“Magic”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Colerne
Chicago, Illinois
“Magic”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Lucknam Park was, by far, one of the most exceptional places I have ever stayed in terms of atmosphere and service. It was like stepping back into time, when travel included world-class service in the comfort of an extremely well appointed home. The entire staff, from managers to equestrian staff, made us feel welcome and well cared for every moment of our stay. Everyone went out of his or her way to cater to our every need. The 500 acres of Lucknam Park are MAGNIFICENT! The property is lush and green and ready to be explored and enjoyed by foot, horse, bike, cart, and/or just as a feast for the eyes. The approach to the manner house is blanketed by two double rows of mature trees, which form a mile long natural umbrella. (The underside of which is well over one hundred feet high and was once used to camouflage airplanes for the Royal British Air Force.) And, yes it does protect you; so don’t worry if you get caught out in the rain! The Park has a wonderful English garden that is surrounded by a very tall old brick wall. Once inside, you can enjoy traditional plantings beds and sculptures in tranquility. Inside the manner, traditional and antique furnishing make guests feel as if they are returning to a country home that has “been in the family” for generations. Afternoon tea as well as pre and post dinner drinks are served by wonderful staff members dressed in formal attire. The food in both the Brasserie and Formal Dinning Room is second to none. Just delicious! However, perhaps even more impressive is the impeccable service. Before you even ask, there is someone ready to meet your every need, with a welcoming smile! (I can only imagine how great the cooking school is.) While at Lucknam be sure to take advantage of the wonderful spa and equestrian center. You can also enjoy archery, skeet shooting, and falconry on the beautiful grounds as well. Riding through the countryside is truly breathtaking! Be sure to visit, the city of Bath (home to ancient the Romans and Jane Austin) and Castle Combe (village where they filmed Dr. Doolittle.) They are well worth the short car rides away from the property. This was one of my most favorite vacation spots ever! I loved Lucknam Park as well as every member of its outstanding service team! Our vacation was PERFECT and I would return annually, if I could!

1 Thank ftroopmom7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Thai first
Great Dunmow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Two night stay experiencing cookery school with my daughter and equestrian and spa facilities.
I can't recommend enough ! So relaxing some amazing food in the brasserie and the cookery school was fabulous !
For a special treat do not hesitate.
Rooms are beautifully appointed and hotel is kept spotless.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Steeple Ashton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Afternoon tea at Lucknam Park is a truly wonderful experience. Superb service, delicious food and a good selection of teas, all served with a proffessionalism rarely found these days.

The drawing room is an opulent but relaxed room with beautiful furniture and a calm atmosphere which sets the perfect backdrop in which to enjoy this most English of traditions.

I highly recommend Lucknam Park and look forward to returning soon - I also bought the experience as a gift for my parents to enjoy.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
bentonville AR
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This is a superbly managed hotel and restaurant that employs some very dedicated and hard working individuals that turn an impressive facility into a delightful and welcoming country house hotel in the best traditions of English Country Hotels.

From the moment we arrived through our departure it is hard to fault the facilities, setting, service, layout or food. I was worried that our stay may be affected by the "warm" spell that England was experincing with highs in the mid 80's as none of the rooms are air conditioned but we had no issue sleeping as the tranquil setting and country location means no noise and cool nights with a nice breeze through the room.

We were fortunate to be upgraded on our arrival to a nice in house suite but I think al the rooms are equally well furnished and appointed. A half bottle of champagne and chocolates waited in our room and the welcome from all the staff was gracious and sincere.

The facilities are first class including the indoor pool, hydrotherapy, saunas etc in the custom designed spa and adjacent brasserie (we did not eat in the brasserie but the menu was very enticing). It was warm enough to sunbath outside and waiter service kept us well plied with drinks as we lounged in the ample cushion topped furniture. The one negative was the indulgent parents that allow their offspring to yell and scream in the indoor pool and due to the acoustics of that room it would have driven us away on a cold day - not sure what the hotel can do to rectify poor parenting. Fortnately the ultra warm hydrotherapy pool is partly outside so tranquility was retained.

