“A familiar sight to some”
Review of Goathland Station

$56.49*
North York Moors and Whitby Day Trip from York
Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Goathland
Reviewed August 19, 2014

With its affiliation to "Heartbeat" and "Harry Potter" the station could feel familiar to some visitors especially as the garage in the village bears the name it has in Heartbeat.
We were unfortunate to have just missed the steam train in the lovely old station however the unique sound of a steam train and the sight of a plume of smoke in the not too far distance evoked such strong childhood memories when I was a little boy and watched these magnificent machines going about there daily business, happy days.

Reviewed August 19, 2014

Nice scenery ,lots to see, well run,clean ,lots of locomotives good value for money nice experience nothing to dislike

Reviewed August 19, 2014

I must say that me & my family was so excited to be travelling to Goathland to catch the train from their beautiful station to Whitby. It was a day trip that we had planned from the beginning of the school holiday, but as we live over 2 hours away we had to wait for the right weather! my children were so excited when we arrived at the station to catch the old steam train.

On first sight the station is beautiful, like mentioned in other reviews, it takes you back in time. We paid £30 for a family rover to catch the train into Whitby. Pay which covered a return for me, my husband and 3 children.

On the platform we was greeted by a friendly train conductor who advised that because my 7 day old son was in a buggy he would assist us onto the coach carriage where we could leave the buggy and find a seat, which we found very helpful. Once on the train we found our seats and was enjoying the train journey through, there was a 15 minute stop at the next station, so my girls and my husband got to get off and get some pictures of the train which was fabulous. And we enjoyed the rest of our train journey into Whitby.

Now, your wondering why I'm leaving such a negative review?! ..... All of this became a distance memory on the way home, after the DISGUSTING treatment we received on our journey home.

We was told that there would be two trains back to Goathland, one at 16:40 and the last at 18:00. As the train journey takes over an hour, we decided to catch the 16:40 train. Upon arrival back at the station in Whitby, we was told by the train conductor that the train was "rather full" we was told to put our buggy on the coach and we'd be lucky if we found a seat.

We put our buggy on the coach, and when we looked around there was around 7 other families on the Coach with their buggies all sat on the filthy floor, with their young children. One of the other families told us there were no seats available, as the train was so full, so to get home they had to stay in the coach carriage which was filthy! No seats, just bare wooden floors covered in coal dust.

We was all crammed on like cattle, it was like something off of a German world war 2 film! My girls looked so disappointed, stuck in a dark, dingy, filthy coal carriage! My 7 day old son was due to be fed, and I refused to sit on the dirty floor with him. My husband asked the conductor if there was a seat for me to feed my son, and the conductor showed no compassion at all. His reply was " if you want to find a seat that don't exists, be my guest!"

With that my husband went and found a booth that had 3 empty seats so me and my 3 children went into the booth, which seemed to cause the current occupants a great deal of trouble! As they wanted the booth all to themselves. My husband stayed in the coach with our buggy and said that by the time we reached goathland there was over 30 passengers rammed into the coach with him.

I'm disgusted with the way we was treated. Everyone pays the same for their tickets. And this is not a normal train service. You are paying for the experience of a steam train journey, and as everyone pays the same,you should AT LEAST be entitled to a seat! When asking the conductor why tickets were sold when there wasn't enough seats, we were bluntly told that our ticket is to get us from a to b, not for a seat! Funny that this wasn't mentioned to us when handing over our £30!

So if you want a fun, pleasent, stress free day out, avoid going in on the trains! Next time we will drive into Whitby, at least then we will have somewhere to sit and be £30 better off for the pleasure!

4  Thank Jade B
Reviewed August 19, 2014

We took our grandson to see Father Christmas on his train it was excellent a real treat for him he will never forget the experience.

1  Thank Traveller846
Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

We often used to visit the village when my wife was at university in Scarborough.

The train station is like stepping back in time and a must see for all ages.

Even if you're not a rail enthusiast you will be transported into an age of steam and away from modern life for a while.

Little wonder that tv companies have used this for locations in the past.