“Perfection”
Review of Fallowfields Restaurant - CLOSED

Fallowfields Restaurant
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Fallowfields Restaurant is situated in this attractive country house hotel. During the day there are wonderful views over their grounds and the paddocks beyond. In the evening the atmosphere is candlelit and truly romantic. Afternoon tea is superb; take it by the fire in our drawing room or outside in the warmer months. The lunch time offering is a £30 five dish menu, 6 if you include delicious canapes with your drinks. It is simply the best value I have eaten in years. Sunday lunch is similarly priced and is also 5 dishes, with traditional roasts, some of them from their own farm. Vegetables are also grown in abundance in their kitchen garden. Head Chef Matt Weedon was number 45 in the 2012 Sunday Times Best Restaurant list. Fine diners may have previously eaten his glorious food at either Lords of the Manor or Glenapp Castle. He was awarded the coveted 3 AA Rosettes at Fallowfields in January 2014. Rachel, Matt's wife runs the restaurant and has really embraced "local" with wonderful locally brewed ales by the bottle, artisan gins and English vodkas. Relax before lunch or dinner with one of her beautifully crafted cocktails. This fine dining restaurant is in the village of Kingston Bagpuize in the heart of the Oxfordshire countryside.
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Tasting menu with wine.

Had it been a recital, I'd have been on my feet; applauding!

Will be back for more!

Wonderful cuisine. Excellent service. Fine hotel. Enough said!

73Londoner, Owner at Fallowfields Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2012

Thank you David T., Having been to many a recital and stood to applaud, most often with a tear in my eye...your review has just achieved the same effect.. Thank you.

As every month goes by, Chef's food just gets better....he has a really "locked in" team who vie to come up with new ideas and new twists.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Shaun Dickens is a Chef to watch out for! I am sure we shall hear a lot about him in the future! We had the pleasure of having Shaun chose the courses for his Tasting menu -accompanied by a Flight of wines - very well chosen by the sommelier.
The food was simply exceptional! The service could not be faulted in any way - we were made to feel very special, which suited the occasion, as we were celebrating my husbands birthday. Of the 9 dishes we tasted - all very well balanced and a joy to experience - my favourites were the Marinated swordfish with Fallowfields coleslaw, soy and sesame seed brittle as well as the English Truffle scrambled hens egg with toasted brioche and girolles. Thank you and fantastically well done to all at Fallowfields - especially Shaun.

73Londoner, Owner at Fallowfields Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Hello SueHs, thank you for leaving such a great review. I know if I go anywhere, I will always choose the tasting menu and if offered a matching flight of wines, jump at the opportunity not to have to make compromise decisions on which bottle of white or red to choose to go with the meal.

Looking forward to seeing you and your husband here again soon.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Top quality food and a superb setting. If you enjoy fine dining at a reasonable price then please give this restaurant a try

Thank you for this review too, I know you placed a more comprehensive account of your stay with us on the Hotel site, and I really do thank you for all your lovely comments there.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

I took my husband to this hotel for a surprise break and it was fantastic! We stayed in the Uffington room (all the rooms are named after places in the area). It had a massive and very comfy four poster bed and the room overlooked the paddocks and gardens the view was lovely. The en-suite was amazing it was huge with a large bath and stand alone corner power shower – couldn’t have asked for more!

Fallowfields restaurant is without a doubt one of the finest I have eaten in especially in this area, the service from the moment we arrived was faultless. James who greeted us was really friendly, welcoming and helpful as were all the other staff.

The restaurant is beautiful and very classy and intimate the chef Shaun Dickens is amazing!. We started with canapés whilst choosing our meal these consisted of small fishcakes, smoked salmon on a crispy base also blue cheese bites and more.

After this we sat down to freshly cooked bread with butter and an additional orange butter which was really lovely. Then we had a pre starter of Goat curd, confit beets on tarragon soil which was a really pleasant surprise. I then went on to have the crab with chilli, coriander and mango and the flavours were amazing! My husband had the poached hens egg with lardo, tomato chutney and endive all perfect.

The main consisted of Wild Sea Bass which was gorgeous with bean tapenade and so many flavours it was truly wonderful. My husband had the Dexter Sirloin with Jacobs ladder this was the best steak my husband and I have ever tasted and I was a chef at one point! It really did melt in your mouth.

Then another surprise course of jelly with raspberry and marshmallow pieces - gorgeous.
Finally I had chocolate and espresso which was the most wonderfully chocolate lovers pudding and my husband the Passion fruit with coconut meringue with mojito foam!

I also booked a one hour session at the attached Falconry centre for him, here he had a one to one demonstration of the various different birds of prey with a very knowledgeable falconer who had reared and trained many of the birds. Highly recommend doing this as it’s great fun!

All in all the whole experience was amazing and I urge anyone that reads this to go there especially if you want a relaxing break of the highest standards! The breakfast is also fantastic and the cream tea is to die for! This place is a real find for anything from a cream tea to a weekend away and personally can't wait to go back!

73Londoner, Owner at Fallowfields Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Hello Sarah, thank you for your amazing review. Am particularly delighted you raved about my beef. We rear our Dexter cattle here, they get named, loved and fed the best grazing we can provide. Then Chef works his magic [as an ex chef you will know all about that] and hey presto....."heaven on a plate".

Reviewed September 11, 2012

My husband and I held our wedding reception at Fallowfields and decided to return to celebrate our 1st anniversary. We opted to have the tasting menu with the flight of wine- wow!! It was absolutely delicious! All courses were unique, tasty and cooked brilliantly, with the highlights being the fois gras with cherries and the chocolate & espresso mousse. The wines were excellent, all complementing the food and arriving with an explaination from the staff as to why they had been chosen. As experienced on our wedding day, the staff were friendly, knowledgeable and a credit to the establishment too. Thank you for making it a wonderful evening.

Hello Helen, so glad we lived up to your expectations, and thank you for sharing both your wedding and your first anniversary with us. Hope it's not too long before we see you again.