“Charming & Unbeatable Value”

Sunset Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Pantai Cenang
Culburra Beach, Australia
“Charming & Unbeatable Value”
Reviewed April 13, 2009

This place is awesome! We booked it based on everyone elses reviews and they weren't wrong, this place is a real gem. We only stayed 2 nights (after a 4 night stay at The Andaman) and enjoyed our stay thoroughly. Location is fantastic, service was incredible, tropical grounds and beach location were stunning. Our room was very clean, comfortable and decorated with beautiful traditional wood carvings. We travel a lot, and usually in 5 star hotels, but I am thrilled to say this place was awsome and I recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed April 12, 2009

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. It is right beside the beatiful beach and close to the restaurants and shops in the town. The staff in the reception was sooo nice and friendly. The breakfast is served just beside the beach with a sea view, a good way to start the day when you are on vacation. The only negative thing was that there were some mosquitos in the area so they also were in the rooms. We recommend you to buy products for getting rid of them.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Garner, North Carolina
Reviewed March 28, 2009

Stayed at this hotel for 3 days. Free flow breakfast included with our stay. Dining room faces the beach - totally relaxing and laid back. Staff was very helpful and courteous. Would definitely stay here again if we're ever in Langkawi.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Bogangar, Australia
Reviewed March 26, 2009

We booked late last year for March, based upon the reviews on Trip Advisor. We must admit that things were looking a little shaky when we read a couple of the less than positive reviews in January. What had we got ourselves in for? We considered canceling but then decided the majority of reviews surely can't be wrong so we decided to try the resort if only for the night.....

Well we were pleasantly pleased with our choice. Yes the resort is basic and old, but the rooms are spacious and clean. The beds were really comfortable and I must admit I did peek at the pillows just because I couldn't help myself and yep they were stained, however the pillow cases were clean and fresh.....I reckon that was good enough for me....The bathroom was old and could use a refurbish no doubt about it, but it was spacious and functional.

The rooms are cleaned everyday and the towels etc are old but clean and changed daily. The gardens are beautiful and lead down to the beach......that is where the resort comes into it's own......coconut trees dot the beach in front of the resort and this is where you have breakfast (included in your rate). Yes this is also basic, 3 types of cereal, toast, fruit coffee, tea however they also cooks eggs to order. The food is simple but nutritious.

There is no pool but the resort is right on the beach....now to the beach.....look Cenang beach is not the cleanest beach we have seen (we live in Qld , Australia and obviously spoilt when it comes to cear pristine water and beaches), however the sunsets are to die for...........what a way to complete a day sitting on the sun lounge and watching the sun set....We have travelled extensively through SE Asia and we go there to experience a different culture and soak up the sights and sounds...if we wanted a pure beach holiday we would stay home. There are works going on outside the resort and there are rather large holes simply boarded up that one could walk through and disappear into if not careful however this is a review of the resort not of the obvious lack of WH&S that seems to be a stable of SE Asian countries. You just need to accept it and be responsible for your own safety when travelling.

The resort is well situated and a short walk to shops, mini marts and restaurants. You cannot finalise your account at the resort, however it is a relatively short and interesting walk to the Sunset Group to pay. They advise you of this when checking in so it came as no surprise and was not inconvenient.

The one thing that really sticks in our minds about the resort is the staff. They were simply wonderful and looked after us like family.

We acknowledge that everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone has different experiences, however ours was a positiive one and we would highly recommend this resort provided you are not expecting 5 star facilities. If that is what you are after in a holiday go to the Datai or the Andaman.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank QueenslandTess
Singapore
Reviewed March 10, 2009

Basically this is a resort that cares more about profit margin then guest safety. We had some trouble with the switches, and they got their handyman to come in to repair in the afternoon. We went out for our sightseeing and returned in the evening and realised that they have left the sockets dangling (a temporarily solution they said) and we could see sparks of fire behind it. We were really worried it would catch fire that night, and insisted they ask the real electrician to come straight away. When the electrician came, he said it was very dangerous to leave the socket dangling like that. We were pretty furious with the management to endanger our lives like that but they were largely unapolegetic and insisted it was a once off event. They changed our room the second night. The second room was fine, but there were many ants all over the place and the air con was pretty loud.

On the bright side, we found a very friendly and safe taxi driver called Roslan, do call him to ferry you to all the attractions, he is a very fine tour guide as well and charge very reasonable, RM 100 to ferry you anywhere for 4 hrs. He provide a personal and personalised tour guide service. Very highly recommended, you can call him at [-] and said Sally & Stefan recommended him.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Bangalore
Reviewed March 10, 2009

First of all, sorry for such a delayed review. Sunset Beach Resort is a hidden gem with a very warm and friendly staff. We had booked Sunset II room. The rooms are simple but at the same time very cozy, comfortable and clean. Bathrooms were cleaned regularly and towels were replaced promptly. AC an TV in the room worked well. The breakfast is served at the dining hall facing the beach. All the rooms are provided with a mosquito repellant. Breakfast is just basic with toasts, eggs made to order, Juice, cereals, fruits and sausage. Though a simple one, ample enough to kick start the day. You really get what you pay for . The best thing about the place is their extremely friendly and helpful staff. All of them greet you by name and with a lovely smile. The resort is located in Pantai Tengah, one of the famous hot spots for shopping, dining, beaches and local sightseeing. The underwaterworld and the Pantai Cenang beach is just a ten minute walk from the resort. If living in luxury and having posh facilities like an in-house restaurant, a pool, a spa, room service..etc matter to you then this place is not for you. If you are looking for a beautiful small gem with all basic amenities, good value for money, close proximity to dozens of restaurants, bars, beahces, car rentals, supermarkets and shopping places...then Sunset Beach resort is the perfect place for you and a highly recommended one!! Do try the Light House restaurant when in Langkawi, just a 5 min walk from this resort for that awesome dreamy location and a romantic candlelight dinner on the beach listening to the sound of the waves lashing the shore. Light House is slightly pricey but the experience is well worth that little splurge ;-). Have a great stay at Sunset Beach Resort, Langkawi :-)

