“What a wonderful and relaxing stay”

The Worsley Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hovingham
Bristol
“What a wonderful and relaxing stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

I stayed here again with my partner this time and we were allocated a double room in the main hotel. I love this hotel, the staff and also the food, which I have to say is almost beyond compare! The location of the hotel means that you are away from everything and have ultimate peace and quiet, whilst also still having easy and good access to all major tourist attractions!
We were made to feel very special and ALL the staff give exemplary service and are more than willing to accommodate any and all needs and wants and also are great to have a laugh with.
We took advantage of the games available and had a great game of Scrabble one evening and if we had so wanted could have borrowed DVDs to watch in our room or some of the many books available to borrow. I love the fact that they have DAB radios in the rooms and we didn't even think to turn on the TV. Wifi is available in the main hotel but mobile signal and reception is poor - my partner and I loved this as we are plagued by calls all day everyday due to our busy work lives and so this was an added bonus!
Breakfast is a wonderfully relaxed affair which makes you feel the need for either a very long walk or a sit down as it is so delicious you tend to overeat - Doreen's black pudding is to die for!
The dinner we had in the main reception was absolutely superb and my partner had plate envy - he wanted everything I had ordered but it was too delicious to let him have lots of my dishes! :-)
We will most definitely be returning again - thank you for a wonderful weekend.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
WorsleyArmsHotel, Owner at The Worsley Arms Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear siobhan69bristol

Thank you for your positive feedback.

I am delighted that your weekend with us was stress free and enjoyable, I remember the Scrabble game, still not sure some of those words were allowable, still you make you own rules!

The kitchen team work hard to satisfy our guests so thank you for your kind words.

We all look forward to welcoming you back next time you need a break.

Tony Finn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

My partner and I stayed for one night on a special offer through Groupon. Fantastic value for money. We stayed in one if the cottage rooms which was really cosy and had everything we needed. Lovely outlook across the green from the window. Breakfast was delicious in the morning. Only one gripe - the deal included a glass of prosseco and cake but we were not offered this at any point. However it didn't deter from a nice night away in a lovely part if Yorkshire.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Gillianlynne

Thank you for your positive feedback, in today's market everyone is looking for value for money and you found it here! that is a great endorsement!! I am sorry if you missed out on the 'extras' all you had to do was ask, we have found that guests prefer them at different stages of their stay so they are available on demand, if that was not made clear then I apologise.
On the positive side these special offers introduce many new guests to us who return time and time again, hopefully you will now be joining them, complimentary cake and Prosecco will be awaiting you on your next visit.

Wilsden, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

Stayed here with a KGB 2 night voucher and we were allocated room 6 over the road with having a dog. The room was downstairs just inside the entrance which was perfect to wipe down our mad springer spaniel. Car parking was a bit of a squeeze but if there was no room we could have parked on the road around the corner. We did not have our evening meal here so that I cannot comment on but breakfast was gorgeous. We were even asked if we wanted 2 poached eggs which was not turned down. Having our dog with us and not wanting to leave him in the room alone we ate breakfast in a snug just outside reception. This was fine for us as we just went and helped ourselves to cereal, juice etc. Nothing was too much trouble and all the staff were helpful. Beautiful location for walking and great river for washing your dog in before going back to the room. Only thing I would say is take a torch as at night there are no street lights which I loved as I prefer to sleep in the pitch black. We will definitely be back as it is a beautiful part of the country.

Room Tip: Room 6 was great for us having a dog and the bed was ssssoooo comfy.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear GinnyA

Thank you for your positive feedback, I would have thought that with a good dog walk ahead of you two eggs would be obligatory! The cottages are ideal if you are staying with a dog but I think that you have got confused with your room numbers as rm 6 is in the main building I do not wish to be pedantic but I would not want to cause confusion to potential guests who read your review.

You are correct about the street lights or lack of them, but torches are available at reception.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back soon, the autumn colours look great at the moment, and no decent dog walk is the same without leaves to kick!!

