to keep things running smoothly.

The building is immaculately maintained inside and out, in keeping with it's period. It is set in the beautiful Suffolk countryside within easy access to the main A140 and has a large car park.

When you enter the Four Horseshoes there is always a friendly greeting from the licensee or one of his family and more often than not a 'hello' from one of the friendly locals at the bar which keeps a wide range of beers including local ales. In winter a huge log fire warms the pub. If you want to sit and rest a while sofas and newspapers are available near the fire!

The food is fresh local produce, well cooked, expertly served and all at a reasonable price.
Worthy of special note is the Sunday lunchtime carvery with its selection of fresh cooked meats. The carvery is so well run that there is seldom more than one person in front of you at the counter as the uniformed chef carves your choice of meat.

All the bar and waiting staff are friendly, efficient and well trained. They are there when you need them without being over attentive.

All in all an excellent place for a drink, meal or a nights rest.

Am I biased? YES! I love the place and use it regularly.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank London_Lad_8888
Hi,
Thank you for the kind words, means a lot to us.

East Anglia
Reviewed January 30, 2014

It is very unusual to find such a beautiful place - Suffolk pink, thatched roof, beams and stud work galore set in beautiful countryside - run so dreadfully. It is a painful thing to behold. If this was an animal it would a kindness to have it put down.
I will try to give a little flavour of some of its problems. Everywhere you look inside there are notices of all kinds. Hand written, printed, painted or chalked, hardly a square foot remains untouched. Even in the toilets there is a notice looking for staff. As you come in, you are greeted by - wait for it - a glass cabinet full of handbags and costume jewellery for sale!?!
Giving that a body swerve, you head for the bar which has more light bulbs NOT working than actually working. I did notice what appeared to be fur coats on the light fittings. I was wrong. It was just a thick layer of dust. The beer taps and fonts were filthy. There were bottles on the shelves behind the bar but I was not able identify what they were coz they were lost in the gloom. The beers on offer were ALL from Greene King as were a lot the signs yet the pub purports to be a freehouse. The beer quality I would suggest is barely acceptable.
The staff behind the bar are absolutely disgraceful. One walked away on our approach, no greeting from the other two, no eye contact, no welcome whatsoever. On another visit (I just could not believe it was as bad as I had first thought. I was right it was even worse!) I was greeted with "table for one?" before I had even got to the bar.
In the interests of research, I did have a sandwich . Some cheap ?cheddar cheese and raw slices of onion between two doorsteps of bread with a few greasy crisps and a couples of tablespoons of lettuce 2 bits of sour tomato and a few slices of cucumber past its use by date (it was soft not crunchy) for about £6 , I consider to be a total con. Interestingly they do not have any menus on their web site which if they did so, they would have even fewer patrons. There were bits of menus all hidden behind the bar, but from what I could see, unless you consider a prawn cocktail exciting, then it was without doubt a collection of over priced ping food which wouldn't have been exciting 40 years ago.
This establishment has a management who simply do not care. They do not care about giving their punters value for money. The prices can only be kindly considered ridiculously expensive. They do not care about basic customer care or even hygiene. I wonder if this place is owned by someone who is not involved in its running. It would certainly account for some the odd stuff on the walls - old photos which have no relevance to 2014 etc.
It is impossible that this place can be operating at a profit at present. Regrettably it just the sort of place where I used to be employed ie loosing money for whatever reason. They need urgently to bring in someone to advise them how turn the business around. Strangely they would not have to spend very much money on dramatically improving things. As Fraser in "Dads Army" would say "Aye they're doomed , all doomed"

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank ChooksonTour
Hi,
I'm very sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your visit (on so many levels!)
What a shame you couldn't voice your concerns when you were here, maybe you didn't have time to go through them all?
I would like to invite you to discuss this further in person, perhaps we could even settle a few of your concerns.
Please accept my apologies for not replying sooner, I've been too busy eating cheese & onion sandwiches while watching Dad's Army.
Diss, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Despite a near empty restaurant at the start of the evening my husband I I waited nearly an hour for our main courses. My husband's chips were practically cold but he was so hungry just ate them . The burger looked like processed cheap nasty meat which he just couldn't eat.
My steak plate arrived with nasty greasy onion rings smothered over the meal, a pulped overdone tomato, burnt mushroom and green beans which were hard and tasteless so guessing frozen and not fresh, only saving grace was the steak although slightly overdone - I asked for medium rare tasted ok for this I paid £18 !!!

Also to continue, the ladies toilets were grubby and the hand dryer didn't work so there were damp hand towels scattered about.

So despite complaining and no apology, needless to say the burger meal was taken off the bill but to be honest just didn't want to pay £50 for any of it and it was so shambolic and customer service non-existent. I think the owner was hovering in the background but didn't have the courtesy to come over to try to offer an apology or explanation - not a good start to the year!!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Biddy B
Thomas P, Manager at Four Horseshoes, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
HI, firstly I am ever so sorry for your bad experience with us, the last thing we want is for people to leave unhappy and discontent with their meals. I do however remember coming over to apologize and to assure you our meat is from a very reputable butcher. I'm sorry we were unable to make your visit a pleasant one, and hope we get the opportunity to do so in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thornham Magna
#1 of 1 in Yaxley
Thornham Hall
Thornham Hall
#2 of 4 in Eye

Been to Four Horseshoes? Share your experiences!