Kings Head Hotel
Lastingham Grange(Lastingham)
  • Breakfast included
Old Manse Hotel(Pickering)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewshigh streetpoached eggsan evening mealvillage pubwell stocked barfit for a kingover christmasnorth yorkshirebed was comfortablefull englishsmaller portionsnice roomlamb shankspent two nightsstaff were helpful and friendlyservice with a smilevery pleasant stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 4, 2011

We arrived at lunchtime on Friday and were checked in and shown to our room by Tom (a young friendly chap who also was also our waiter in the evening and the chef for breakfast in the morning!).

I’ll start with the positives:
• Free wi-fi in the rooms
• The starters we had in the restaurant were lovely and they do really good chips, you also get a nice big chunk (around half a loaf) of home made bread with a pot of butter with your meal.
• Breakfast was nice, I had an English muffin with a poached egg one morning and a cooked breakfast the next – both were nice.
• The pub is nice and the locals are friendly.
• Nice big bathroom in the room.
• There’s off street parking round the back for guests.
• Two small bottles of water are provided in the bathroom.
• Tea and coffee making facilities in the room.
• Its dog friendly.

Now the negatives:
• It’s way overpriced for what you get, it seems like the going rate in the village, but I’ve stayed in Hiltons in London for less, you don’t really get a lot for your money at this place.
• The bedroom was on a slope, its an old building I know, but the bed needs levelling, we woke up numerous times through the night having slipped down the bed. As a result we had two terrible nights sleep.
• The bed is a standard double, most hotels I’ve been to who charge this rate have at least a King, so it felt a bit small.
• The sash window rattled at the slightest breeze but we managed to wedge something between the gap which seemed to stop it.
• It needs a good dust around, the top of the wardrobe looked like it hadn’t been dusted in years, the tops of the plug sockets were dusty and there were cobwebs dangling from the bathroom and bedroom ceiling.
• The PAT testing is 2 years out of date, one of the bedside lamps was a bit temperamental so my hubby (an electrician) checked the label and it was way out of date.
• The restaurant was a tad unaccommodating, its all home made food but they won’t stray from the menu. We asked for a Yorkshire pudding with our bangers and mash and were told that they only make Yorkshire puds on a Sunday, we asked for garlic bread with the lasagne and were told that they didn’t do it, we asked if they did side orders of anything to which we were told “yes, chips or sald”. We asked for fish, chips and mushy peas which was on the menu and were told that the fish wasn’t battered (!!). I ended up going for the lasagne and chips, it was ok, although the lasagne was a bit dry, and my husband went for the bangers and mash which he enjoyed, albeit without his Yorkshire pudding.
•The online booking on their website isn’t really online booking, you book online and they then proceed to hand write your reservation into a book by the side of the bar, its clearly not accurate as our friends found out. They “booked online” and brought their online confirmation with them, but they hadn’t been written in the book and there were no other rooms available. First of all they were told that this has happened before (alarm bells?!) then they were told that there were some vacancies in a pub down the road for the same price so they should go there, after quite a bit of reasoning with two members of staff they agreed to pay half towards the room as a form of compensation, they were also able to come and join us for breakfast in the morning.
•Our other friends booked into their room and there was an old cup of coffee and another used cup still in the room which hadn’t been cleared away.
•The iron and ironing board are in a room down the hall (this was fine) but the iron leaked so our clothes were crease free but a bit damp.
•The tv in the room looked very very old and didn’t work, the power supply was fed out of the room by some precarious looking conduit so we couldn’t see if it was turned on at the source or not.
•There was no maid service over our 2 night stay, this was fine, although for the price of the room I would have expected at least someone to have been in and made the bed.

All in all, it wasn’t a terrible stay, it made it better that our friends were there, if we were on our won I think I’d have been quite fed up. I think its way overpriced for the quality of the accommodation. They either need to reduce their rates or work a lot harder at managing the hotel side of the business.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Emma F
Reviewed December 27, 2010

We have stayed many times now with Simon and his team and have NEVER been disappointed, we have stayed in the main hotel with our small and well behaved little dog, which has always been made to feel welcome! This time we stayed in the De Villier Suite, again with our little dog, and it was excellent yet again, clean and fresh and ready for our arrival. My husband had arranged the surprise visit of my parents to join us and stay at the Kings Head for the night and they thoroughly enjoyed it also, so much so that we bought a voucher for them to stay next year!
My family and I have traveled the world all of our lives and have seen and experienced the best of the best and the worst possible and we can say that The Kings Head is right up there with the best for good honest home cooked food at exceptional value, a very friendly and efficient team who always make us feel welcome with no request being a problem along with an atmosphere that nowadays is sadly missing in this quick moving world that we all now live in and would recommend the Kings Head to anyone that wants a central good hotel to stay in whilst exploring North Yorkshire. If you want a corporate chain hotel then this is not the place for you, if you want the individual uniqueness and quirky charm of a country inn then stay here!
Please don't change a thing Simon! see you in 2011, all the best Suzhy, Alan and Murphy from Gainsborough in North Lincolnshire ;-)

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank alan12345_10
Reviewed November 24, 2010

