“Absolutely charming and unique place”

La Tropicale Beach Lodge
Reviewed February 14, 2014

We only spend one night, and wish we could have stayed longer. Arnaud, the owner, is greatly devoted, creative, and determined to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. The room is inventively decorated. We had a private balcony, kitchenette, very comfortable baldaquin beds, all set in a lovely decor. There is even a light show by the pool in the evening! There was indeed a humidity smell in our room, which could bother some more sensitive people, but it didn't prevent us from having a great stay. Arnaud is also a wonderful chef and a great entertainer. We highly recommend this place!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Fredlallo
There are newer reviews for La Tropicale Beach Lodge

Reviewed February 14, 2014

We spent 17 days at this funky,fun and very cool place we are two gringos in our 60's and absolutely loved it. The staff and Owner, Arno made us feel like family and were so accommodating . Arno is a great chef and cook us dinner a couple of times at our request. Fresh fish right down the road. The beach is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. We liked our stay here so much we extended our stay by 10 days. We met really wonderful people and became friends with them. We live in So. Colorado and May move here. Dixie and Grizz

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dixie W
arnoPlayaCarrillo, Propriétaire at La Tropicale Beach Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

Hello thank you
Your are family now and can t wait to see you again
Bigs kisses and hugs
Arno

Reviewed February 6, 2014

We are not there yet we will be myself and Husband and my parents,,,,,I already am in love with the place and the fantastic reply and email and help from the owners. I have to laugh at people when they complain about nothing.....I read the "bad" reviews and laughed then felt pity for their miserable lives they lead if they complain about NOTHING!! If you want 5 star and frills stick to it and pay for it, this seems to be a place to experience REAL COSTA RICA!!! I suggest the " Princesses" out there to stay in their castles and let us "real fun people" enjoy the worlds beauty!( I have experienced you bunch about Cuba as well) When you are about to write up a bad review should stick to...Ohh dangerous place or got sick from the food...no??? I will not let a bunch of pampered travellers divert my plans to visit this beautiful place that I know I will fall in love with and so will my family... Hey I have a toddler too but she is staying home and when she is old enough to appreciate a place like this I will bring her for now she can go to DISNEY!!! Can't wait to meet you Arno and your pets.. Kisses, Bisous, Mucho Bessos !!!Thank you again for allowing us to stay there.. Merci, Much Gracias!!!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Angie A
Reviewed January 25, 2014

My husband and I had the good fortune of staying here for two weeks over Christmas and New Years, and we were enamoured with the surroundings, accommodation and staff. Our cabin was small but we had everything we needed; open kitchen, bedroom (the bed was very comfortable), and bathroom with shower. The garden was full of vegetation with quaint gravel walkways to each cabin. The wildlife and fauna were amazing! This is not The Ritz and if you are expecting to be pampered and catered to, this is not the place for you. Arno and his staff are very friendly and helpful. The rooms were cleaned daily and breakfast was always fresh.
The beach is second to none! It's worth going for a rip to Samara to Princessa bakery for some of Joni's fresh goodies! This is a live and let live atmosphere, you will always find fault if you are looking for it. Don't sweat the small stuff...and it's all small stuff! We will definitely stay there again when we return to Costa Rica. Thanks Arno and Allen for everything, you guys are awesome! PS...just to comment on petra n's review....We gotta side with Arno on this one, we were there and know exactly what was going on! Someone forgot to put their big boy pants on !!!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Karen W
Reviewed January 24, 2014

First of all, let me say that my husband and I have travelled extensively. We've done everything from All-Inclusives to Africa. When reviewing a hotel, you have to compare apples with apples. La Tropicale is not your typical bed and breakfast. If you are looking for non-traditional hotel lodging and you really want to live how the locals live in nature, this is perfect. If you want to stay in a traditional hotel with fluffy linen, tanks and tanks of hot water and zero bugs, you should look elsewhere.

