“August holiday 2013”

Ranked #10 of 10 Goathland B&B and Inns
dionharris
“August holiday 2013”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I went To the hotel for a number of nights for my evening meals whilst I was staying in the village and I can't agree with some of the reviews because I received a nice welcome from the Spanish staff behind the bar all the time and they remembered me but also the Chinese lady was the best waitress I ever had she was very polite every time and always said good evening to me and everyone in the as well and my my food was always hot and with a nice traditional menu. Also the managers was friendly all the time and the place is just the same as it was in heartbeat which is what I liked about it. Many thanks again jordan Harris

Room Tip: Have the Chinese lady as your waitress she's the best . The overall experience was over 5 star...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank dionharris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
county durham
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We originally stayed at this hotel 26 years ago for our wedding night. This was many years before Heartbeat was filmed and the hotel was lovely, a typical country pub with rooms which served as the secluded getaway we needed after a big wedding! The same landlord and landlady run the hotel and had given us a lovely room (No.4) overlooking the front of the hotel. Having read some of the poor reviews, it was with some trepidation that we booked in but were greeted with a friendly smile and a nice welcome.

The room was adequate with a king size bed and everything you would need for an overnight stay but I would agree with some of the reviews that the bathrooms are a little on the tired side. Ours was large and did the job and although the shower suite was a modern white one, the tiling and lino had seen better days, as had the carpets in the bedroom. Having said that we both had an excellent nights sleep and were woken to sounds of sheep baa-ing under the window and the stunning view of the sun coming up over the Yorkshire Moors.

Our room did smell of damp in the corner and we noticed that the cupboard in the corner had a damp collector inside. I think the price of the rooms are quite high but you are probably paying for the fact you are in the middle of the North Yorkshire Moors in the middle of summer. If you are wanting 4* accommodation with all the trimmings then you probably would not choose to stay here. This pub is busy and functional and accommodates walkers and holidaymakers alike. Yes, the meal times are quite restrictive but providing you are aware of this prior to booking, there should not be a problem.

There is a lot of Heartbeat memorabillia but then the series was filmed here over several years and Goathland is known as Heartbeat Country so I think it would be a little odd if the hotel did not have any reference to this as most of the shops in the village do too. I don't think the hotel is trading on the name of Heartbeat as this hasn't been filmed for several years and the hotel is still a busy country pub frequented by many.

We chose to eat in the pub as we were only there for one night but the menu is not extensive. My only complaint was the slight attitude I received when I had to let the kitchen staff know my main course was only luke warm. I am not the kind of person who complains but nobody appeared to check the food was ok so my husband had to go and find someone. The lady said the food was the correct temperature when it left the kitchen as they have to test everything with a thermometer first. This made me feel as though I was not telling the truth and ended up having to stick my finger in the middle of the dinner to prove a point. She then took it away and when it returned it was piping hot. Maybe the thermometer needed replacing!

The breakfast the next morning was exceptional however and no complaints on that front. Plenty of choice and everything served fresh and piping hot.

Overall the hotel could perhaps do with a little TLC, especially perhaps the bathrooms but overall we had an enjoyable stop over and would still visit the pub again next time we are passing through.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed for three nights after reading some of the reviews were poor we found this not to be true. The room we had was clean and tidy with great views the breakfast was excellent, we had an everning meal as well this was very good the staff were helpfull and plesent.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have good views of the garage rooms at the back have views of the moors
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Andrew M
TheGoathlandHotel, Manager at The Goathland Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. Thanks so much for taking the time to let others know. Receiving it on such a busy bank holiday its a great morale booster to us all!

Best Regards
Hannah Richardson
London
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Well where do I begin, arrived in goathlands very impressed with the village, not many varieties of shops mainly gift and cafes so not much to look after a while me and my family stayed here for 3 nights but left early it seemed like a good idea to book it due to the tv program heartbeat being filmed there a few years ago but much of a disappointment. The waitress/managers daughter was the most rude and ignorant person I've ever met, So overall disappointed with the room, staff, hotel, and the food, please if you want an enjoyable stay don't go there !!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Tanya C
Dear Tanya,

Sorry to hear you had to curtail your holiday, unfortunately we were told that it was due to a break in at your house, not your personal choice. I treated you all with courtesy at all times and certainly I am in no way ignorant. Your last night was due to be charged to you and I organised so that you did not have to pay that. Shame the same courtesy shown to you could not have been reflected back in your review.

Travelers are raving about these Goathland hotels

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Cost me £90 previous night for a us to stay in a top hotel in Harrogate including 2 sparkling (cava)afternoon cream teas, 2 four course dinners, 2 full Yorkshire breakfasts buffet style ie eat as much as you like, all of which was fabulous. The following evening it was goathland hotel, cost £95 b&b
Bar meals available during very restricted times as was breakfast, and they are pub meals not restruant meals,kippers where awful similar to eating oily cardboard,so i left them, english breakfast was passable but served to you plated up.
We saw no one of authority during the 24 hours we where there!
I think this bubble will burst soon unless someone gets their finger on the pulse!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Jrspeedy
Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

We chose to stay at this hotel despite the recent poor reviews as some of the comments seemed a bit unfair and bizarre. We'd been to the pub a couple of years ago and knew they welcomed our Cavalier King Charles pup so this was a big plus for us as we now have two.
Our dogs were made to feel welcome and we could take them in the bar with us on a night. The only place we couldn't take them was to breakfast so we left them in a crate in the room. The food was really nice for dinner and they had a good selection of pub meals. We were able to put drinks and food on the room bill which was handy. In fact the staff were really nice - I am almost 8 months pregnant and they made a point of letting me know when a more comfortable seat became available as we waited for dinner.
I find the reviews mentioning the nationality of staff just plain rude - everyone we dealt with was lovely and spoke great English.
Yes the meal times are restrictive but if you take the time to check them out you can plan ahead. We found the other hotel restaurants in the village served at similar times.
Our breakfast was really nice both days and good that it was cooked to order.
The village itself is lovely - we have no real interest in the Heartbeat thing and I think some reviewers judge unfairly because this is all they're bothered about. We took the steam train into Whitby and also walked to the Mallyan Spout waterfall. Both recommended.
Our room was great, clean and beds really comfy. All in all we really enjoyed our stay and would go back again.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank vickysusan
Thank you so much for your honest review. It means the world to us when our honest hard work is appreciated. As you noted we find that those that enjoy their stay tell others those that don't often use an anonymous forum. Pleased you had a good holiday and hope to see you both, dogs and new arrival at a future date.
Kind Regards

Hannah Richardson
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2013

after spending £ 40 on beer the night of august 6 2013 (,only ones in the pub), we returned on the morning of the 7th to take some pics of our 1960s bikes ,at the time the pub was closed ,out came the landlord to tell us it was private parking and to move I pointed out to him we had spent £40 the night before, don't mean a thing he said, he did not let me finish, what I was going to say was we were about to go in and order dinner for 6 what a mislabel old so and so, still his lose .we will never go back again. in fact most of the shop keepers in general were just give us your money and go

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank Pete T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goathland
The Mallyan Spout Hotel
#140 of 151 in Whitby
Broom House
Broom House
#2 of 2 in Egton Bridge

Been to The Goathland Hotel? Share your experiences!