“Heartbeat”

Ranked #10 of 10 Goathland B&B and Inns
Berwick upon Tweed, United Kingdom
“Heartbeat”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Me and my wife took my mam and dad to the hotel as a treat and was made welcome as soon as we got there during our stay it was my 60th and on returning from a trip to whitby I got a nice surprise as a heartbeat mug and a card from the staff with a picture of gina on the front was left in our room. Maybe the rooms could be updated but apart from that we had a great break the food was good nice friendly staff and a fantastic area.....just received a Callander nice touch.

Room Tip: The stars to the top can be hard going for o.a.p
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Grumpyandjoan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Reviewed December 9, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at the hotel last night and I wanted up take the opportunity to tell everyone what a wonderful time we had.

From the moment we walked in the lady that greeted us was warm, kind, informative and very friendly! She kept this level of hospitality throughout our stay and carried on to serving in the pub where she was just as kind. Top marks!

The room was lovely, amazing design, beautiful bathroom and everything I wanted to make the weekend special for my girlfriend. She had a lovely birthday waking up in the surrounding of 'Heartbeat' country and the little gift she was given when we checked out just made everything more special. Thank you very much for that!

I would certainly recommend your place to anyone thinking of visiting and staying in Goathland.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank NoakesRyan
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Having been Heartbeat fans for years, I booked two nights at The Goathland for my partner's birthday treat.
We were not disappointed. Everything was great. From the minite we walked in. The bar area very cosy with a log fire and the smell of a roast beef dinner was very welcoming. The staff were friendly and polite. The bedroom was cosy and warm and had a lovely view of the fields and sheep grazing in and around the car park. A good hearty cooked breckfast that kept us going all day. Excellant. The staff were helpful on our arival and suggested a day trip to Whitby on the steam strain from the station. This was a wonderful experience. Thanks must go to the staff who keep this line working and alive.
I would recomend The Goathland if you need a relaxing, slow pace of life. A time to unwind.

Room Tip: A room at the back of the hotel -
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Helen L
Goole, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

booked this hotel last minute to attend the whitby goth weekend, very over priced have stayed in far better places for half the price , on booking in we discovered the hotel doors get locked at 11pm unless u have an arrangement to stay out late , when we informed the staff we were going to be late on both nights of our stay we were told it was fine but if we were late the doors would be locked and we would be sleeping in the car , we couldnt work out if this was the landlords sense of humour or serious so we came home early which was very disappointing we felt like teenagers on a curfew , the food was ok but ordering breakfast from a menu was very odd and no vegan alternative , heart beat finished years ago really think its time to move with the times update your hotel or at least reduce prices to reflect the accommodation

Room Tip: dont book here if want a late night
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank Debbie R
British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Coming from Canada, and yes, long time viewers of Hearbeat, we thought that we would book into The Goathland on our drive down from Edinburgh to London.
We were very well treated, both in our email communications before we arrived, and on the evening of our arrival. The staff were most welcoming and we were given an excellent room at the top with a view of the countryside.
In the morning the full English breakfast was all we could have asked.
We enjoyed the arrival of the steam trains (a short walk away) and the local train aficionados said that we were lucky to see three steam trains at the same time!
We were sorry that we hadn't booked a second night!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank brainsby
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Me, my wife and two children went into the goathland hotel for an evening drink (fourtunatly we were staying at a different B&B). On entering the Bar area we were made to feel uncomfortable by the 6 or so other drinkers who just stared at us as we waited for a drink (think deliverance). Then a woman (clearly foreign) told us we could not drink in the bar and would have to go to the lounge. I went back to the bar area and ordered some drinks, a pint, glass of wine, glass of pure orange and a lemonade (4 drinks 4 people). The waitress/bartender/maid/cleaner/doorman then presented we with 3 drinks (pint,wine and a very large pure orange juice). I asked about the lemonade and she told me I had asked for pure orange and lemonade! (Remember 4 people 4 drinks) I pointed out yes I did ask for a pure orange and A lemonade but NOT in the same glass. After quizzing me again about the order she reluctantly poured me two more drinks (only because I hadn't paid). I paid for the drinks (I think I must have got a round in for the local clientele as well, very expensive) and joined my wife and two children (yes 4 people you catch on fast, unlike the staff) at a dreary table in a dingy room only to be followed by hellga carrying out a head count of our table (1 errrr 2 errrrrrr 3 errrrrr dam it!!!!!! 4!!!!!!). There is a reason the locals either drink across the road or as we preferr the mallyan spout hotel and bar. We will never drink there again, but I don't think they will care anyway. Give us your money and get out, NEXT!

• Stayed October 2012
11 Thank MrDeeee
TheGoathlandHotel, Manager at The Goathland Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
We find this review in extreme prejudice against or excellent international students and their key contribution to our small team and as such we decline to honour this review with a reply.

Hannah Richardson
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We have just returned from our annual trip to this hotel and I must say that the changes to the menu suited us perfectly. Breakfast was freshly cooked and hot with plenty of choice, evening meals now have a greater variety on offer, from just a snack if you have already had fish and chips in Whitby to a more substantial meal if you need it. The staff are all very friendly and always willing to please, you only have to ask and if possible they will oblige.
The rooms are clean and very comfortable with great views, ours had been recently re-decorated and has lovely photos of the area stored on the t.v. as well as hanging on the walls. The beds have memory foam toppers and are very comfortable and ensure a good nights sleep.
The village is beautiful and well worth exploring, shops have a wide variety of goods and are reasonably priced, so you do not feel that you are being ripped off. The tea shop near the village hall serves excellent home made food. The station is just a couple of minutes from the hotel and a day rover ticket means that you can spend the whole day travelling up and down the line by train and so gives good value for money.
For this trip we were accompanied by my sister and brother-in-law who were making their first visit to this hotel and the area. We have often been asked why we always return to the same place year after year. They simply fell in love with the place, and like us, can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Rooms 3&4 overlook the famous garage, other rooms have good views over the moors
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank smartmart4475832
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goathland
The Mallyan Spout Hotel
#139 of 151 in Whitby
Netherby House
Netherby House
#104 of 151 in Whitby

Been to The Goathland Hotel? Share your experiences!