“Subtract 1 star from all ratings”
Review of Hotel Kennedy Nova

Hotel Kennedy Nova
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Il Gzira
Dublin, Ireland
“Subtract 1 star from all ratings”
Reviewed August 3, 2011

That was what I was told before going to Malta. I booked a marina view double room for 10 nights in the middle of july.
The location of the hotel is execellent, buses and tours close by.
Room size was adequate, balcony gives that extra bit of space.
The room was cleaned every morning to a high standard, with towels and bed linen changed every day.
Every member of staff was polite and very friendly (a credit to the hotel) I found the Quote " Rude english woman " to be very, very friendly. My thanks to Charlie, Aggie and James, who work up on the terrace. My thanks also to David and Jackie on reception.
The highlight for me was the rooftop terrace, with pool, sunloungers and restaurant. The food was of good quality, plenty and cheap. Did not make breakfast any day (too hot for me) and never got a chance to eat in main restaurant.
I never encountered any problems. Had the misfortune to drop my I pod on to the balcony below me at 2 in the morning. I informed the night personnal and the next day it was in my room when I got back from sight seeing.
On the downside, I met chap staying in a single room who had been sleeping on a couch for 4 nights!!!!!
My stay there was thoughly enjoyable. I would stay again without hesitation.

Room Tip: Get a sea-view room. The view is amazing, even if just to watch the locals at night.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank hrpeters852
KennedyMalta, Owner at Hotel Kennedy Nova, responded to this review, September 22, 2011
Thank you for your comments in relation to our Hotel. We take pride in ensuring guest satisfaction both from the accommodation side and service that we offer.
We would like to point out regarding the comment in relation to the star rating that in Malta the star rating is very different from that overseas however we can assure you that we are a fully regulated 4 star Hotel.
We do pride ourselves of our Seaviews and the roof top Terrace due to the spectacular views it displays of the Harbour and the Sea and we are very pleased to hear that you have had a wonderful experience when staying with us.
The Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Polish first
Belgrade, Serbia
Reviewed July 31, 2011

I am just saying that it came out fine having in mind how it started..
We booked the hotel through airmaltaholidays.com for half the price, B&B basis. First night we came in hotel they said they had no room for us and so we were sent to a next door hotel for a night, but did get an upgrade to a sea view. This is why I did not mind:-)
We got a nice room with a great harbor view, just our air condition wasn't working. After they fixed it, everything was ok.
Except a receptionist forgot to give u8s a wake-up call on our last day, but I was already awake, so it didn't really matter..

So, good location- close to everything but yet quiet, fine breakfast, great view, kind personnel - I did like my stay and would come back again.
Oh, and restaurant and pool on the roof were really lovely!

Room Tip: If you can afford get a sea view room on upper floor - it's really relaxing to chill out after a...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank mimmica
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Have stayed here many times in the past though now I stay with friends when in Malta. In July was here with a group of 64 - a band. Nothing fazed the staff, from a busy check in to instrument storage to special diets to borrowing tools from the handyman or an iron and board for uniforms. Some may say that the frontage is not modern or that the rooms are a bit dated, but generally they were clean and well tended and any problems were addressed immediately.
Breakfasts were more than adequate and meals on the roof terrace during the day were huge and good value. The small roof top pool and terrace were well patronised!
On the plus side, this hotel scored for its location - buses outside, walking distance (along the promenade) to plenty of bars and cafes and a view of Vallettta from the roof which is priceless. As a plus too the staff were friendly and helpful at all times - even turning in to give us a basic early breakfast at 04.45 on the morning of departure! - and it can't be a bad place if many of the staff have been there for years and greet you like old friends.
Verdict, ideal for location, access to buses, friendly staff

Room Tip: Some rooms have "balconies" which look into light wells. Not for sitting on!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 27, 2011

My husband and I stayed here earlier this month with a group of 45 musicians. We pretty much took over the hotel. Here's a summary.

Good points:
Excellent location - lots of shops, restuarants, bus stops, tour options very close by.
Within walking distance of the ferry to Valleta (lots of steps on the Valleta side) ok though.
Friendly helpful staff - always with a smile and we had many strange requests.
Lovely bar / restaurant on the roof with gorgeous views of Valleta
Nice communial areas. Two computers for internet use in Reception. Wi-fi in Reception and in the roof bar area.
Very nice food at a reasonable price on the roof bar terrace.
Very comfy bed and slept really well every night.