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SoumyaTravelDiaries
Forfar, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 28, 2009

Firstly, when I tried to book this hotel back in Oct 08, it was like pulling teeth to get a reply from them, then when they finally did (after about 3-4 times), they insisted on a credit card number, but do not have a secure website for you to do this. Then we tried their fax number - actually tried 2 different fax numbers from both my work and my husbands numerous times and neither worked - they just rang and rang and rang. So then tried the email - AGAIN - and again no reply despite numerous tries. In the end, Baskie got in touch with them on my behalf but they still wouldn't give him a firm yes or no about our booking. Shortly after that I did finally get an email confirming. I should have known then to make other arrangements but didn't. Luckily there were no arguments when we arrived.

So we came to check in and the woman at the desk was very nice and friendly. They were still cleaning our room but she said we could put our bags in the room, which we did. When there I saw the state of the pillows, which were the most dirty I have seen anywhere - absolutely disgusting. So if you do stay here, look under the pillow cases. The mattress seemed better but I didn't get a good look. I decided right then that I would only sleep in my silk sleeping sac the whole time. And as far as cleanliness, we stayed 4 nights and I don't think the floor was ever swept, let alone washed the entire time. There were the same dust balls/bits of fluff/whatever you want to call them in the same place day after day. And in the bathroom, the shower may have been been rinsed but again, places where some of our talc powder went on the floor stayed there the whole 4 days. And the state of the bathroom was poor - permanent grout mould stains everywhere and the towels, although washed, were also permanently stained (with what I didn't want to ask) and had holes in them. Also, the actual shower controls were up so high that I couldn't change them the entire time. Since I am, more or less, the same height as many Malaysian women, I cannot believe they situated the shower unit so high. Even at my tip toes using my full arm stretch I couldn't even get close to touching the controls.

The breakfast was not nice at all - the same old tired, boring (read rubbish) Western breakfast. We only bothered one morning and regretted even that.

The beach was nice, but all the other guests were completely selfish and put their towels on the beach loungers all day, even when they went away for hours at a time, so that no one else could use them. The water, if you went in for a swim, was not nice at all. Not dirty in the sense of oil slicks or rubbish floating about, but murky, very murky. In fact the first day we went in for a swim I was surprised that I was only in a few inches of water, but couldn't see down to my feet and also felt like I was being sort of bitten - like thousands of pin pricks. A real disappointment after seeing the lovely beach and seemingly blue water all around. The last 2 days I didn't feel well at all, and I put it down to perhaps getting some inedible ice cubes, but now I think about it, I did put my head under water and I think it may have been the dirty water, even though I wasn't swimming for long or very often. I noticed not many other guests went swimming very much either. That may be why or it may be some couldn't be bothered to leave their loungers, which it seemed some never did the whole time we were there.

Back to the room and there are no door knobs and the door doesn't close, so you either have to let it swing wide open for all the world to see into your room, or lock it or use the chain lock. Not good. And mossies EVERYWHERE, also ants. It was no coincidence that the mini-mart right next door stocked bug spray (the big, red industrial type cans) in great quantities, and that every single room you passed by had either one of those in the doorway and a mossie coil, or BOTH. This, I think, was down to the fact they had these water features everywhere, which on first sight seemed nice, but in reality were just mossie breeding grounds, and loads of them. Stagnant water everywhere for them to nurture in.

When it came to pay, they don't take your card there, you have to walk quite a bit away to pay at their gift shop, which is not exactly next door to the hotel.

The only good thing about this hotel was that the staff, all of them, were very, very friendly. This doesn't make up for it being overpriced (we had a family room, which meant 2 double mattresses on a platform right next to each other - yes just mattresses on the floor basically which we paid £60 a night for), the room not clean, mossie ridden, bad breakfast and dirty sea to swim in.

Also the area around it was just a strip mall, and building site on top of that. God forbid you would have a bit too much to drink and try to walk home - they are re-doing the sidewalks and there are HUGE, DEEP holes everywhere - most of them with no cautions or impediments for anyone to fall right in. And there is hardly any street lighting, so even if you aren't tipsy, you could easily fall in anyway. There are many places to eat, especially if you want to get chips (fries) or full English fry-ups shoved down your gob. But basically not one cooking local Malaysian food. There was a good one called Haroos, but it served not Malaysian but some really nice Korean dishes and the waiter was excellent, truly a credit.

There is nowhere to eat or drink at the hotel, tho there is a place on the beach right next door which is pretty average (the white wine is yuck - sweet ?Blue Nun?).

If you want a place on the beach, but that you wouldn't want to swim in, don't care about cleanliness, or care that the surrounding area is nothing more than a strip mall and currently a big building site (which is what most of Langkawi seemed to us, apart from the geopark), then I guess it is okay, but even then I would say if you want a beach holiday, forget Langkawi and go to its neighbour, which you can see from some of the island - which is Thailand - much, much better in all areas. Langkawi, Paradise Island, I don't think so.

PS: Do go on one of the eco mangrove tours. This was the only thing we liked on the island - wild eagles, beautiful mangroves, monkeys, etc.

• Liked — Not much - the sunsets were pretty good
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Casa del Mar, Langkawi
Casa del Mar, Langkawi
#1 of 16 in Pantai Cenang
Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi

Been to Sunset Beach Resort? Share your experiences!