“peaceful with beautiful views”
Review of Hotel Guanamar

Hotel Guanamar
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Playa Carrillo
Martinsville, New Jersey
“peaceful with beautiful views”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

we had an ok couple of rooms, connecting door.... nothing fancy...however we didn't spend much time in them.....we only had the breakfast included in the room, had lunch and dinner on the road.. and just came to sleep. They have new rooms too. There is so many beautiful beaches at short driving distance. Carrillo which is the beach in front of the hotel is amazing...completely undeveloped, the owners don't want to sell small peaces of land...they want to sell it all!!!! we found out from the lady that sells snow cones!!!! Dona Carmen!!! she owns 100 acres....rides her four wheeler everyday down the mountain to sell snow cones... what a live!!!! so it is a simple, clean place with amazing views worth the $...

Room Tip: I will not choose a room with a view, unless you are planning on staying in your room for long perio...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank lilliam e
HotelGuanamarCR, Departamento de Reservaciones at Hotel Guanamar, responded to this review, May 22, 2014

Warms to Costa Rica

thanks for your comment !!
We are working to improve .

Best Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Oslo
Reviewed April 17, 2014

At first I thought the price was OK having only seen the outside. When entering the room, I was not impressed at all. The place was terribly worn. THe curtains hardly moved when trying to pull them appart. The bed is the worst I have ever seen in a $100 room... it was extremely worn.
The sheets had terrible stains on them.
The aircondition must be from the 70's and bathroom... oouff..
The paint was flaking and well.. the place is really falling appart.
Some say location, location, location... yeah, the views are awesome, but rooms terrible.
The place has tremendous potential if someone just comes and refurbish EVERYTHING in the rooms.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Traveling_Vahine
Hello Dear Guest !

Thanks for the comment.
We are working to improve the rooms.
soon will see new changes !!!!

Will be pleasure to have you back

Travelers are raving about these Playa Carrillo hotels

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 8, 2014

We stayed at the Guanamar two years ago and found it acceptable. The views are incredible... and that's it. This time, our experience was the worst. The place is falling apart. The owners don't know whether to close it down or just let it fall apart on its own. We had made reservations for 11 days, but within the first 36 hours, we had to move four times! First room, shower dribbled and toilet would not flush. Second room, neither the front door or French doors to the balcony would lock. Third room, the bathroom sink was missing! Really! And the AC put out only hot air. They showed us a fourth room, very badly designed with dangerous stairs to the bathroom and I am disabled. We said three strikes you're out and we left, but they would not refund our money and we are still hassling with their lying corporate headquarters in San Jose and three times we called or emailed, always being promised an email to confirm we would get a refund, but they just shined us on. Hey... those ticks working there are all very nice people, but management and rooms were horrible, horrible, horrible. Caveat emptor! So many other hotels to choose from with equally nice views.

Room Tip: I read the reviews of those that give this place high marks and think 'what? Am I crazy or are t...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Philp

Warms to Costa Rica.

we are very sorry for yours disagreements , we are working on remodeling the hotel.

Sorry again.

Hotel Guanamar.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I had no clue where I was going or what I'd be doing once I got there'. Well to my surprise, after an interesting drive from Arenal, I was delightfully surprised. There was confusion with my reservation, but easily rectified. I was given an ocean view room, which was simple, cool, clean huge and had the most spectacular view - morning and night.

When I was there, first week of August 2013, there were very few people in the hotel. I was told it was under new management, and all the staff were amazing! I was nervous at first as the locks/security was minimal, but I truly never worried while there. They took good care of me and looked after the solo female traveler.

One of the receptionist helped set up a few tours for me and each were really good. I loved the horseback riding, which I went with the receptionist and she translated for everyone. While in that adventure I met a couple from Denver and we are still friends. I went zip-lining was with a company called WingNuts - it is a small family run business. Our guide took care of the youngest in the group, 5 year old, amazingly. The kayaking was lovely.

It is a simple drive to Samara and well worth the off the beaten path! The photographs I got were incredible. Take the chance and you'll be delighted you did. No frills, except the views.

Room Tip: Huge rooms, lots of space, lovely deck, the a/c worked well. Was initially concerned about safety, b...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank malane1
HotelGuanamarCR, Director de Recepción at Hotel Guanamar, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Hello Marlene

Thansks for your comments

It was a pleasure to assist you

i remenber you in the horseback riding !! i was a great tour

Natalie.
Atlanta
Reviewed March 29, 2014

The only reason I went to Hotel Guanamar was because I read somewhere that although this hotel has lost its luster, it had amazing views of the sunset and the bar overlooked the ocean. I'm a sucker for a view, so I went. Wow and wow! Yes, these views were amazing. Quite possibly the best photos I got of my entire trip to Costa Rica. The outdoor bar overlooks the pool, which overlooks the ocean. The sunset views really were stunning. We stayed in Samara, but the drive is only about 10-15 minutes and so worth this view (the mohito wasn't bad, either). Not to mention, you drive right by the oh so lovely Carillo beach on the way to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LTKING
HotelGuanamarCR, Departamento de Reservaciones at Hotel Guanamar, responded to this review, June 2, 2014

Good afternoon.

Thanks for your comments

We are working in remodeling rooms
so you are welcome and we have great discount for you.

New York City, New York
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Guanamar is pretty great as long as you set your expectations right. Its not an all inclusive resort by any means, and its important to remember that. The grounds are large, clean and absolutely stunning. The way to the beach is a bit rough, but worth it as the beach there isn't crowded and is raw, gorgeous and memorable.

Upon our arrival the hotel manager seemed flustered and didn't have the room keys so the check in took a while. The room was also missing soap and shampoo which they noted and brought right away. The room was not the cleanest as it's pretty old and outdated and needed painting and dusting behind furniture. But the bathroom was spotless, the rooms were huge and the beds comfy. This place just needs major TLC from inside the rooms and some conveniences added like transport to Samara, vending machines and etc. Some of the rooms also share an interior door and if your neighbors are noisy, you might hear them. We didn't however!

The grounds are incredible and vast. The restaurant had great service and tasty food. The happy hr drinks are actually pretty great and cheap, which is nice as otherwise the food is not included and can be pricey. The pool is a good side and has an amazing view of the ocean with the most incredible sunsets.

Because of the location of the hotel its hard to get to Samara the amazing beach town and the cab will cost you $10 each way but its worth is as besides taking tours, there is not much to do at the hotel itself. Though night-time swimming was amazing. Up the road to the right also has some awesome restaurants but Samara is definitely far to walk. Overall, the place is stunning, quiet and relaxing.

Room Tip: They let you switch rooms so if you want something closer to the ocean, just ask! Also, make sure to...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lana V
Dear Lana

Thanks for your comments and your ideas

Baldwinsville
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Stayed in ocean view room. The room had a large balcony that faced the bay and had spectacular view of the sunset. The room was large but basic. A/C worked well and cooled room quickly. The screens didn't keep the mosquitos out. Recommendation would be a mosquito net for the bed or new screens on the windows. The pool also had a great view of the bay and felt great after a hot day. Breakfast was included and was very satisfying, did not leave hungry. My only complaint was the wrist bands that we were required to wear. We would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Thanks for your comments

For Guamanar Hotel will be a pleasure to assist you again . We offer you a discount and you see the new changes in the rooms.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Carrillo
#3 of 7 in Playa Carrillo
Hotel Peace & Lodge
Hotel Peace & Lodge
#2 of 7 in Playa Carrillo

Been to Hotel Guanamar? Share your experiences!