“Lovely place, great food - eat here!”

The Sussex Produce Company
Ranked #6 of 17 Restaurants in Steyning
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: A cosy restaurant/cafe serving local produce on a fresh, monthly changing menu. Opening for breakfast and lunch daily, and dinner on a Friday and Saturday evening. Join us for our themed evenings including a monthly Thai weekend the first Friday and Saturday evening each month.
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Just had a lovely meal here - the food was excellent as was the wine. Make sure you leave room for the deserts and the antipasti starter was lovely. We asked or extra homous that was delivered without complaint.

There is a lovely buzz to the place and it was packed on Saturday. The only reason it didn't get 5* was that the risotto was overcooked, to the extent that my friend couldn't eat hers and the waitress took her plate away without even questioning if there was a problem. They also need to get some wine coolers as our bottles were just left on the table to warm

However, despite this, it was a lovely evening and I wish we were more local as I would love to go back. Lovely food, well presented in a lovely place with friendly service. What is not to like?

At £40 a head for 3 courses and wine, this was also good value in our views

Reviewed September 12, 2012

I have a feeling the SPC is in danger of becoming the sort of place that gets complacent - clients turn up in droves and, therefore, top notch service isn't as vital as it might be for a less busy place.

I met friends there for Sunday lunch and was really unimpressed with how we were treated.

We arrived and were ignored for about 20 minutes (restaurant was not too busy at this stage and there seemed to be plenty of staff on duty.) Had to ask for somebody to come and take our drink order and - again - drinks took a long time to arrive.

The food we ordered was delicious. I had the roast beef. I had to ask for horseradish which I would have expected to be offered. When it came the waitress brought me less than a teaspoon full. I asked for more and she, again, bought a teaspoon full. If I pay £15 for a main course then I expect to be able to serve myself a reasonable amount of a condiment.

We had to ask for our plates to be cleared, we had to ask for our pudding orders to be taken, we had to request the bill twice.

It's a shame because the food is wonderful but the poor service (sulky when you did get it) ruined things

2  Thank Jen66
SussexProduce, Owner at The Sussex Produce Company, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

First of all, we can only apologise for the service you received when you visited.

We always strive to provide excellent food and great service in our café and it would appear that on this occasion we fell very short on the service side of things.

Since your visit we have upgraded our till system, giving our staff more time on the café floor to provide the efficient service we strive to provide. We have also undertaken a number of training sessions, particularly amongst some of our newest members of staff, to ensure they are vigilant, courteous and always offer a warm and friendly service.

As a small independent business we rely solely on the support of our customers and we work hard to make sure that everyone who walks through our door enjoys their time here. We don’t always get things right but we do take feedback seriously and we hope that at some point in the future you will feel able to give us another try.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

I must echo what others have said. Its like Bills was years ago.

After reading reviews made a detour to try it and we were not disappointed.

Good size portions of very local food. The burger my wife had was made from Sussex beef and it came with great local side salad of interesting leafs. She followed it with coffee and ice cream both delicious.

After lunch we bought lots of local fruit and veg.

Its such a nice place!

1  Thank Valderf
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Having previously visited the 'old' shop a few years ago, I was intrigued to see what the new one would be like. My wife, young daughter and myself visited the shop but before we did any shopping we had lunch at the cafe. The food was fantastic - elegantly served, good portion sizes and wonderfully tasty! The service was quick, efficient but really friendly. Once we had finished in the cafe, we bought a number of items from the shop itself and found these to be of excellent quality. If you are near Steyning, this place is a must!!!

1  Thank JKenyon
Reviewed August 5, 2012

we arrived without a reservation at 1.45 on a busy Sunday afternoon, weary from a long cycle ride. The team could not have been more helpful, they didn't have a table immediately but "if you wander around for a bit and give us your mobile number" we will sort one as soon as possible. which they did - more quickly than they had first suggested. Lunch was good, tasty roast rib of beef for the carnivores and for the less red blooded, who had been looking forward to sampling the local tarts/quiches (and who were not sure about the excellent sounding stuffed peppers), they were really helpful in coming up with suggestions that were not officially on the menu. All enjoyed an excellent lunch in a lively and friendly location; our return cycle ride was helped when they even offered to add ice when we asked them if we could top up our water bottles.

1  Thank Richard B