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

Worsley arms has an air of faded elegance. It's not particularly near Helmsley or any other town in the area. No street lights at night only 1 pub which is okish. The hotel is very clean the room was pleasant and warm. The staff were pleasant and helpful too. We stayed in the cottages across the road from the main building. At night very dark as lights near building didn't work. Only there 2 nights and we were out and about for about 12 hours on 2 day break.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear chesvegas

Thank you for your review, sorry about the fused light this has now been attended to so thank you for mentioning it, you are right the village has no street lights but we can provide torches from reception for nocturnal wanderings.
The beauty of Hovingham is that it is not too near to anywhere, and this makes it the perfect base for exploring the moors and coast.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Hovingham soon.
Midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

This is a bit of old England, and certainly not run of the mill.

I was a bit taken aback initially, as I didn`t even know I was going after
having just arrived back from a holiday in Ibiza. What a lovely surprise
as drastically different from waking up overlooking a gorgeous bay but
also waking up with weather warnings and gale force winds of 100mph
throwing it down with rain and not likely to be doing anything more
rigorous than plucking my eye brows. Well, never mind. It` s a lovely
place to visit - the food (dinner) was individually cooked, beautifully
prepared by real people, one of whom in our case, was a young man who
took the time and trouble to ensure you got what you wanted, both
in the evening and again at breakfast, - which was HUGE.

If you`re looking for minimalistic, super shiny and clinical, this place
will not be for you, but if you are prepared to chill a bit, just enjoy
what there is to enjoy and take your time you will love it.

Dear wanderingscarlet

Thank you for your positive feedback. From Ibiza to Hovingham - what a contrast!! we are what we are, and I am delighted that it was right for you, I am not sure but I think that the weather improved long enough for you to explore some of the surrounding countryside.

I have passed on your comments about the food to the kitchen, thank you for that, it makes my job a little easier!
We look forward to welcoming you back to Hovingham soon.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

My wife & I booked 2 nights here as part of a walking week in Yorkshire as part of our wedding anniversary treat We knew the hotel as it was a favourite venue for afternoon tea when our daughter lived in York My wife booked room 20 in the cottages as we have had enough of creaky floorboards in old country hotels The room was spacious, well appointed, clean, comfy & quiet apart from the agricultural traffic that moves around the village during early morning We ate in their restaurant the first night as we had another venue for our anniversary dinner We were very well looked after by Mr Nick Galway who took the time & trouble to explain that they source their food from local suppliers The venison dish we had was superbly cooked & presented Breakfast was also a treat & Nick handled a room full of guests with speed & courtesy It was lovely to revisit the place & it brought back many happy memoires Do visit this beautiful part of the Howardian Hills, try the venison & get Nick to look after you

Room Tip: Room 20 was great for us
1 Thank David D
Dear David D

Thank you for your review, it was a pleasure to welcome you back to Hovingham. I am delighted that you found the cottages comfortable and spacious and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

Hovingham's a lovely village with nice architecture, and this applies equally to the Worsley Arms Hotel. We came here on a KGB deal which included an evening meal as well as breakfast: excellent value. The room was a good size and although it was at the front of the building looking onto the main road, traffic noise was well managed by the window glazing. We enjoyed the included evening meal enough that we had another one the following night. The menu was very good and, considering the quality of the food, well-priced. There's also an extensive wine list. It's well worth taking a walk around the village, there's a leaflet with some suggested walks available at the hotel. One thing to bear in mind: mobile phone reception in the area was very poor at the time we visited.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank David B
WorsleyArmsHotel, Owner at The Worsley Arms Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear David B

Thank you for review, and your description 'A little Gem' which I find very flattering!
We seem to have ticked all the boxes for you which is to the credit of the team.
Lets hope others read your comments and experience it for themselves.

Come back and see us again soon!

Tony Finn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hovingham
The Old Lodge
The Feathers Hotel
The Feathers Hotel
#3 of 4 in Helmsley
Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa

Been to The Worsley Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!