“Restuarant Blues”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Meriden
England
“Restuarant Blues”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

My wife and l visited the Strawberry Bank Hotel Restaurant to celebrate my birthday. It has been some considerable time since our last visit there and whilst the service was very good the menu choice offered now was very limited and not at all inspiring. The staff were very friendly and the food was OK. It looks as though it will be some considerable time again before we make a further visit.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank RGK027

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Stayed here for one night on 01 July 2014.

Bit apprehensive following reading up on a couple of reviews but the room was cheap having booked via trivago (less than £40)

Ample parking outside and location was very good for where I needed to be i.e. Meriden. Meriden good location near the NEC and all Motorway links in area.

Check in was straight forward, Key to the room supplied was an actual physical key on a huge keyring which was something I'd not seen for some decades when staying in hotels. Room was booked as a single but was given a double room which was very clean but resembled something from the 70s with floral prints on the bedding, an olive bathroom and a 14inch box of a TV in the room which was tiny. View overlooked a big garden with no noise from any passing traffic which was good so it was very quiet.

Bed was too soft for my liking and probably due to its age not matress springs but was adequate.

Restaurant and bar was closed due to apparent refurbishment work although no sign of any construction onsite taking place. I didn't eat onsite although looking at the menu the 2 for 1 offer was a 2 for 1 when you had to add £2.50 to your original meal which appeared to be a bit strange.

One item of frustration was lack of mobile and no WiFi connectivity.

Breakfast was included in the price but was very basic. Only continental was available due to the kitchen in the pub next door being refurbished but based on the waiting on staff experience I got the impression this was just a typical day as nothing had been laid out.

Would stay here again as it was clean if I couldn't find anywhere else at short notice in the area.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Came for a meal for my moms birthday to a tired and run down what they call restaurant! Was seated without been asked what we would like to drink, throughout the whole meal we had to go to the bar ourselves go get our drinks! When we finally got round to ordering steak we where then told there is none! Why wasn't we told this on arrival? Also when we asked who I assume was the manager (abrupt and lacked a smile) was told that as we are a table of 12 we should have pre ordered our food? We weren't told to do so when booking the table! I also feel that a group of 12 isn't a large group! Throughout the whole meal the waitresses/waiter looked scared to approach the tables! Also when we tried to get a waitresses attention she saw us and ran back into the kitchen! Service is embarrassing in this place and I certainly will not be returning!

• Stayed June 2014
Aarschot, Belgium
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Room was clean, as was the bathroom. Double bed was horror, hard and old. Large parking, not too far from Birmingham. Watch out however, it's 15 minutes (fastest gps route) to NEC, not 5 as is said on site. Wifi not working properly, in the end, it did, but had to try at least 20 times before I got on. (I really needed it, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered). Old ladies at check-in didn't have a clue, night porter very strange guy, not comfortable with him. Nothing seemed to be his fault. Cooked breakfast mediocre, continental part not worth mentioning. Hotel needs to be refurbished and repainted and soon. If it had been 15 punds less, the price would have been fair.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2014

I don't know where to start with the strawberry bank, I've never complained before I've eaten my meal before, but today was a first!! From walking in the main door and being greeted with a lovely smell of urine from the decaying toilets which are the first things you see, to walking through the cramped and dated bar and to finish with the worst attitude I have witnessed from a manager.
There were 6 of us all together celebrating Father's Day.
I ordered a 10oz rib eye steak which was priced at £16.95, with Stilton sauce which was an extra £1.95, well what arrived was a shock, a handful of chips, with a sorry looking steak, half a tomato frozen onion rings and.......nope that was it! The sauce then arrived some 5 minutes later which was clearly heated milk with some Stilton melted in to it. There was a similar looking meal sat in front of my father in law who had ordered the £15.95 combo.
I called for the manager and was told that it came pre cut so that's what you get, when I showed her the sauce she did offer to get me a new one, to late as my steak was already having a warming milk bath. She also pointed out that it was buy one get one free on main meals, so we weren't actually paying the high price that was advertised!
I must say however that my mother in laws salmon salad and my wife's lasagne(when it arrived ten minutes later than the rest of the meals) looked lovely and they assure me tasted good.
We tried to point all this out to the manager at the end,including the positives and was met with responses such as "I can't do anything about it, it's pre packaged" and "were part of a chain so what do you expect"
I've frankly had better tasting and better presented meals at weatherspoons which were a quarter of the price.
Also the website advertises the place as being a family owned and run venue, but clearly this is incorrect from what the manager is saying
I will not be returning and urge any one person thinking of visiting to avoid at all costs and try some of the other fantastic restaurants in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Keil H
Barry, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 16, 2014

Booked on booking.com for one night. Only fifty pound with breakfast for 1 night double room.
The hotel was fine, only 10 minutes from NEC, comfortable beds, clean and tidy, polite and helpful staff.
Would stay again and recommend for a short stay over in that part of the world.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Blimey this place is so dated, the rooms look like the crossroads motel from back in the day.
The room had rock hard single beds and the smallest TV I have seen in years.
The receptionist informed me that the place has been sold recently and the new owners are planning a refurbishment so all being well it will be a decent hotel again in the future.

Room Tip: If I had paid full price I would have been a lot more upset.