“Appalling Experience”
Review of Hotel Kennedy Nova

Hotel Kennedy Nova
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Il Gzira
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Oh, where to start? What a disaster! This was the Christmas that we apparently missed. The atmosphere at the hotel was absolutely dead with no festive spirit. I have never been to a hotel in which no entertainment was provided on Christmas evening. Nor, throughout the season was there even a bit of piped festive music to brighten the atmosphere during the daytime. The food was akin to hospital grub eg potatoes floating in water with sausage, left over mussels dumped in soup etc etc and that's the tip of the iceberg. The reception staff do the minimum in terms of helpfulness and kick around questions without an answer. Ditto for some of the waiting staff. During one evening. A group of several idled with backs to clients at dinner time as they payed close attention to the football on the TV which appeared perfectly placed for staff rather than clients. I know Malta well and have never had an experience like it. Many clients were up in arms but just appeared to be met with apathy. I give the hotel one star for the daily maid service. Apart from that, forget it!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank FaultyTowers101
HotelKennedyNova, Manager at Hotel Kennedy Nova, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Your words come at a surprise as we had a very active and welcomed calendar of events for the festive season. The general manager together with the staff has met guests on different nights offering complimentary traditional Christmas food and drinks whilst extending our best wishes. Entertainment was also present during most nights with live musicians and singers entertaining both guests and locals who opted to join us at the hotel to celebrate their holidays. The lobby was buzzing every night as more guests chose to spend the evening in the lobby and restaurant for the festive atmosphere.

The hotel was decorated to fit the joyous holiday period as all the team prepared to welcome the new year with a bang. It has been a great year for Hotel Kennedy Nova with a record number of returning guests.

Whilst we take this opportunity to wish all prospective guests a prosperous 2014, we eagerly await the opportunity to host them at our hotel.

With regards,

Reviewed December 29, 2013

I can't think of anything nice to say about this place except it is clean. Renovations still going on. Staff uncaring, inefficient and rude. Not interested in service at all. Be careful of the salesmen attached to the hotel trying to sell time share. They lie about everything- ie I work for the Malta tourist board I am not connected to the hotel ha and its not the deal you want. I disagree with the -good spot and there is no view . There is so much good accommodation in Malta these days so there is no reason to put up with a place like this. There are tiny balconies but really they are too small for any use.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Martins012
HotelKennedyNova, Manager at Hotel Kennedy Nova, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Dear guest,

We apologise for any inconvenience that our staff may have caused as we are currenlty doing minor/soft refurbishment to the property. You must have noticed how these works have tidied up the reception and lobby area, whilst making the property even brighter.

Reviewed December 23, 2013

Having booked a double room with terrace using travel republic I arrived to find I had been allocated a inside room with no terrace. The receptionist at night is not allowed to correct errors in room allocations so I had to wait until the morning. I went to change my room the next morning and was greeted by scorn and told travel republic had allocated me a single room despite it clearly showing double room in my printed conformation. I just took the room and kept quiet as it was obvious that the hotel didn't care despite the comments you can read from the hotel in response to reviews. In the tiny room there were only 2 electric sockets one for the satellite and one for the tv....a tiny portable from 1990s. I could not charge my phone and when I went to ask at reception they wouldn't do anything and when I said I would have to go and buy a double adapter she rudely replied " that's up to you". I have never been in a hotel that cannot allow its guests to charge their phone.....ridiculous in the 21st century.

In short very dated rooms with iron railings above the bed as headboards....very uncomfortable to sleep against.

Rude reception staff during the day.....evening staff were charming and helpful.

If you book through travel republic or laterooms expect the back rooms with no view.

Staff need training in hospitality service...

• Stayed: December 2013
6  Thank petersussex1
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Just returned for 5 week stay in hotel. Staff excellent ( must be different reception staff on when i stayed as they all were lovely !) with cleanliness of a really high standard and food improved from last visit. As I was leaving working had started on much needed refurbishments. The Kennedy Nova has a great location and while not a 4 star hotel I got good value for money. I spoke to lots of other visitors to Malta staying at other hotels. Most found good and bad points in them too. I paid a fair price and got what I payed for.Some people are never satisfied , I sometimes wonder if complaining is what they go on holiday for.I found if I had a query or needed something fixing it was done by the time I returned. Anyway I had a lovely time and am returning in March and look forward to seeing how the renovations went.

