“Top place, literally”
Review of The Lion Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kirkbymoorside
The Lion Inn
London
“Top place, literally”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

What an absolutely delightful C2C moment it is to emerge from a bend and cutting on the old railway and see the Lion Inn standing high and proud above the next curve in the track. You're going to work a bit more to get up there but, my word, you're going to appreciate it when you do.

The Lion's secret is that it is much bigger than it looks. They've done clever Tardis-like expansion so that actually it's quite a big place but manages to retain its lovely cottagey, small-pub feel. We had lovely comfy rooms and an absolutely terrific view out over the moors - you really do feel like you're pretty much on the roof of the national park here. Dinner was good if not world-class and the service was cheerful and quick. Terrific beer.

It was a great feeling to stay at the Lion and we would strongly recommend it as an essential North York Moors experience.

Room Tip: Get a moorland view! (Might be impossible not to ...)
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vogel421

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I haven't eaten here for years and thought it would be nice to try somewhere local that everyone keeps telling me about again. We went for Sunday lunch and I had just 2 courses but it was plenty. Such good value for money definitely with the good sized portions. We booked as I know that they are usually always busy, and we were sat near one of the roaring fires which was very welcoming. Very polite staff and good service. Won't leave it so long next time, recommend to anyone who would ask for somewhere nice, local and good value.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank JMS34987
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2014

This is a very nice pub to sit in the bar with a pint after a walk. The food is rather average- vast quantities of not great quality food, probably due to the vast numbers of people they serve ( the chips are an exception to this!). Very nice to spend some time by the fire but don't expect a great culinary experience.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Catherine M
Argyll & Bute
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I had heard about the Lion Inn from my friend & as I was down visiting my boyfriend who lives nearby he said he'd take me.
The place itself is out on the moors so very out of the way but quite cosy when we got in.
The staff wern't that hospitable though & the prices quite steep but the portions were manageable but used to be bigger & cheaper according to my boyfriend.

He had the scampi which he really enjoyed but my lasagne was very bland & to be honest I could make better myself & I'm a rubbish cook! I'd been told the chips were superb but although they were home cooked & tasty I've had better in fast food restaurants!

All in all an ok meal but not worth the travelling & I wouldn't visit again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Staithes, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Have been to this pub quite a few times. Always enjoying whatever meal we choose on the day. Have taken family and friends and always receive a warm welcome. The food is fresh, tasty and very well cooked. We will be visiting THE LION 3 or 4 times a year.

1 Thank MACKEMLAD W
Porpoise Spit Oz
Reviewed November 25, 2013

The location of The Lion Inn is just magical, perched high up on those desolate moors. It reminded me of Jamaica Inn on Bodmin Moor. We arrived in a thick fog and to step inside this warm friendly establishment after our most arduous day's walking along the Coast to Coast was a real treat. The inn is quite large but seems to remain cosy at the same time.

Our room was in what appeared to be a newish annex attached to the rear of the property. New decorated with a welcoming bath. As this was the most expensive room along our C2C trek I had expected something special. So was a little disappointed in a small room with a tiny ‘double’ bed. I am only 5’ 10’’ and had my feet hanging off the end. The mattress was also none too comfortable.

Should I have also been surprised, given its location, that the staff are not orientated towards walkers? I asked if there facilities to dry our wet gear and was looked at in a bemused fashion. We ended up drying the gear in our room on the radiators etc.

Later that evening we had a meal in the restaurant. Now that was something to write home about. Definitely one of the best pub meals we had during our stay in England, both for quantity and quality. We were both very impressed. The beer was also excellent.

Make the Lion Inn a stop on your C2C just make a few allowances.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LeWobbler
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I've driven past, walked past, eaten at and drank beer at the Lion Inn so many times - it has the perfect location, wild and hidden yet large and well-used at the same time. It feels like a homely welcoming house like out of a Tolkien journey. I finally stayed in August, walking up from Kirkbymoorside and just in time before the doors shut and (just as important) they stopped serving. I got that easygoing yorkshire welcome at the door - 'now then'. And it was the best night's sleep I've earnt in ages, and to wake up there and set up north over the moors was so perfect. Big packed lunches!

Room Tip: No idea, I took what I was given and it was grand.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkbymoorside
Raithwaite Estate
Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa
George & Dragon Hotel
George & Dragon Hotel
#4 of 8 in Kirkbymoorside

Been to The Lion Inn? Share your experiences!