The good stuff: Location is amazing, about 250m (according to our GPS) to playa Carillo, the absolute most beautiful beach in Costa Rica. We would still go there by car (we have 2 toddlers, so, we lug around a lot of stuff and would often get lunch in Samara) but less than a 5 minute down a gravel road. The staff and other residents (parrots, cats, dogs and early morning monkeys) are super fun to be with, they were all very nice. It's easy to see that Arnaud, the owner, likes to meet new people and chat! Emailed him twice before our trip and answered very rapidly. Even got a brand new bed and stroller for my almost 2 year old! As well as some beach toys for both our kids. Very considerate. In the evening, he would lend us the food we were missing (olive oil, salt/pepper, ketchup, etc). He was often there to greet us when we got back from our day away. Basic breakfast is included (bread, fresh fruits, cereals, milk and juice) and we would bring our own extras. The bungalow itself has a fully equipped kitchen and 2 rooms with queen sized beds on the second floor. Everything is in working order (but not as powerful as we are used too… but that's part of the experience). The maid comes in everyday to tidy up and makes the bed. Everything is very lush - coconut trees, palm trees, flowers.. it's like you're really in a tropical forest.

The "bad": The stairway has no rail, and pretty much separates both rooms, so you have to be careful stepping out of a room to not fall. We got used to it (even with a 2 year old) but I can understand why some people might have issues with that. Some things need to be fixed - broken glass in the patio door, some holes in the wall, a live wire in the kitchen, etc… so that's pretty much why I'm giving it a 4 star. The bungalow just needs a bit of TLC, but it didn't ruin our stay there at all.

Again, this is not a 5 star hotel, and one shouldn't expect that coming in. It's not full of maids cleaning up after you, a full time gardener making everything prim or proper or concierge service to please your every whim. So, given the type of accommodations this is, it's perfect for a getaway off the beaten path. However, as I said before, some things should be fixed so that all the little things that might be small annoyances overshadow the experience of La Tropicale.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank workhardtravellots
Reviewed January 15, 2014

We stayed at La Tropicale in for 3 nights in December and it was the worst accommodation by far in our 3 weeks stay in Costa Rica. There are some positives about this place, the garden is lovely and the 2 parrots were great fun. Despite this, I would never recommend this place to anybody. When we arrived in the late afternoon there was nobody to be found because the maid was sleeping and the owner and his boyfriend were out enjoying a lunch with friends. The common area was in general pretty dirty, in the mornings you could usually find overflowing ashtrays and leftover food from the owner's dinner from the night before. It seemed to us that the owner is not really into running a B&B but rather finances his lifestyle with the easy money he makes from renting out these huts. The only person who tidies and cleans has no vested interest, it is the maid who lives on the premises. Our "house" had a very funny smell to it, which grossed my out quite a bit. It was indeed nicely furnished with lovely bed linens but these huts are very ramshackle indeed, the wall coverings are simply stapled to a wooden frame, everything is built on the cheap. If you shower at night, all the other guests walking by outside will see you in your full nude glory, as there is only a see-through plastic screen towards the outside. A 3 inch caterpillar came walking out of the uncovered shower drain one morning… Also, there was no lock on our door as we arrived, we were told not to worry "as nothing every gets stolen here" (it didn't and the lock was replaced the next day). We never saw anybody swim in the pools, as they also looked pretty dirty to us. I am very surprised that this place was considered a "top choice" in the latest Lonely Planet in Costa Rica.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank petra n
Reviewed January 5, 2014

La Tropicale was not a great place to stay. The room was filled with old furniture and the structure was so poorly built that the entire thing was tilted. It was a simple room with a lofted area for a bed. The downstairs was dark and didn't have any windows that opened. The shower didn't drain. The upstairs was hot and didn't have screens on the windows. The facilities were similarly poorly kept. The pools were so cloudy that we didn't want to go in. My overall impression was that the owner was trying to offer too many amenities, like fountains and evening laser shows, without keeping up maintenance on the important parts. The owner is very kind and sweet and obviously the hotel appeals to many travelers (see high ratings), but if you're looking for a simple and clean place, look elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Samuel S
arnoPlayaCarrillo, Propriétaire at La Tropicale Beach Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Firstly thank you for your comment that was fast.
You left yesterday and it is already online, it is true that happy people of the tropical do not always put comments but the poison that goes fast .
I will not attempt to answer you in English a friend will do it for me to measure the words in my mother tongue
Everything you declare one thing I know is true and I have to apologize is the quality of pool water
We received a lot of children and with the heat it has nothing arranges water was cloudy
Now for to rest .....
Great thank you that you are nice to me , but I am not your style that reassures me and relieves me ....
The decoration of bamboo in Tikki bungalow is visible on the internet local furniture may not be New York style sorry but the color is on our web page
Who does not like does not come
It is not vintage but tropical .
Single room ?
Yes we do not have the pretention of a 4 star hotel for the price elsewhere 60 usd is not the price of a 4 star
I do not remember paying 60 usd in New York for a room on the ground floor with kitchen, small living room, bathroom, loft, A/C, two sofa and Cable TV.
To fly windows I have not seen you eat mosquito in the morning ( there was little this season)
What insulted me the most is that you think in general the establishment is poorly maintained .
Fountains and laser show I 'm surprised from New York you do not like it
All customers love in the palm effect rocked