Bad points:
A wide range of rooms with varying degrees of windows. A few with sea view but many open into a central atrium. Some have very little view at all. Ask when you check in if that is important to you.
The air conditioning in the rooms could do with an upgrade ... re-circulates the air rather than cooling it.
Breakfast: average.

Having stayed here twice before we opted to pay the extra for a Sea View. While having a great view and enjoying waking up to see boat in the harbour, these rooms are small (probably smaller than some of the others). Only a shower - no bath. And you are paying a premium for it.

All in all .... an OK place to stay if you don't pay too much for it. I'd give it 7 / 10
Couldn't fault the staff.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Dawn on holiday
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Dirty, out of date rooms and tasteless breakfast. The bathroom was the grubbiest that I have every seen with a broken bathtub. The bed must have been at least 50 years old with an equally awful mattress and sheets that I would have not given my dog to sleep on. The room's "terrace" was looking over to another wall and it was within reach. I gave it one for cleanliness, but this is not because the cleaners are not cleaning. They are, but these rooms are such an old style, dark holes that nothing can help make them more bearable. I have no idea who gave this hotel a 4 star rating to put on the wall, but I would gave it one star, maybe on a good day, two. The only good I can say about it is that the receptionists were kind and helpful. Run as far as you can from this hotel!

Room Tip: I don't think there is any good rooms in this hotel.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Il Gzira hotels

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Came to Malta for a wedding and stayed in this hotel for a week on B/B basis. First room we were allocated was what they call an inside room. As we were told it had a balcony, we assumed we could see out but found the room to be small for 2 people and the only thing we could see from the balcony was a wall and if we looked up, we could see the sky. We told the Reception we were not happy with the room and they moved us the next day. This room was slightly better. Definitely not a 4 or 3 star hotel. Rooms need to be updated.

My particular complaint is about the day we were going to a wedding in Valetta.l We booked a taxi from Reception about an hour before our intended departure and were asked to pay €20. The taxi was booked for 1300 as we were meeting the rest of the party at 1330. We waited and waited. We apprached Reception and made further enquiries and they said taxi was delayed. At 1340 as it still had not arrived, we flagged down a taxi on street and told the Receptionist that we were cancelling the first taxi. We were late for meeting with rest of the party and had to find the Church ourselves. We also paid a further €20.

The next day we contacted our Rep with Mercury Travel and he spoke to the Receptionist about getting our money back. They said they would speak to the Manager about it and for us to come back to her the next day. We asked about our money a number of times during the week but was always told the manager was not available. On the day we were leaving, it was still not resolved but we were told the taxi Co. were paid. This we found incredible as they did not do the job they were being paid for.

So the moral of the story is don't book taxi from hotel as the taxi firm are unreliable and I feel the Hotel let the tourist down.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank joan_dempsey
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed July 24, 2011

We stayed at Kennedy Nova in July for a week and booked a sea view room with small balcony, which was well worth of some extra money. Lovely harbour views! Despite its waterfront position we couldn´t hear any traffic noise whatsoever at night. The room was average size and had quite traditional decoration - just nice, simple and clean basic room with a bath, aircon, safety box, old cable TV and a small fridge. Nothing that special about it except the sea view. We also enjoyed the breakfast, no complaints about it. There´s a nice small pool area and a bar terrace on the roof top again with great views. It´s true that the hotel could do some refurbishment but for us it was OK and offered just what we had expected for. There are many shops and restaurants nearby including Malta´s biggest shopping mall The Tigne Point and it´s easy to reach by bus or ferrie from Valletta. If you´re looking for a bit more luxiourus hotel than the average one, well then this is definately not the choice for you. In my opinion the Kennedy Nova Hotel is nice, basic 3 star hotel and I´ll give a ´+´ to the sea view room.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
#26 of 28 in Sliema
Preluna Hotel & Spa
Preluna Hotel & Spa
#7 of 28 in Sliema

Been to Hotel Kennedy Nova? Share your experiences!