La Tropicale Guesthouse
Nammbu Beachfront Bungalows(Playa Carrillo)(Great Value!)
$150
$114
Hotel Leyenda(Playa Carrillo)(Great Value!)
$140
$136
Casa Buenavista(Playa Carrillo)
Hotel Esperanza(Playa Carrillo)
TripAdvisor
Cabinas El Colibri(Playa Carrillo)
TripAdvisor
El Sueno Tropical(Playa Carrillo)
Hotel Guanamar(Playa Carrillo)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Hacienda del Mar(Playa Carrillo)
TripAdvisor
Puerto Carrillo Hotel(Playa Carrillo)
All reviewspura vidathe ownercosta ricaother guestspure lifetropical surroundingsnice bungalowsshort walkhot waterthe main houselook no furtheroff the beaten pathstunning beachrooms were very cleanmagical placehowler monkeyspalm trees
Reviewed January 15, 2014

We stayed at La Tropicale in for 3 nights in December and it was the worst accommodation by far in our 3 weeks stay in Costa Rica. There are some positives about this place, the garden is lovely and the 2 parrots were great fun. Despite this, I would never recommend this place to anybody. When we arrived in the late afternoon there was nobody to be found because the maid was sleeping and the owner and his boyfriend were out enjoying a lunch with friends. The common area was in general pretty dirty, in the mornings you could usually find overflowing ashtrays and leftover food from the owner's dinner from the night before. It seemed to us that the owner is not really into running a B&B but rather finances his lifestyle with the easy money he makes from renting out these huts. The only person who tidies and cleans has no vested interest, it is the maid who lives on the premises. Our "house" had a very funny smell to it, which grossed my out quite a bit. It was indeed nicely furnished with lovely bed linens but these huts are very ramshackle indeed, the wall coverings are simply stapled to a wooden frame, everything is built on the cheap. If you shower at night, all the other guests walking by outside will see you in your full nude glory, as there is only a see-through plastic screen towards the outside. A 3 inch caterpillar came walking out of the uncovered shower drain one morning… Also, there was no lock on our door as we arrived, we were told not to worry "as nothing every gets stolen here" (it didn't and the lock was replaced the next day). We never saw anybody swim in the pools, as they also looked pretty dirty to us. I am very surprised that this place was considered a "top choice" in the latest Lonely Planet in Costa Rica.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank petra n
Reviewed January 5, 2014

La Tropicale was not a great place to stay. The room was filled with old furniture and the structure was so poorly built that the entire thing was tilted. It was a simple room with a lofted area for a bed. The downstairs was dark and didn't have any windows that opened. The shower didn't drain. The upstairs was hot and didn't have screens on the windows. The facilities were similarly poorly kept. The pools were so cloudy that we didn't want to go in. My overall impression was that the owner was trying to offer too many amenities, like fountains and evening laser shows, without keeping up maintenance on the important parts. The owner is very kind and sweet and obviously the hotel appeals to many travelers (see high ratings), but if you're looking for a simple and clean place, look elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Samuel S
arnoPlayaCarrillo, Propriétaire at La Tropicale Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Firstly thank you for your comment that was fast.
You left yesterday and it is already online, it is true that happy people of the tropical do not always put comments but the poison that goes fast .
I will not attempt to answer you in English a friend will do it for me to measure the words in my mother tongue
Everything you declare one thing I know is true and I have to apologize is the quality of pool water
We received a lot of children and with the heat it has nothing arranges water was cloudy
Now for to rest .....
Great thank you that you are nice to me , but I am not your style that reassures me and relieves me ....
The decoration of bamboo in Tikki bungalow is visible on the internet local furniture may not be New York style sorry but the color is on our web page
Who does not like does not come
It is not vintage but tropical .
Single room ?
Yes we do not have the pretention of a 4 star hotel for the price elsewhere 60 usd is not the price of a 4 star
I do not remember paying 60 usd in New York for a room on the ground floor with kitchen, small living room, bathroom, loft, A/C, two sofa and Cable TV.
To fly windows I have not seen you eat mosquito in the morning ( there was little this season)
What insulted me the most is that you think in general the establishment is poorly maintained .
Fountains and laser show I 'm surprised from New York you do not like it
All customers love in the palm effect rocked

