“Disappointing room, lovely food”

The Worsley Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hovingham
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We stayed at the Worsley on 17th August after finding it on laterooms. We paid much lower than the advertised price on the hotel website, presumably because it was such a late booking (only booked the day before), so we thought we were getting a bit of a bargain. The food in the restaurant in the evening was excellent, and breakfast was also good, however the room was very disappointing. We had booked the superior rather than the standard as the pictures made the rooms look very inviting. Our room was nothing like the one in the picture! I didn't complain as it was ok, and we had got it quite cheaply. However on reflection a number of things now irk me. The bed was very comfortable and the sheets were beautifully laundered, but the room was exceptionally tired and smelled a little musty, paper was peeling from the walls and some of the bathroom tiles were cracked. The sash window in the bedroom did not stay open, we had to prop it open with a milk portion carton to get any air into the room.
On re checking the reviews I now see that we were given the seemingly infamous room 12, with the small corridor between the bedroom and bathroom. The glass door was covered by a net curtain, which was perfectly acceptable, but I see that the broken sash window was reported in 2010. When I mentioned the broken window on leaving the receptionist said thankyou for telling her, as they would now be able to rectify it. Obviously not!
Room 12 is at the back of the hotel, so does not have much of a view, is over the Cricketers bar (which is fine) but must also be over the kitchen, as when the window was open there was the distinct smell of cooking and it was quite noisy in the late afternoon, we could hear things being moved around and doors banging etc.
The young man who checked us in was very welcoming and well mannered, however he was aloo manning the bar and waiting on in the evening and looked as though he was virtually running the place on his own.
It was very quiet, there were only 3 other couples at breakfast, so I am sure that some of the better rooms described by the owner in response to other reviews were available. There was a wedding the following day, and I feel that the better rooms were probably being saved for the wedding guests, to avoid needing to service them on the Saturday. I could have understood more if the hotel had been full and we had booked the last room available.
Basically in terms of the room, I think we got less than we actually paid for, which is why I have rated the hotel poor. Credit to the young man who said he was a trainee manager, when he actually looked as though he was being used as a general dogsbody.
So, we won't be returning, and I would have been more than angry if I had paid the £172 per night as is advertised on the hotel website.

Room Tip: Do not accept room 12!

Reviewed August 16, 2012

We have just returned from two nights here using a Living Social Voucher. It was a lovely Hotel in a very beautiful village. The staff were extremely friendly and could not do enough for you. The food was exceptional with a very good menu. We would certianly recommend this hotel and hope very much to go back again.

Room Tip: we had a room on the front of the hotel which was quite noisy so next time we will ask for one overl...
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Stayed for one night using a Living Social Voucher. Was delighted with the village and surrounding area. The hotel was good and the staff very helpful and welcoming. The food was very good at dinner with a varied menu. Breakfast was excellent and our stay was really good value for money. Would recommend to anyone for a short break. Nearby Helmsley, Malton, Pickering, Ampleforth all worth a visit.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

Stayed for two nights and the combination of warm sunny weather, a pretty village and a hotel of character with friendly staff ensured we had a very relaxed and enjoyable break to mark a special occasion.
Our room was a reasonable size, clean and very comfortable although we did have to be careful negotiating our way down steep steps into the bathroom.
We ate breakfast and dinner each day in the restaurant and thought both were very good with a wide range of options and very tasty food.We took coffee in one of the several small lounges which help give the hotel its cosy character.
The hotel's garden is a lovely quiet area to relax in and watch the swallows overhead.
All the staff were approachable, friendly and helpful.
Overall we had a marvellous time and would stay there again if visiting the area.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Stayed for one night, enjoyed our time here, the location is great and the hotel is in a very quiet, but picturesque village. I thought the menu was overpriced but can't comment on the food quality in the resturant as I only had breakfast, this was ok but nothing special, we ate at the pub 2 minutes walk down the road, the food there was nice & much cheaper than the hotel.
We were in room 1 which had a great view, room a little tired, new carpets and a general upgrade are required, I also felt it was a little dirty, especially the bathroom, the floor hadn't been cleaned and had quite a bit of hair on it. The sheets were nice and clean though.
The hotel gardens are nice, enjoyed a couple of beers out there (larger was good, not flat like some hotels)
Staff were all friendly and pleasant.
In summary, I glad we got this stay on a deal website as we got what we paid for, had I paid full price I would have expected much more, in comparison with what experience I have had with hotels in this price bracket.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night over a weekend attending an event at nearby Castle Howard.

Overall, the hotel was excellent. It has loads of character, I enjoyed the food and the service from all the staff on duty was first class.

I have stayed in hotels around the world and have stayed in hotels costing twice as much and the service has not been as good.

It was peaceful, the location was great for the sights of Yorkshire. Our room was clean and quiet, in one of the 'cottage rooms' just across the green.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again if I was in the area as everything about the hotel was great.

I've never before encounter such helpful, friendly staff at a hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank davidisherwood
WorsleyArmsHotel, Owner at The Worsley Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Dear David
Thank you for your review.
I am delighted that you enjoyed you stay with and flattered by you comments. We do try hard to look after our guests and I am proud that the team will go that extra mile for our patrons. Your comments have been circulated and backs patted on your behalf.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Regards
Tony Finn

Reviewed July 16, 2012

We stayed at the Worsley as we were going to an event at the village hall . The car park at the back has loads of space and is free...... Hovingham village is very pretty and close to York.
We entered the hotel at the back from the car park .....There was a pervading smell of fusty sour mop!!!!!!
We booked in and the guy on reception was really helpful and friendly and as he showed us to our room the smell seemed to follow us upstairs......could the smell be caused by a leaky roof ?...(There were several small buckets on the next flight of stairs)......
The room ....... oh dear..... The carpet was so heavily stained I didn't really want to walk on it without my socks ...... the walls were covered with dirty scuff marks and the paintwork was chipped and marked.....the bed was very small and hard though the sheets were white ,crisp and clean...... All the furniture was very dated and a bit tired looking.....We looked out onto the car park and an old workshop....... Not great but that didn't bother us much.....the curtain was not hooked onto all the rings so sagged in places .....the room would of made the Hotel Inspectors hair stand on end.
The bathroom was clean with good thick white towels.......but again really dated..... The over the bath shower squirted water upwards as well as down and the shower screen did not fit properly so water flooded the floor.....(maybe this is where the fusty smell was coming from)?
However the food both in the bar and the breakfast room was very good indeed and all the staff were super friendly and helpful......
The niggle for me was that we paid £120 for one nights BnB and the poor state of the bedroom and the public lounges certainly did not reflect the price we paid....

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Anjeeg
WorsleyArmsHotel, Owner at The Worsley Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2012

Dear Anjeeg

I am sorry that you were disapointed with your accommodation. The hotel is in a rolling programme of refurbishment so some rooms will be more modern than others. I am not aware nor did any one else comment on a 'damp' smell.

I am delighted you enjoyed your meal and the performance at the village hall we are lucky to have such a facility on our door step .

Having experienced our hospitality at first hand it seems a shame that you did not raise your concerns directly to us but chose to do so throught a third party. I can assure It is our company policy not to bite!

I hope that on another occasion we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hovingham.

Tony Finn

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hovingham
The Black Swan Hotel
#1 of 3 in Pickering
The Royal Oak Hotel
The Royal Oak Hotel
#1 of 4 in Helmsley

Been to The Worsley Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!