“Great view from a so-so room”
Review of Hotel Guanamar

Hotel Guanamar
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Playa Carrillo
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is perched in the best spot in all of Carrillo for sunset viewing. The pool, restaurant, and ocean view rooms were money on their views of the bay. The pool was fantastic. The restaurant food was average and certainly the most expensive I've encountered so far in costa rica. There are a few options for food outside of the hotel so no worries there.

I stayed in an ocean view room. It was sparsely decorated, reminding me of how the non-secured hotels looked in New Orleans a few months post-Katrina. They were open but you sense something just isn't right upon entering the room. I couldn't imagine paying high season rates at this hotel. There isn't much to do at the hotel or in Carrillo to warrant paying more.

• Stayed: October 2012
There are newer reviews for Hotel Guanamar

Reviewed September 23, 2012

My family and I enjoyed staying at the hotel. We spent two nights at Bay Front and we do recommend to reserve a room at Ocean View just to get the beautiful view of the ocean that the hotel has to offer.
The pool and the restaurant is awesome and the staff is very nice and friendly. Carrillo beach is a beautiful clean beach which is a short walking distance from the hotel. We really hope to go back there some day soon!

Room Tip: Ocean View rooms have better views.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I had asked for the nicest hotel in Carrillo and the taxi driver brought me here. The hotel has the appearance of luxury at first, but upon a closer look, it is really a dump. The rooms have an absolutely incredible view, but they are not very clean and in disrepair. The AC was very loud and kept turning off and on all night waking me up. The staff were totally UNhelpful. The kicker was that after spending the night I woke up with bug bites all over my feet arms. Mind you, I slept with long pants and a jacket, with the covers on. I believe there was some kind of biting insects in the bed/mattress. When I informed the front desk that this had happened, the receptionist gave me a dirty look like I was crazy and told me that "we have never had this problem here". If you want to go to this place, go to the bar for a drink during sunset. Don't stay overnight.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank MarieM M
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Stayed for a week ocean view room 120. Great timing I hear its during the indian summer and noone was at the hotel, pool or beach and it was sunny. Staff was helpful and nice. Everything at the hotel is rundown, old and not cleanist (shower) but for the price the room was spacious and had a great view. Paid $67 for oceanview through Hotels.com. There were people that would just come for the sunset and then leave. Air conditioner was very loud. Had some small ants on the bathroom counter (they gave us ant spray) and the shower water did back up. Trek up to the pool/restaurant using the stairs is not for elderly. Food was very good. I would go back to this hotel.

Note:
- Sunset is at 6:15 pm and sunrise is at 5ish am. So the monkeys, birds will wake you up at 5-5:30 am. Breakfast is not unit 7:30 am.
- If you need to charge a laptop the only three-pronged electrical sockets are on the back side of the resteraunt and the office in the lobby. No Wi-Fi at the pool I found the best reception at the back side of the resteraunt were the electrical socket to charge my laptop.
- Bring bug spray, the mosquitos were merciless.
- If you are going on a tour and getting picked up before 7 am, tell the lobby and they will have security open the gates.
- There is a room safe but you have to pay each day for it.
- There is crocodille (12ft) by the first bridge that stays on the river side so if you are walking to Carrillo beach, just stay on the road. Actually I wouldn't go in the woods or brush. I wash told there are scorpions, corral snake, vipers, etc...
-There is a coffee maker in the room but you have to ask for the coffee packet at the lobby
- The road that hotel is on if you keep going up the road, there is a small store with with drinks, snacks, shampoo, etc...

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Daniela42
Reviewed June 17, 2012

We stayed at hotel guanamar for 8 days with 3 adults and 1 child. We stayed in 2 rooms, 125/126. The view was beautiful. Internet access was only available from the restaurant & bar area, not the pool area or rooms. Overall it was a very nice experience. We saw a lot of wildlife in the area, iguanas, garrobos, crabs, and howler monkeys. The reception staff was extremely helpful with tour planning, we went snorkeling, kayaking, dolphin watching, went to see the turtles, and went for a zip line/canopy tour. They were all pleasant, I would highly recommend the snorkeling & zip line/canopy tour. All were family friendly. The stair trek from the hotel rooms to the pool/restaurant is not for the faint of hearts, but if you are fit, it's fine. I would recommend a car if you want to go beyond the hotel. The hike to the beach is very hilly, but the beach is quite nice. There is a store very close to stock up on snacks and drinks. No fridge in the room or easy access to ice. Bring a cooler. The rooms were clean and very spacious. The a/c worked great. We would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 7, 2012

My sister, a friend and I visited the hotel during easter and we were expecting something different for what we paid. When we first saw the room, we noticed sheets had a stain, we called the front desk and they said someone will come to chance them. I had to call next morning because nobody came when I called the first time. In several times we noticed restaurant napkins and glasses were dirty. During lunch I found a hair was on the fish I was eating.

If you have a room + 3 meal package, don't stay for more than 2 nights. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are not buffet and there are just a few options in the already set menu; therefore, you will get bored pretty soon.

Rooms really need renovation!!!!! It seems that they were built in the late 80's or early 90's (tv is small and very far from bed; tile, bathroom fixtures, curtains, shower doors, lamps and specially the air conditioning prove it). A little investment in rooms wouldn't be bad.

On the other hand, the view from our room deck was breath taking and hotel personnel were so nice to us. Common areas (pool, restaurant, bar) are ok.

Room Tip: ask for the 120's rooms
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank FarrahCast
HotelGuanamar, Director of Sales at Hotel Guanamar, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2012

Dear FarrahCast,

We apologize your experience. The maids reviewed the sheets and had no stain. For lunch and dinner, usually we served a la carte for further customization, and we have 8 first courses, 13 main course choices and 3 dessert options. We miss the problem that you had with the plates and napkins, however, I promise to do an inspection and review their valuable comments.

Reviewed March 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Guanamar for three nights. We stayed in an ocean view room which had the most amazing view of the yacht basin of Playa Carrillo. The service in the bar is impeccable. Luis, the concierge of the bar and restaurant is a very talented man. Every business owner of a service related industry should send their staff for training here to see a master at work. He attends to your every need and has an upbeat, positive attitude. Alan, his team mate, works equally as hard and shares the same work ethic.
The hotel pool is great for kids and adults alike. The beach of Playa Carrillo is a short walk from the hotel. The beach is quiet, pristine and the water is warm.
I would highly recommend a stay here in the ocean view room numbers 124 or 123. This hotel is Playa Carrillo's best kept secret!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 16 in Playa Samara
Hotel Peace & Lodge
Hotel Peace & Lodge
#2 of 7 in Playa Carrillo

Been to Hotel Guanamar? Share your experiences!