thank you my God you do not talk about your romantic dinner . 20usd
Entree dish dessert a glass of wine
It is true than your girlfriend does not like the mahi mahi pate because it was cold.
We do not know but you seemed to like dish and dessert (even in a place not well maintained)
I do not eat in a place that is not maintained
To finish it is sad to spend so much time defending your work especially when you do the maximum
Love it or hate it ( thank you more love than hate it )
Thank you for having granted 1 Star, it would have insulted me more if you grant us 2 or 3.
As my Mom said ,
We can not appeal to everyone , we think giving a maximum for a minimum price is a good thing...
Those who love ( they are many ) good
Those who hate it ( they are few) too bad
For I am relieved to have lost your words has absolutely no goals

Tripadvisor travelers take their decision

Good souvenir of costa rica

Premierement merci de votre commentaire qui a ete rapide.
Vous nous avez quittez hier et c est deja en ligne,il est vrai que les gens content de la tropicale ne mettent pas toujours de commentaires mais pour le poison cela va vite.
Je ne ferai pas effort de vous repondre en anglais une amie le fera pour moi afin de mesure les propos dans ma langue maternelle
De tout ce que vous declarez une seule chose a ma connaissance est vrai et je dois m excuser c est la qualite de l eau de la piscine
Nous avons recu beaucoup d enfants et avec la chaleur cela n a rien arrange l eau etait voilee
Maintenant venant au reste.....
Grand merci que vous me trouvez gentil, mais que je ne sois pas votre style cela me rassure et me soulage....
La decoration des bungalows tikki est en bambou visible sur internet meuble locaux, peut etre pas new york style mais desole la couleur est annoncee dans notre web page
Qui n aime pas ne vient pas
C est pas du vintage mais tropicale.
Chambre simple ?
Eh oui nous n avons pas la pretention d un 4 etoiles d ailleurs le prix 60 usd n est pas le prix d un 4etoiles
Je ne souviens pas avoir payer 60 usd a new york pour une chambre avec au rez de chausse cuisine. Petit salon. Salle de bain et en loft. Chambre ac deux sofa tv cable
Pour la moustiquaire aux fenetres je ne vous ai pas vu mange par les moustiques au petit matin(il y en a peu a cette saison)
Ce qui m insulte le plus est que selon vous en general l etablissement est mal entretenu.
Les fontaines et lasers show je suis surpris que venant de new york vous n aimiez pas cela
Tous les clients adorent dans les palmiers l effet est genial

merci mon Dieu vous ne parlez pas de votre romantique diner. 20Usd
Entree plat dessert un verre de vin
Il est vrai que votr amie n aime pas le pate de mahi mahi c est froid
On ne le savais pas mais vous semblez avoir aimez de plat et le dessert ( meme dans un endroit pas entrenu)
Moi je ne mange pas dans un endroit qui n est pas entretenu
Pour en finir c est bien triste de passer tant de temps a defendre votre travail surtout quand on fait le maximum
On aime ou on deteste ( merci plus adorent que detestent)
Merci de m avoir accorde 1etoiles , m avoir accorde 2ou 3 m aurai beaucoup plus insulte venant de vous
Comment dit Maman ,
On ne peux pas plaire a tout le monde,nous pensons donner le maximum a prix minimum
Ceux qui aiment (ils sont beaucoup ) tant mieux
Ceux qui detestent ( peu) tant pis
Pour moi je suis soulage d avoir perdu a vos propos absolument pas objectifs

Les voyageurs de tripadvisor prendrons leur decision

Bon souovenir du Costa Rica

ARNO
LA TROPICALE Beach Lodge
Playa Carrillo Guanacaste
Costa Rica
+506 26560159
+506 88849471
On top of the beach , last bridge turn left and 200 meters in front zoo la selva we aiting for you
Have a wonderfull trip

#1 of 16 in Playa Samara
Hotel Leyenda
Hotel Leyenda
#1 of 7 in Playa Carrillo

Been to La Tropicale Beach Lodge? Share your experiences!