The Inn on the Moor
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Goathland
See available hotels
Dunsley Hall(Whitby)
Larpool Hall(Whitby)
  • Pool
Estbek House(Sandsend)
View Hotel
All reviewsnew ownersreal alenew potatoes and saladmenu looked goodgreat place to eatlarge conservatoryadvertising boardbar and lounge arealocal hamscampifamily runapple piebig portionsrange of beerswines and spiritsexcellent mealdining areas
Reviewed May 26, 2009

The place I suppose is a bit run down, every reviewer who says this is telling the truth. On first impression from the outside it needs a lick of paint, but many places do so I'm not going to judge that alone.
On arrival we walked into the bar by mistake and it was like walking into those halls you used to hire for a birthday during the 80's. Small bar in the corner surrounded by locals (very friendly and good natured) but the seating had been updated since it was built. An immediate nervous feeling as I thought to myself I had made a mistake.
Anyway booked in as I was still optimistic and was greeted warmly. The room (No. 5) was quite big with a four-poster bed, surprising comfortable given it's perceived condition (old and worn). The sheets were clean and the overall appearance of the room was neat. However, the smell that greeted us was that old and musty aroma and the toilet, although looking clean smelt like a bar toilet on a Friday night. The light fixture for the bathroom was attached somehow to the roof tiles and although it worked, anyone heavy handed would have the whole arrangement including the tile on their head. The sealant around the bath was mouldy and generally the whole place was terribly dated. I have stayed in some of the luxurious places and some of the grottiest in my life and unfortunately this place was heading towards the latter.
After airing the room, we went for a walk and Goathland has amazing scenery (including the very picturesque drive over the moors to get there) but beware, sheep are everywhere.
We had dinner on our return and the food, although not the frozen type we are used to in bar chains, was not really brilliant. Also pretty expensive. Breakfast was pretty standard neither good or bad but the young English girl running the floor (the rest of the restaurant staff are foreign) was very friendly and extremely helpful.
All in all it was interesting but I won't be back, however up that end of England I never found any good looking hotels and that’s why I ended up here - not that there isn't any but Whitby itself is definitely worth a visit.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TheIrishTraveller
Reviewed February 17, 2009

My wife and i stopped here on the 14th of February so were unable to take part in the half price room offer for Jan/Feb so i feel the £110 a night price was slightly more than i would have paid for the quality of the room. they were spotlessly clean but feel a little lick of paint and modern matching furnishings would not have gone amiss. That however is my only quibble and who go's to a hotel to look at the mix and match decor ? you go for location atmosphere etc and this hotel has it in stacks. We arrived after a period of 7/10 days heavy snow but found the roads open and the hotel car park cleared and free from snow or ice (Metropolitan District Councils take note) The view from our room would have been incredible at any time of the year but then the name of the hotel really does give you a hint as to what to expect when you open the curtains. The food in the restaurant was superb. My wifes duck breast and my lamb were both tender and cooked to perfection and for this quality you would pay twice the prices in some lesser establishment (3 courses for two less the price of champagne was £46). The breakfast was of a really good farmhouse style Full English. The service was impeccable and no fault could be found with any aspect of the staffs attitude. I really would recommend this anyone looking to explore the North York Moors and fans of Heartbeat will love the location situated opposite the pub and behind the garage from the show. All in all a really good stay and the price and quality of the room was balanced by the price and quality of the food

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 15, 2009

Once again had a lovely time at the Inn On The Moor,we have stayed here every January for about 5 or 6 years now,and all the lads cant wait to come back again. Lovely people,good food and accommodation, it is just a good all round place to be made to feel at home in.We like it that much that when we work in Newcastle we travel to Goathland to stay here! Roll on next January!

Stayed: January 2009
1  Thank NYMRamblers
Reviewed November 9, 2008

Just returned from a great weekend at INN ON THE MOOR. We took our little dog with us and were allocated a room at the back of the hotel. the room was fine, the food was fine and most importantly this hotel is where the locals drink which is always a good sign!!! We will definitely return and thanks for a great weekend. Goathland is a lovely place and we spent a lot of time exploring the area. I can't understand people who write negative things on websites like this. If you are so picky why not stop at home!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank BazilManchester
Reviewed September 8, 2008

on arrival at the hotel it must have been fate that my husband didnt want to get the case from the car until later. outside looks dated and shabby,as we walked into the lobby you could smell the foisty old carpets and the decor was awful. As for the four poster superior bedroom that was a joke,the furniture looked like something you would find on the set of heartbeat and the bedspread was from the forties!! Needless to say we left within 5 minutes of arriving there and lost our deposit too. There is nothing at all good to say about this place apart from it needs ripping to pieces and starting again.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple