“Five star quality all the way”
Review of Lucknam Park

Lucknam Park
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Colerne
London, United Kingdom
“Five star quality all the way”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

My friend and I had a wonderful riding and spa break at Lucknam Park. The staff were unfailingly attentive and pleasant always remembering the little things like what tea you liked, the gluten free bread and your name! The stables and the horses were top quality and the riding on the estate good for experienced riders. The spa area is lovely especially the outdoor heated pool and jacuzzi and as in the rest of the hotel the staff were professional and attentive. We ate very well in both restaurants with the brasserie near the spa being especially good. We stayed in standard rooms which are a little small but very comfortable and although they could do with a lick of paint here and there were perfect for our needs. Overall an excellent experience and worth the high price tag.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are fine although small
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Thai first
United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Very much enjoyed my first, and hopefully not last, visit to Lucknam Park. The house and grounds are stunning. We had a standard room (looking out over the beautiful courtyard) as we were only staying for one night but for longer it might be advisable to book a larger room. The food in both the dining room and the brasserie was delicious with excellent service. Also the breakfast menu was very comprehensive and I particularly appreciated the ladylike-sized portions. I can't comment on the spa treatments but really enjoyed the large swimming pool and the steam rooms.

All in all, if you are looking for a tasteful,Michelin-starred country house experience look no further than Lucknam Park.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Sometimes you need to spoil yourself. This is a lovely hotel, and a fantastic Spa, and after this, our third visit, we will be back. The Michelin Star restaurant is the topper for me, and the Brasserie also delivers, only without the sense of fine dining. Previous reviews have mentioned some problems and, yes, they are there, but the two issues that irritated myself and my partner were dealt with in the right way and satisfied us. The true mark of customer focused service.
However, of some concern and the reason for 4 and not 5 marks here, is the attention to detail in the swimming pool area. It is clean, yes, and pool and steam room temperatures seemed to be correct to me, but there were too many towels left lying around when there was obviously next to no one in there. Surely, someone could come and manage this a little better for this class of hotel.
Service, I thought, was excellent throughout, but our waiters were all first class and not at all over bearing. Friendly, informative, attentive. Just what you want for a relaxing break.
Our room was above what we could expect and was well served, apart from a bizarre issue with some tea cups, but like I say, this was sorted elegantly.
We really look forward to returning and next time I would like to award them five. We'll see.

Neil, partner of Susan.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Not sure this hotel lives up to expectations or prices... reception welcome was fine, and I was shown to my room. It was a courtyard deluxe room, and fine, although starting to look a little in need of updating in places - the shower edging and dripping tap - not what you expect in a very expensive 5 star. But the real shock was the Spa. I was given a lacklustre welcome - pointed towards the changing rooms. I wasn't offered a robe, and had to go back to get one and the changing room was dirty - tissues lying around, robe and towels spilling out of the laundry basket, and no hand towels. The spa itself was in similar disarray, it obviously hadn't been checked for a while - there were empty glasses all around the outside loungers by the hydro pool, one even balanced on the pool edge! The electricity cable had been pulled out of the water machine so no chilled water, and the japanese salt room and topaz room, were hardly heated! The treatments were excellent, but the tea given to me after my massage was served in a teapot with cracked lid. The pool outside the relaxation room had rubbish gathered in the pool drains.
The spa staff spent more time chatting to each other, and I twice had to ask reception to service the changing rooms... not good enough. It is an amazing facility, but needs good spa management.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank filmfan45
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Stunning and beautiful, etc etc etc, however a little repressed. Waiting staff looked petrified to show any personality, or looked quite bored. Not what you would expect from a Hotel of this standard.
Also waited over 25 mins to be served after the order was taken, Quite amusing to see the waiter panic when he realised.
In essence stunning but lacking in any sort of personality.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Charlotte F
Swansea
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I had a wonderful luxury weekend here.
The Michelin star restaurant was great: especially the cheese board!
The new spa was beautiful.
The grounds were very pleasant for a walk/run.
It looked great for horse riding, although we didn't do this on this occasion.
The staff were exceptionally service-oriented: nothing was too much trouble and they made us feel totally pampered.

• Stayed August 2013
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

My friend & I have just returned from our 4 night stay at Lucknam Park Hotel & Spa! As you arrive at Lucknam Park, you enter through the automatic gates & drive up a mile long drive way - it all seems quite dramatic as you approach the gorgeous building, surrounded by trees with gorgeous sunlight bouncing off the leaves. From the moment you arrive you're welcomed with first class service & treatment from the staff. They come out to you, park your car, take your luggage straight to your room & give you a guided tour of the hotel. The hotel's architecture & decor is simply divine, it is full if history & character. & the grounds are kept immaculate & so are the rooms. I was highly surprised with the level of cleanliness - the cleaners do a fabulous job & leave your room spotless in the morning & at turn down. The Spa at Lucknam Park is simply breathtaking! The best Spa I've ever been to definitely! It's everything you need and more - there's a big pool, a hydrotherapy pool, saunas, steam rooms, a fitness studio a relaxation room which you're taken to after having treatments, where you can spend as much time relaxing as you wish whilst sipping a fruit tea & eating strawberries! Me and my friend had a beauty treatment everyday which were all FABULOUS! Especially the Firming & Toning Body Wrap which is almost like a 4 in one; Salt exfoliation, Sea weed clay & wrap, head massage & what felt like a mini little facial, priced at £190 it's worth every bit of money & the treatment does last 2 hours.

Dining at Lucknam Park is wonderful. The Park restaurant is the more formal restaurant & of course Michelin Star. We dined here on the first night & was blown away by not only the amazing / top notch food, but the quality of service. You're treated like royalty! The Brasserie which is located through the courtyard next to the Spa is also fabulous! It's less formal & more casual - you can dine in your robe before 6pm & really relax. The food is fantastic there & the staff are lovely.

The location of Lucknam Park is wonderful & only 25 minutes away from Bath town, which we visited twice. All in all I cannot fault one single thing about my experience at Lucknam Park Hotel & Spa. Honestly now, it took me absolutely ages to decide on which Spa Hotel to visit & it was a toss up between Lucknam Park & Rudding Park & I'm delighted & satisfied with my decision. Lucknam Park welcomes all people, cultures, races, families, couples, friends - it really is a lovely, wonderful place to stay. You're made to feel at home & you'll leave wanting to visit again! I know I will one day!

• Stayed August 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Colerne
Whatley Manor Hotel & Spa
#11 of 31 in Bath
Calcot Manor
Calcot Manor
#1 of 1 in Calcot

Been to Lucknam Park? Share your experiences!