“Perfect Relaxing spot”
Review of El Sueno Tropical

El Sueno Tropical
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Playa Carrillo
Reviewed November 27, 2013

It looks like I happened upon this place right as the new owners are getting settled in. I stayed there a total of 4 nights and had nothing but a much needed relaxing time away from the hustle and bustle. It's clear these dudes care about each person all the way down to specific meal requests and damn good food! I recommend this place to anyone looking to really enjoy Costa Rica's peace and quiet.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank allngdfn
JosefromCostaRica, Owner at El Sueno Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2013

hey will

your experience with the horse and surfboard will be a classic by-the-bar story for a long time, and your tornup jeans will hang on the beam as a reminder. we are thinking of naming the bar the gringo's pants

you were our first guest as new owners, what a start! picking you up on the road, as u struggled with the horse, board and pack was a stroke of luck for both, i was able to give you some food, beer and shelter for a few days as you regrouped, and i have a great story to tell, and as i waved goodbye to you, on your new motorcycle with surfboard attached, i thought, what adventures lie in your path as you bike your way back to colorado

stay in touch,

jose

Reviewed September 13, 2013

We booked this hotel for our May honeymoon, and I was definitely disappointed. I wouldn't even stay the night once the owner showed us to our room. The grounds are pretty, but they needed some upkeep. The casitas are in need of updating as well. The a/c barely worked. The room was clean, but there were no decorations on the wall: just two beds, a side table, and a small TV. I couldn't get the WiFi to work in the room. The website was very misleading about the place. The only people there were the owners, their daughter, and her kids. Although it was the green season, we weren't expecting to be the only people at the place. The small amount of time I was there I just felt like we were in their way.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
estcr, Owner at El Sueno Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

This person states that they would not spend the night in the hotel but they did. They also did not voice any concerns about the hotel, grounds, lack of decorations in the room, WiFi or A/C problem to me. They ate in our restaurant and I spoke to them and at not time did I hear these concerns. We provide clean well kept rooms for a very reasonable price. Our grounds are beautiful and well kept. We do however live in a jungle and we cannot instantly pick up every leave, vine or coconut that may fall to the ground.

Vinnie Greaves

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Had a great stay with Vinny, Zeyda, Mel and the family. Made us feel right at home. Zeyda is a wonderful cook and the ceviche was great. great eating area a comfortable bed. My second stay and already looking forward to the next stay. Vinny can help with fishing trips and entertainment arrangements. Had an incredible fishing trip earlier in the year, out of Carillo! Go see them! Good value!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stayed at El Sueno Tropical in July 2013, during the rainy season. The hotel (a collection of rooms and cabanas spread over a large garden area) was mostly empty. Our room was fairly large, with two double beds, but quite unremarkable and fairly old (particularly the bathroom). The air conditioning unit was struggling to keep the room acceptably cool and despite multiple requests and multiple promises no reliable WIFI signal ever reached our bedroom (WIFI was accessible from the restaurant / breakfast area). Overall a very average experience – at best. Much nicer options are available in Samara, just around the corner (such as Hotel Samara Paraiso).

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
JosefromCostaRica, Owner at El Sueno Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2013

hi

we are the new owners, and we have totally redone the hotel, amazing what paint, upgrading and lots of tlc can do, we have a new website, new menu, and totally new administration, staff, etc

hope you give us another chance

cheers,

jose

Reviewed August 5, 2013

My husband and I went for our honeymoon, and had a fantastic experience! The owner and staff were very friendly and helpful in giving advice on where to go and what to see. They were genuine, funny, and really enhanced our stay. We were there during the "transitional season" which is when the weather is going from the wet season to dry, so the hotel was not booked to maximum capacity and this allowed us to spend a lot of time with them.

The second day we were in Costa Rica, my camera was stolen out of my car at Playa Carilla beach, so I would definitely recommend making sure your car is locked if you go there. It was uncharacteristic of the beach though (that could happen anywhere back in the US), and I would highly recommend going there still! It was absolutely gorgeous! We talked to the owner and he suggested filing a police report and even had his wife and granddaughter go with us to help translate.

Other than that, our trip was amazing: we zip-lined in the jungle, learned how to surf, bought some great souvenirs in the next town over (Samara), went sight-seeing, relaxed at the hotel and pool, went on a boat tour where we got to fish, see dolphins, sea turtles and snorkel, made new friends with the hotel staff, other locals, and some of the other guests. On the boat tour that the owner set us up with, they even let us take home the mahi that we caught and the hotel grilled it for us and served it with traditional Costa Rican sides. All the food we had at the restaurant was excellent, and we loved hanging out at the bar at night having some drinks and talking with the locals and other guests that were there.