Room Tip: Seaview rooms great but small
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Aileen H
HotelKennedyNova, Manager at Hotel Kennedy Nova, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for such a positive review.
Glad to read your praising to our staff who work very hard to give our guests the best possible experience once in Malta.

We look forward to host you once again in March 2014.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

I will write a longer review within the next few days which will include "interesting" photo's on how they patch the curtains with masking tape, broken balcony glass and light covers. But for now my main observation and suggestion to potential visitors.....not a 4 star hotel...not even close. If you don't mind that you can not open your wardrobe because of the beds...just no space, rooms ample 3.5m by 3.5 m, two single beds together making a "double", staff (not sure who they mean in previous reviews" are not friendly with a few exceptions at the restaurant, reception staff no interest what so ever, looking bored and annoyed when approached. Very interesting where the ladies "in black" who appeared every morning passing the restaurant, ignoring all clientele, ordering coffee, and then moved to the smoking area.....apparently they are office staff..and obviously very important, to me they just appeared arrogant. Anyway, there are lots of hotels nearby, same price or similar and much much better. Location was the only good thing....photo's to come. What a joke.

Room Tip: Don't upgrade to a room with a view, you will get a smaller room (with a view)
2  Thank gill f
HotelKennedyNova, Manager at Hotel Kennedy Nova, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

Our records indicate that you have upgraded to the room of your choice and furthermore our records do not show any complaint filed by you during your stay. Please contact us at hello@kennedynova.com so as to understand better your feedback.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

We stayed half board at the Kennedy Nova in November 2013 and enjoyed it. The buffet food was great with about five hot choices every night; good choice of lovely sweets and cheese with bread sticks to follow. The staff were very friendly. We were lucky enough to have a larger corner room (judging by the hotel floor plan) with a balcony overlooking a central courtyard. Some of the inner rooms open onto a central shaft for light and air and are not so desirable. Sea view rooms were available for an extra nightly charge. The location is very central with Sliema's bars, restaurants and shops less than 10 minutes walk away. The hotel is right on the harbour front with fantastic views of Valletta across the harbour. It takes about an hour to walk to Valletta and we did this twice, or you can take a ferry or the bus (15 mins).

There is free wi-fi in the lobby and multi-channel TV in the rooms (although we found only 3 or 4 English language channels including CNN and MGM).

We were surprised to find M&S, BHS and Debenhams stores in Sliema - not what you go to Malta for but good to know about. The Point shopping mall (Malta's largest mall) is about 15 minutes walk away.

We would go back to Hotel Kennedy Nova and Sliema. Good value for what we paid too.

Room Tip: Buy a 7 day bus pass for 12 Euro - it gives unlimited travel all over the main island (but not Gozo...
1  Thank paulhird

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your feedback with regards to your recent stay with us.

Prior to place your next booking kindly contact us on sales@kennedynova.com

We look forward to welcome you once again at our Hotel.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

This hotel is in an excellent location in Sliema, just a short bus ride away from Valletta.The hotel is kept very clean by hard working chambermaids,and also I found the reception staff to be pleasant and helpful.I shall definitely be returning,- my only gripe was the tv- no BBC1 BBC2 or ITV.I stayed in another 4star in Malta last year where all channels were available.At the moment the Kennedy is behind the sat tv times compared to other hotels.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelKennedyNova, Manager at Hotel Kennedy Nova, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Dear Guest,

We thank you for your positive feedback with regards to your recent stay with us.

Before placing your next booking with us kindly contact us on sales@kennedynova.com

We look forward to welcome you again at our Hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Il Gzira
Park Hotel
Park Hotel
#26 of 28 in Sliema
Bayview Hotel & Apartments

Been to Hotel Kennedy Nova? Share your experiences!