thank you my God you do not talk about your romantic dinner . 20usd
Entree dish dessert a glass of wine
It is true than your girlfriend does not like the mahi mahi pate because it was cold.
We do not know but you seemed to like dish and dessert (even in a place not well maintained)
I do not eat in a place that is not maintained
To finish it is sad to spend so much time defending your work especially when you do the maximum
Love it or hate it ( thank you more love than hate it )
Thank you for having granted 1 Star, it would have insulted me more if you grant us 2 or 3.
As my Mom said ,
We can not appeal to everyone , we think giving a maximum for a minimum price is a good thing...
Those who love ( they are many ) good
Those who hate it ( they are few) too bad
For I am relieved to have lost your words has absolutely no goals

Tripadvisor travelers take their decision

Good souvenir of costa rica

Premierement merci de votre commentaire qui a ete rapide.
Vous nous avez quittez hier et c est deja en ligne,il est vrai que les gens content de la tropicale ne mettent pas toujours de commentaires mais pour le poison cela va vite.
Je ne ferai pas effort de vous repondre en anglais une amie le fera pour moi afin de mesure les propos dans ma langue maternelle
De tout ce que vous declarez une seule chose a ma connaissance est vrai et je dois m excuser c est la qualite de l eau de la piscine
Nous avons recu beaucoup d enfants et avec la chaleur cela n a rien arrange l eau etait voilee
Maintenant venant au reste.....
Grand merci que vous me trouvez gentil, mais que je ne sois pas votre style cela me rassure et me soulage....
La decoration des bungalows tikki est en bambou visible sur internet meuble locaux, peut etre pas new york style mais desole la couleur est annoncee dans notre web page
Qui n aime pas ne vient pas
C est pas du vintage mais tropicale.
Chambre simple ?
Eh oui nous n avons pas la pretention d un 4 etoiles d ailleurs le prix 60 usd n est pas le prix d un 4etoiles
Je ne souviens pas avoir payer 60 usd a new york pour une chambre avec au rez de chausse cuisine. Petit salon. Salle de bain et en loft. Chambre ac deux sofa tv cable
Pour la moustiquaire aux fenetres je ne vous ai pas vu mange par les moustiques au petit matin(il y en a peu a cette saison)
Ce qui m insulte le plus est que selon vous en general l etablissement est mal entretenu.
Les fontaines et lasers show je suis surpris que venant de new york vous n aimiez pas cela
Tous les clients adorent dans les palmiers l effet est genial

merci mon Dieu vous ne parlez pas de votre romantique diner. 20Usd
Entree plat dessert un verre de vin
Il est vrai que votr amie n aime pas le pate de mahi mahi c est froid
On ne le savais pas mais vous semblez avoir aimez de plat et le dessert ( meme dans un endroit pas entrenu)
Moi je ne mange pas dans un endroit qui n est pas entretenu
Pour en finir c est bien triste de passer tant de temps a defendre votre travail surtout quand on fait le maximum
On aime ou on deteste ( merci plus adorent que detestent)
Merci de m avoir accorde 1etoiles , m avoir accorde 2ou 3 m aurai beaucoup plus insulte venant de vous
Comment dit Maman ,
On ne peux pas plaire a tout le monde,nous pensons donner le maximum a prix minimum
Ceux qui aiment (ils sont beaucoup ) tant mieux
Ceux qui detestent ( peu) tant pis
Pour moi je suis soulage d avoir perdu a vos propos absolument pas objectifs

Les voyageurs de tripadvisor prendrons leur decision

Bon souovenir du Costa Rica

ARNO
LA TROPICALE Beach Lodge
Playa Carrillo Guanacaste
Costa Rica
+506 26560159
+506 88849471
On top of the beach , last bridge turn left and 200 meters in front zoo la selva we aiting for you
Have a wonderfull trip

COSTA RICA

www.playacarrillocostarica.com
www.latropicale.co

Reviewed November 25, 2013

I met up with a friend who was staying at La Tropicale and we had a truly unique experience. As it was my first time in Costa Rica I believe I had an exdrodinary experience because of this awesome beach lodge. For such an inexpensive price you really get a feel for the lush surrondings and I cannot even tell you how wonderful Arno and Allan are with their guests. They truly go above and beyond your expectations of service. I will definately stay there again!!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
arnoPlayaCarrillo, Propriétaire at La Tropicale Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Merci
Thank you so much it was a pleasure to receive you and again thank for your nice comments
Rainning season stop and horrible cheap guest too
Place now to people like you who appreciate our hospitality and la tropicale in general
See you soon we do hope
Pura vida