The rooms weren't fancy, but they were comfortable, cool and clean. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful though, and there is so much to see and do in the area that we didn't want to spend all day in our rooms anyways!!

It was a great time, and if we ever get to go back to Costa Rica, we will be sure to spend some time at El Sueno again!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I found this hotel through a groupon- I booked the hotel for dates in July. I never received a confirmation email or a receipt from the hotel stating that my dates were booked. Upon requesting a confirmation I received an email stating that the dates were OK.

When I arrived to El Sueno Tropical in Costa Rica I was extremely disappointed that the hotel did not look or feel like what was advertised on the Groupon and the hotel website. To start off, when I arrived I was not offered any help me with my bags. Vinny (the owner) was seated in the “reception” area. He did not seem to have a room assigned for us. He grabbed a key and when we got to that room someone’s stuff was in there so he went to get a different key for another room. I found this to be very unprofessional.

When we got to the room we were very disappointed with the upkeep of the room. The bathroom smelled. The TV barely worked because you could not see the picture clearly. There wasn’t a phone in the room and apparently no wifi. The hotel seemed deserted we only saw one other family there. The pool area was not well kept. The water was dirty and did not look inviting like in the pictures. The restaurant and bar was completely deserted as well.

We felt really strange in this hotel. We stayed in two other hotels in Costa Rica prior to this one. This was by far the worst of the three. We were very upset because this was the end of a wonderful vacation we had been planning for months. We were looking to relax and enjoy the beach but instead we felt very uncomfortable. As a result we decided to leave the hotel luckily we had enough money left to go to another hotel.

Do yourself a favor and do not book this hotel. There a lot of options right no Samara beach. We stayed at Samara Treehouse and were very satisfied with our experience there.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Yeli411
estcr, Owner at El Sueno Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

I am a loss as to how this review could have been written. I was called by this party a week or so earlier and they asked to change dates as they had decided to change their itinerary. We accommodated them with the change and sent an email confirming the change. The couple arrived by van. The room I had assigned to them had not been cleaned due to a late checkout. I put them in another room and spoke with them about tours. They were only in the room for about 15 minutes and wanted to go to the beach. They asked about the bus schedule and I gave it to them. They went down to catch the bus and returned after 20 or so minutes. I as they had missed the 4:30pm bus. They wanted to go into town and asked me to call them a cab. I didn't want them to waste money on a cab so I gave them a ride into Samara. They returned about an hour and a half later and said " We are sorry and it is no offense to you and everything was fine but, we just want to stay on the beach. We found a hotel in Samara that is right on the beach." I asked what they wanted to do about the Groupon. They said it wasn't important and they didn't want any money back. In the Groupon they had a $130 tour credit. I told them that I would be happy to pay for their tour and he said he would be in contact.
Our pool is crystal clear and always is, the pool area may have had pool toys around as we were in the midst of vacation time for the schools here in Costa Rica and had been full for those 2 weeks. The rooms do have WiFi. We do not have phones in our rooms and do not represent that we do.
I apologize if I did not ask the customer if they needed help with their bags. I do find it strange that it was not mentioned that they were given a ride into Samara at no expense to them. It is also interesting that they did not voice any complaints at the time except to say that they wanted to be on the beach. The couple spent not more than 30 minutes total on the property. We were full except for 2 rooms when they arrived and filled the one remaining room that night. Had they not had a reservation, we would have filled there room that night also.

Vinnie Greaves

Reviewed July 3, 2013

There were ten in our group so we had four rooms total. Very accommodating at switching our room when a family of ants decided to move in.
Vinny and all were so pleasant and willing to grant any request down to making chicken soup for a member if our group that had food poisoning when we arrived. Food was great however all made fresh from scratch in the kitchen by a single cook. Order the food but be patient on when it arrives. Just plan accordingly.
The bus is convenient to get to the beach and Samara but the schedule is more of a suggestion than a rule. Tell the driver when you get on the bus if you are only going to Carrillo and not all the way to Samara as it will cost you fewer collones.
If you want the slower, no schedule hideaway this is the spot. I would come back here in a minute.

• Stayed: June 2013
#6 of 7 in Playa Carrillo
Jungles Edge
Jungles Edge
#6 of 24 in Nosara

Been to El Sueno Tropical? Share your experiences!