The Park restaurant is a beautifully appointed room exhibiting tasteful decoration and comfortably placed tables and chairs with ideal dining height. The ambience is in keeping with the best expereinces and is as good as any 5 star establishment. The service was professional without being overbearing, discrete without being pompous and attentive without being rushed. The 2 dinners we took in this restaurant were memorable and unfortunately we compare every meal since with this standard. A special mention to the sommelier who helped me choose 2 very affordable wines (a Cotes Du Rhone and a St Emillion) that were everything I asked for and more, again this was a French Sommelier and he made me feel the most important guest he had without making me feel inferior on my wine knowledge - a tough combination when dealing with an American on French wines.....

So, if your heading to the Bath area and want to avoid the crush of tourists, enjoy a beautiful hotel in magnificent grounds, experience first class food and service then Lucknam is probably for you. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room in the place.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Tetbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Husband and I had a totally fab meal at Lucknam Park in July - it helped that it was a gorgeous, warm and sunny evening but wow, what a backdrop Lucknam Park is to a wonderful dining experience. Staff were great - really helpful and friendly yet allowing us privacy, sommelier offered lots of ideas for different wines to go with the gourmet 7 course meal (yes, good thing I was wearing a loose dress) and every course was a treat. Additional unexpected extras included a pea panna cotta with duck salad and a lime sorbet - both perfectly sized and very tasty. Thoroughly recommend it!

Portishead
Reviewed August 1, 2013

The Brasserie is a modern, all glass building in a beautiful garden setting. The food is first class and the lunch menu very varied, whereas 'fine dining' restaurants tend to have only three main courses at lunchtime,one of which will be vegetarian. Definite contender for 'best in the West'.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
london
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We were warmly welcomed by the friendly staff in the brassiere, where our package started with morning tea/coffee and fresh pastries. We then headed down to the equestrian centre, where we had a warm welcome and I was provided with riding boots, jacket and helmet. As I have only ever had on lesson before, I was considered a complete beginner, however you are asked to fill in a questionnaire which will guide tour experience so don't worry if your very nervous or very experienced I'm sure you will get what you want out of the session!
I had an hour's riding lesson to start, with a very pleasant and patient teacher who made me feel confident in what I was learning including walking the horse, trotting, start/stopping, changing direction, voice commands and most importantly positioning! I was then taken on a 'hack' through the woods and local village where I got to put my new learnt skills to use and thoroughly enjoyed the experience of riding a horse independently ( obviously with a highly skilled horse rider close by if needed)! Just be warned, it is through work out..day later I can barley walk..but it was worth it!

After the riding session we had lunch in the brassiere, good veg and non veg options as can take the set menu or mix from the a la carte. Service and food was good.

Following on from this we went to the Spa, which was not to busy and with mainly adult guest. The changing rooms are clean with separate sauna and stream. In the main spa area, there's a larger sauna, Japanese stream room, a amethyst steam room and large swimming pool. But the hi light for me was the the indoor/outdoor heated hydro pool, set over looking the lavender filled gardens. The water was warm enough to be outside on a slightly cooler day, however we were lucky to get some sun! We then had some treatments, which used good quality products and were carried out to a choice of music in a suitable ambience. The relaxation area included a out door heated private pool which was great in the good weather!

To finish with we had cream tea in the brassiere, with a good selection of teas(bags/not loose), and fresh scones which pasted the Mary Berry twist test!

Over all had a wonderful day a Lucknam , beautiful grounds, great facilities, courteous and friendly staff ! I hope to return in the future!

1 Thank servicefusspot
Also consider these accommodations in or near Colerne
Whatley Manor Hotel & Spa
#11 of 31 in Bath
Calcot Manor
Calcot Manor
#1 of 1 in Calcot

Been to Lucknam Park? Share your experiences!