Great pub, obviously very popular as when we arrived at about 6.0pm on Saturday night it was buzzing!
The food was excellent - good value with a wide choice; presented with style and served by friendly staff who were helpful and professional. The Whafedale breakfast is excellent and again, the level of service matched the quality of the food. Nothing was too much trouble.
The position of the Inn is good and the 'ambience' of the whole place gives a great feeling of welcome.
Now the bad bits - unfortunately there were a few.
1) There was a ghastly, unhealthy looking slop bin, with evil-looking contents, fag ends, an upturned 5 litre container and brim-full with rain water, right by the gate from the car park to the garden; the main access for guests after parking. It may not be there all the time, but it looked rather established and really shouldn't be on display at any time, let alone in such a prominent position.
2) The lavatory in our room (room 2) just didn't fill the cistern and therefore wouldn't flush without using the shower head (which luckily reaches) to fill the water tank prior to flushing. The water flow is just a mere dribble and that, frankly cannot be something that has just happened. We never saw the manager again and so couldn't report it, but intend to email them about it.
3) The water is scolding hot; there's a warning sign to that effect over the wash basin. Now that's not a problem except that the plug by the side of the basin (unattached) doesn't fit the plug-hole, so a warm wash is totally impossible as there is no way of mixing cold water to moderate the nuclear hot stuff to a useable temperature.
Small details perhaps, but it shows a lack of care and attention that you would expect for the price.
Overall, the stay was a mix of two contrasts. Food, staff and service all excellent. Accomodation rather poor for the price of £90 - even taking the excellent breakfast into account.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Beautiful Country Pub in the Heart of the Yorkshire Dales. ... more less