Reviewed October 25, 2013

We booked this room based on reviews, and were shocked when we arrived because it was such a bad experience. After hauling luggage up and down long gravel path, the door to the room had a combination lock with no door handle - you had to stick your fingers under the door to pull it closed. the room had a strong moldy smell and windows were fixed shut, safe was locked and owner couldn't remember combination, shower didn't drain, kitchenette was outside with no screen. Our reservation was for 6 nights, we stayed one night only because it was already dark, left first thing in morning. Also, this place is NOT on the beach and you definitely need a car to get around.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank RetiredTravelers555
arnoPlayaCarrillo, Propriétaire at La Tropicale Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Sorry that La Tropicale was not for you, but I think if you read the other 2 horrible comments this would have helped you make your choice elsewhere.
As soon as you got out of the car I knew you were not La Tropicale's type of client.
Costa Rica is not a 3rd world country and things have a price thank goodness not like Hawaii which has a reputation for being over the top expensive!
$40 a night for two people with Breakfast included which you enjoyed prior to checking out.
You were in our bungalow called Fakarava with 2 double beds, TV, Air conditioning, table & chairs with an outdoor kitchen over looking the garden what more do you expect for this price? This can all be seen on You Tube...
As for the smell in the room, you were here during a solid week of rain with 99% humidity, we do our best to keep the humidity down by disinfecting the rooms every day but it is true that this may still bother sensitive people.
We ensured the room was fresh upon your arrival, you seemed satisfied at check in.
As for the keypad locks on the doors, we upgraded to these locks to simplify the problem of lost keys...I guess a basic key would have been better for you.
As for the safe, yes the codes were not working but I offered you the keys to the safe which you declined.
The next morning after you enjoyed breakfast and we spoke you said you did not want to stay because Wi Fi was only in the common areas and not in the rooms and that we were not on the beach, I asked if there was anything else and you said no you had a good night's sleep!
Nowhere in our advertising does it say we are on the beach, it says we are at 200 meters from the beach, easily accessible by walking or car.
As for the shower's slow drain, yes it is slow at this time of year as the ground is saturated with all the rain we have recently received therefore one must be a bit patient with Mother Nature, in dry season this is never an issue and the flowers love any water they can't get!
In conclusion I am faced with the same dilemma answering people who do not like La Tropicale (Thank Goodness they are few!) You cannot please everybody all the time but what saddens me is that upon your departure you seemed very sympathetic and we even recommended a hotel directly on the beach in the next town but the price is triple what you would pay at La Tropicale.
Also you forgot to mention that WE carried your luggage along the gravel path not yourself!
Once more most Tripadvisor guests are savvy and will understand the type of property we are as we are sometimes discouraged by ingratitude such as yours in relation to the quality and price we offer.
Even in Costa Rica things have a price!
A luxurious room on the beach for $40 a night does not exist!
Pura Vida

Reviewed October 21, 2013

I visited La Tropicale and Playa Carillo in October, which I discovered was the wrong time of year to go. It rained! But La Tropicale was a great hotel, and Arno, the French owner, was very nice, he's done a great job of building this little jungle lodge, it's like having your own little house in the forest. He's very knowledgable of the area and helpful in making your plans, on a rainy afternoon with nothing to do he even invited me to a party in Samara which all the expats there have every month. The pool at the end of the day was awesome! I definitely recommend this hotel, Costa Rica is rather expensive and this was a surprisingly good value hotel, with comfortable rooms and nice bathrooms, even a kitchenette, very thoughtfully designed. A friendly place! The only point I knocked off was the room was a little musty since it's the rainy season, but if you've traveled at all then you know that's normal for the rainy season in the tropics, I expect that goes away when the rain does. If I come back to Carillo, I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
arnoPlayaCarrillo, Propriétaire at La Tropicale Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

hello
thank you so much it s was a pleasure to receice you
you was not lucky with the weather rain rain and rain and yes bungalow has to support 95 pour cent humidity exterior not easy time october but charming
hope to see you soon