“Great weekend”

The Worsley Arms Hotel
Reserve with OpenTable
The Worsley Arms Hotel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 4 Restaurants in Hovingham
Cuisines: European, British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Worsley Arms is a privately operated restaurant with rooms set in the heart of the picturesque North Yorkshire village of Hovingham. Lunch is served daily in the Cricketer's Bar whilst for dinner you may choose between the bar and the slightly more formal atmosphere of the dining room. The comprehensive menu includes daily specials and a popular steak selection featuring cuts from selected breeds including Dexter, Long Horn and Aberdeen Angus. To accompany the fine fayre there is a an interesting wine list created by your host Master Sommelier Tony Finn who will be on hand to advise you on your selection. The Worsley Arms also hosts regular wine dinners so be sure to leave your details to be included on the mailing list for future events and offers.
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Lovely traditional country hotel with friendly staff , great nights sleep in a very comfortable bed and a good breakfast to start the day

There are newer reviews for The Worsley Arms Hotel

Reviewed March 10, 2014

Venturing into the Worsley Arms restaurant is like stepping back in time.Its a rather old fashioned place but none the worse for that. What is for sure is that the food here is excellent and served by a chef who has a great sense of fun. For example my starter consisted of a superb pork terrine pie with melt in the mouth pastry served with home made piccalilli and a pease pudding sauce. It came with a portion of cheese and a large pickled onion!. Main course was three large slices of aged beef served with a proper Yorkshire pudding and three large but delicious roast potatoes .It was accompanied by purple carrots, peas and lardons and kale leaves. The fun theme continued with dessert where my forced rhubarb and English set cream served on a ginger granola had a sprinkling of sherbet which gently fizzed on the palate. Best of all the cost of this feast was a remarkable £19.50!. We ordered a Primitivo Salento for £21 which was decanted and served in large goblet style glasses - a nice touch. Great experience and I rather think we will be seeing a lot of this place this summer..........

2  Thank Scribbler82
WorsleyArmsHotel, Owner at The Worsley Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Dear Scribbler82

Thank you for posting your thoughts, I was delighted you enjoyed you lunch, I agree, that beef sure looked good! We do try to price the Sunday lunch menu with families in mind, and by buying our beef whole and direct from the farm we are able to 'sharpen our pencil' a bit, but you are correct it is great value.

I look forward to welcoming you back , if not for Sunday lunch may be to one of our wine dinners, which also offer great value!

Thank you again for the review.

Regards
Tony Finn

Reviewed February 15, 2014

We visited this restaurant without prior checking reviews and can certainly recommend it most highly . We were there for Valentines night , so the restaurant was themed accordingly . The menu was £25 for 3 courses a little cheaper without dessert. I presume the general a la carte menu will be similar every other night .. These guys can cook ! The game terrine was authentic and full of rich flavour ..it had a kind of Chili chutney garnish which accented the dish perfectly , my wife had the soup , with lots of rich truffle flavour which made her recall summer nights in Italy, my daughter had figs with sticky toffee sauce, Parma ham and mozzarella.. having the least adventurous palate we thought it was a brave choice , but she loved it, it was totally different , and well,done to the chefs for thinking of it .. Main courses were Filet steak for the girls ..not a huge portion but perfectly sized for their appetite ..well cooked to their exact requests and with the greens and potato they were totally happy ..my pork loin was tender , full of flavour , with crackling and black pudding providing proper Yorkshire flourish . I was so full I couldn't manage dessert..the girls shared a massive dark chocolate fondue with fruit & couldn't quite finish it all ! The most important part of the menu for me, the wine list , was very comprehensive ..regrettably , as it was Valentines, I was the ladies driver so could only partake in a little of their Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc, which I can report was well kept & delivered well chilled for less than £25 a bottle ! The rest of the wine list looked well constructed and I'm looking forward to sampling some of the Red's on our next visit . The restaurant is inside the hotel, the decor is old country English , it's clean, it's got a comfortable bar and open fire sitting lounge for aperitifs and has lovely helpful staff who are prompt , polite and compliment the whole package perfectly . In summary , the village setting is close to Castle Howard, one of Yorkshire's & Britain's finest gems ..it is amazing countryside to drive out to and as we live in York only takes 25 mins driving easy ..the hotel & bar seems countryside friendly , so if you come in from a day walking to sit by the fire i bet you'll be warmly welcomed .. Ultimately , if you have clever chefs , nice waiting and front of house staff with smiles on your faces, you aren't going to go far wrong ..and at these restaurant prices you'd be silly not to give it a try ..you might just love it , like we did .

1  Thank Tony F
Reviewed February 6, 2014

We called in here for dinner as we were staying up the road. The menu sounded good but when it arrived the portions were tiny, my husband had the lamb but you needed a magnifying glass to find it! I had the chicken which consisted of a smallish chicken breast on top of a spoon full of mash it tasted nice but we left hungry. The meal was overpriced for the amount of food we were given, saying this tho the service was good.

2  Thank beas006
WorsleyArmsHotel, Owner at The Worsley Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2014

Dear Kidheaduk

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you were disappointed with your visit, skimping on portions is not something that we are often accused of as other reviewers will testify.

We would have welcomed a comment at the time to allow us to rectify any problems or concerns that you had (or even supply the magnifying glass).

We try to offer a balanced menu to cater for those who are just looking for one course as well as those diners who are looking a three meal. Our main courses are priced from £12.50 for a hearty Shepherds Pie to £17.95 for a lamb dish that features a selection of lamb cuts cooked in three different formats roasted loin, braised shoulder and a slow cooked mini hotpot, all served with a sauce made from freshly prepared stock. Without wanting to sound flippant the price paid is not always consistent with the quantity on the plate. The menu includes various side dishes of vegetables and potatoes for those who wish to add to their main dish, this option is popular where guests just require single course.

Thank you for positive comments about the service.

I hope that on another occasion you decide to return and look forward to welcoming you.

Regards

Tony Finn

Reviewed January 13, 2014

This is the place to drop off for a cup of tea and cake and sitting in front of the open fire makes it special. The staff are so attentive and friendly too. Must try the restaurant some time.

2  Thank Anne C