“a countryfied pleasure”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hovingham
Lincoln
“a countryfied pleasure”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

My wife and I have stayed here before many years ago and it still has plenty of charm set in a very pretty village central to most areas close to york moors Staff very helpful we stayed in one of the cottages ajacent to the hotel it was very nice the only down side is going out to the resturaunt and back especially if raining but failing that we have no other complaints a really nice 2 day break

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed May 16, 2013

my husband and I decided -because we were in the UK for a wedding, to visit York and wanted to stay somewhere "away from the maddening crowd" and this hotel was situated in a lovely village not far from York with a pub within walking distance.
The room we had was very ordinary - opening the door to your room you had to remember that it had two steps down to enter your room. The bed was comfortable , but it had no shower cabinet only a shower head in a bath -shower head was enormous and because I had trouble with my knees sometimes had to be careful when "climbing" into the bath to shower. Light in bathroom was faulty, sometimes working .The breakfast in the morning was good, the staff were very friendly-- What lets this hotel down - it needs a "make-over" badly.

Room Tip: This is a old pub-type country hotel - set in a lovely village setting - quiet and with easy access...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank christine530
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Having stayed here before we were delighted to meet the owners again and the super friendly staff, all busy ‘multitasking’, with a smile.
We had the same ‘superior twin' as last time, which was quite comfortable but close to needing a re-furb. The faulty bathroom light was ‘fixed’ once but failed again and was still not working when we left.
With outside temperatures of only 10 -12 deg C we felt cold and were advised to turn up the thermostat. However nothing happened and we found that the heating had been ‘switched off’!!!!. After an hour the radiator in the bedroom warmed up a bit but the bathroom remained cold.
We were expecting wonderful food and wine and elegant dining and were not disappointed, in the main. Tony’s wine knowledge allowed my wife and I to try some excellent vintages and we found the menu to be interesting and acceptable. However I did experience a dish with pork and onions so hard that it was impossible to cut them with a normal table knife, and the pork on the red side of pink. This was sent back to the kitchen and returned in a more edible condition.
Eventually I was able to talk to the chef, a person with ‘attitude’, who only reluctantly accepted responsibility- what a shame!
On the busy Saturday evening another manager and restaurant team really looked after us and made for a very enjoyable meal.
The general ambiance of this old building remains but aspects of plumbing and decoration still need improvement without losing the rustic charm. We hope to visit again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Baileyarabians
Hull, England
Reviewed May 12, 2013

My friend and I stayed in April for a 2 night deal from the hotel's website as it worked out better value than any other offers we saw, we were visiting the Spa in Helmsley so this was a lovely rural retreat and base for exploring. We were welcomed by Tony the owner on our arrival, lovely chap with a great sense of humour and showed to our room. We were a little disappointed with it as the exterior of the building is olde worlde and the room didn't live up to that, we had a twin room and the beds were very close even for friends, but after a bit or a move round with bedside cabinets it was fine, the bathroom was adequate but the shower cubicle was tight and the shaver light could have done with a dust on the top, on the plus side there was a large heated towel rail that was on constantly so no wet towels and the sash window opened allowing fresh air in the room, which as the weather was quite warm was a major plus point.
Downstairs the atmosphere was lovely with a small bar with real fire, a small informal dining room along with a larger more formal room for dining and breakfast. The food could not be faulted, the breakfasts were fabulous with plenty of choice and served piping hot, I had yorkshire ham and poached eggs which was a lovely change from the norm. The evening meals were amazing and served beautifully, we had a crab risotto with sea bass with pesto and it was delicious, there is plenty of choice and specials. One thing we didn't try was a wine flight, where Tony serves you a selection of wines as tasters and gives you an insight into them. I noticed there were many french wine certificates dotted about showing Tony had passed various sommelier courses and would have found that interesting to know more had it not been so busy.
All the staff we met were very friendly and courteous and we were made to feel very welcome which is a terrific achievement when running a hotel. It is somewhere I would return either to stay or for a meal.
As a previous member said, the mobile signal wasn't good, non existant in the hotel and very patchy in the village and my friend and I had fun walking round the village one evening holding our phones in the air trying to find even one bar and got so excited when we did, sad I know!
The last thing to mention is the village is worth a stroll round as it's a lovely place with a ford, there's also Hovingham Hall but it's only open to the public one day a year in June.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sassy28
Newcastle
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed in one of the lovely cottages which was cosy and the heating was on for our arrival.

The staff were lovely, especially Josh who did his utmost to make our stay comfortable and welcolming.

The food in the bar was good and breakfast delicious.

We discovered the hotel as part of a Living Social deal but we would definitely return for a chilled out break away from the city.
Hovingham is a good base to explore Helmsley and York and is surrounded by beautiful scenery.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WeekenderNewcastle
WorsleyArmsHotel, Owner at The Worsley Arms Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Madonmaldives
Thank you for your comments, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Sorry if you felt that the room was a bit small maybe next time if you remind me we will try to find one of the larger rooms for you. It was a delight to have you with us we all enjoyed your company, here's to the next time!
Regards
Tony Finn
East Yorkshire
Reviewed April 27, 2013

My friend and I stayed in April on a deal available on hotels own website. Charming owners and staff made us feel very welcome.
All areas of hotel clean, tidy and freshly decorated with super real fire in the bar!
Our twin room was a tad small as was the bathroom but we got used to it.
The food selection was fabulous, large menu plus large specials board, choice of places to dine, just off cricketers bar or more formal dining room. Breakfast was fab too, again a good selection available (hot food served on hot plates) I like it! So many places serve food on cold plates, it makes me cross.
Mobile signal was bad.
Lovely big car park and gardens to rear of hotel.
All in all an excellent experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mad-on-Maldives
Europe
Reviewed April 19, 2013

The rooms are comfortable and offer good value. Breakfast was excellent. All the staff are helpful and charming. They kept dinner open for me as they knew I would be arriving after their normal hours. Convenient for Castle Howard and York.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank JeffCypress
WorsleyArmsHotel, Owner at The Worsley Arms Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Jeffcypress
Thank you for your feed back, as you will see you are in general agreement with the majority of our reviewers in that we have a team in place to look after our guests and ensure their comfort.
Your stay coincided with the opening of Castle Howard, one of the jewels of North Yorkshire tourism and the highlight of many of our visitors trips. If you are looking to return may I suggest a visit in December when Castle Howard is suitably decorated in a festive theme, and of course we would be happy to welcome you back.
Regards
Tony Finn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hovingham
The Old Lodge
The Feathers Hotel
#3 of 4 in Helmsley
Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa
Best Western Burn Hall Hotel

Been to The Worsley Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!