We had previously booked this Hotel in july,however on arrival we found the bed had dirty mattress and signs of blood on the undersheets,we decided not to stay. We later complained and were assured by the owner that the hotel had a high standard and we were offered a credit note to be spent before a certain date.We took up the offer this month and was looking forward to meeting the owner and to sample some of the hospitality.On arrival we told the owner our name and he completely ignored us,not a word,and passed us over to his assistant.We never saw him again, so we were not able to express our disgust at his rude actions.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nibliak9
headsking22, Owner at Kings Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2010

Indeed these guests did check in in July and there were apparant problems. We did however show the guests another room, but they decided to leave. A credit note was issued to them as I think it is important to "right a wrong" and was pleased when they rebooked. I greeted the guests on arrival and as I was on my way to my sister hotel to duty manage for the evening, I handed them over to my very capable deputy who claimed the guests had enjoyed there meal and their stay. This was further backed up by my team member on sunday morning at breakfast who stated the guests had had a good time. I am sorry if I offended in any way, it certainly was not intentional and i do welcome back these guests to either of my hotels. As a final comment for any guests reading this, we at the kings head hotel will gladly take all constructive comments with pleasure and action any points without delay, BUT PLEASE TELL US TO OUR FACES!! thanks, Simon

Reviewed November 6, 2010

When we walked through the door we thought a little dated but pleasant then we were shown to our room. It was awful. It was dark and dindgy, I asked for another room but unfortunately they were full I asked for more light and was told no can do infact he offered to let us use our friends room to get dressed in, (our friends were out at the time). The room was a single room with a double bed in it so you can image the difficulties faced by two women needing to get dressed, it caused unnecessary stress for the whole weekend. The breakfast was adequate but not 4 star value infact I don’t know how they mange to achieve that status. On the plus side the staff are polite and helpful the manager on the other hand was not. We later found out that a couple had booked there room a few weeks before had a been giving a double room but we who had booked 12 months before were giving a single. We will not stay there again and will not recommend this hotel to our friends or our enemies.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

Granted the room in question here is one of our smaller rooms, however it has been recently refurbished and is in good order. It was not ideal for the two lady guests to be sharing a double bedded room and I would of thought the people they were traveling with would of taken the option of this smaller double bedded room and let the ladies take the twin. With regard to the lighting there are 7 forms of light within the room (two of which were not turned on!). I merely suggested to the ladies that maybe they could ask the occupants of room 9 (whom they were travelling with!) if they could possibly use there larger bathroom in thier room if they were having dificulties seeing. I am sorry if this was deemed an unnacceptable suggestion. we welcome constructive comments here at the kings head hotel and will action where we can. I welcome back these guests to either of my Hotels. Simon

Reviewed November 3, 2010

We stayed for two nights mid October 2010 with friends for the Pickering War Weekend. This pub/hotel had a very tired appearance inside, this was not due to it being very old, but being quite tatty and shabby. Our room, no9, was twin bedded, quite large and clean. We had the exit door to the fire escape in our room, with a key to our room in a break glass container, outside the door, in case of fire, which we had never seen before and thought quite strange. Fortunately there wasn't a fire, so we didn't have guests exiting through our bedroom! This room was quite noisy due to it being over the smokers area, but not a major problem. Our friends had a tiny double room no2, which was extremely dark and had next to no storage. In thier room was a cupboard with only 3 hooks on the back wall and no rail to hang clothes, this was supposedly the wardrobe. We all thought it was really a single room, possibly used as a double for this extremely busy and popular 1940's weeekend at Pickering. When our friends complained to the manager that it was so badly lit they couldn't see to put on their make-up and get ready, they were told to go to our room as we had a bigger room! To be honest I think it was the manager's unhelpful attitude that was one of the main problems. We felt he didn't really want to be dealing with customers, which is a great draw back in this line of business! The other staff - bar and dining room seemed very pleasant and helpful. Breakfast on the first morning was a little delayed as unfortunately the manager was taken ill, but the other staff coped well and the breakfast was ok. The 2nd morning the manager was back and the breakfast wasn't as good - we joined our friends at a 4 seater table and no fresh tea or toast was offered, seemingly because there was both already on the table, but belonging to our friends and both cold as they were down quite a long time before us. We asked for fresh tea and toast which took a very long time to come. The sausage was obviously under cooked and not very hot. On paying the bill which was £75 per room per night, it was taken by the manager without any of the usual pleasantries of "I hope you enjoyed your stay" etc. All in all, we thought we had received very poor service for quite an expensive weekend and would not go back there again. In all honesty it seemed a popular local pub, not a well run hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
headsking22, Owner at Kings Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2010

The Kings Head Hotel is a Grade 2 Listed 16th century coaching inn. Over the years the building has been updated and adapted to cater for today's modern amenities. It is not possible to modify these sort of buildings in some areas due to the constraints of the planners and the preservation of this fabulous old building. To this end there are 2 rooms that need to be used if ever there is a fire etc as an actual escape route. Not really a lot I can do about this. Clearly a Hotel needs some sort of fire escape route, and I find this a strange comment to make on a website like this?
As for the "smoking area" I am unsure what the guest is refering to. We dont have a smoking area, we have an outside patio and walled garden.
Regarding the issue with breakfast. I suggest to the guest that any issues raised at the time would have been dealt with there and then.
I believe the Kings Head Hotel is well priced in the market and the guests knew the cost of the rooms when they booked. Once again the Hotel is a 16th century building with some quirky but comfortable rooms. I welcome these guests back to either of my Hotels at any time. Simon