“Great place for animal lovers”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Bon Ton Resort

Bon Ton Resort
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Pantai Cenang
Vancouver, Canada
“Great place for animal lovers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

The Bon Ton is also owned by the owners of the animal rescue and shelter LASSie, and many of the cats, and a few dogs, have adopted the resort as their new home. Each of the 8 antique kampong houses where guests stay seems to have been adopted by a cat, and he'll guard it by sleeping on your steps. The cats will leave if you insist, but are very happy to hang out with you (Calico was the cutie for my villa, the Blue Ginger, and he jumped in the bathtub and the safe to try to make me pay attention to him!)

Each kampong house has been restored and kitted out with all the modern conveniences (AC, fan, TV, fridge, toaster, kettle, etc), plus a modern bathroom. Some of the bathrooms are on your deck under the stars, but with a high fence around them so you have privacy: other villas have indoor bathrooms.

The restaurant on site is fantastic - people come from all over the island just to eat here.

The pool is a great place to cool off from the heat and is the right size to do a few lazy laps if you like.

Room Tip: Decide whether you're comfortable with an outdoor bathroom (very private) or if you want all you...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

We actually didn't stay in the rooms, so I can't comment about staying. But we came back 3 or 4 times to the restaurant and one day we spent the whole lunch and afternoon reading by their pool- as we ordered drinks and enjoyed swimming and the loungers. so so beautiful! They were happy to have us as they were not so busy and we were spending money. It was truly awesome!

The food is OFF THE CHARTS good for Langkawi! Great combinations- not over large portions but super fresh and high quality. The salads are beautiful and the desserts are AMAZING!! just come to try a dessert!!

It is expensive! but we felt splurging on our holiday was all part of it!
We hope we can stay here one day at the accommodations look stunning and authentic! Such a beautifully decorated and done place! We loved it!!

I highly recommend for lunch, dinner and dessert!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mikaela K
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

I visited with my husband and 3 children aged 2, 7 and 9. My children loved playing with the cats that were lying around the resort. Loved the view of the pond from the restaurant. The antique Malay timber houses were beautifully restored. I am glad that my children got to experience staying in one. A really unique accommodation. The staff were attentive and accomodating. Our flight was a10pm flight. The staff on duty was flexible enough to allow us to check out at 6pm as it was not booked the next day. With 3 young children, that was a great help! Good location with the main town only 5 min taxi ride away.

Btw the cats will not enter the villa if you keep the doors and windows closed. There are aircon and fans so there is no need to open the windows.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank meiyin76
Ipoh, Malaysia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

We checked in for two nights at Bon Ton, the view was lovely and each villa is individually special.

Then came the cats to rule over our beds!! The cats just wont leave the beds, even after we shoo them, they practically jump up the bed and share the bed with you. Yes, even if you are an animal lover, you dont need the cat up in bed with you. I even got flea bites on my leg (they are still itchy till now even with medicine).

Being a family trip, we have kids running around the house, and at night, a malay man came knocking on our door and said, "How many of you in the house, why so many shoes outside, dont make me come to your door and knock again, I can hear you from outside". We asked,"Next vilal complained?" and he answered,"No, I can hear you from outside"

Oh my god!! He wasnt even saying it nicely and was threatening us! Of course we have a lot of shoes!! We dont wear our sport shoes to the beach, we changed them to slippers!! Whats with putting our shoes outside!! I mean was it our fault we put all our shoes at our own villa?

The next morning we found out the friendly reception girl we met was the morning shift, and this malay man was to be on night shift.

The following night, my husband was about to go out for a smoke, and when he opened the door, he saw the same man right at the stairs of our villa with his torchlight counting our shoes!! And he said this, "How many of you inside?"

This is too much!! The place would have been perfect without him stalking us!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank florence c
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

We spent four days in Bon Ton and enjoyed every minute of our stay. The service was good and we found everyone very helpful, sincere and hospitable. This place was exactly what we were looking for: authentic Malay villas with all the necessities of the modern world. They trully thought through the details.
The resort really felt private (could be because we were there during the low season), it was very tranquil with cats slugging on the sun.
Nam, the restaurant in the resort, has wonderful deserts and cocktails!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank YuliyaRR
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

I did not choose to stay here, hence my review is only about their service level on the phone. I called the hotel at 10.30am today and asked for their reservations dept. The man who picked up the phone was rude and told me "reservations are not in office yet" - what?! at 10.30am, they still have not started work? his reply was simple "no, they haven't." and without any offers to take my number and call me back, he just simply hung up the phone! OMG... how can anyone consider this place if their customer service level on the phone is so terrible!? I am speechless...

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank sugarstic
acg1960, Manager at Bon Ton Resort, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Hello Sugarstic,

I would like to first thank you for taking the time to inform us about this issue, when it comes to customer service, I personally take all matters very seriously.

I have since spoken to the person in question and I have also implemented a new procedure with it comes to taking reservation during and outside of office hours.

I hope when you next call our resort you get the service you require & deserve.
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

Staying here ATM. We spent 5 nights at the 5* Datai but due to a change in travel plans had to find another place for 1 night.

We chose here due to good reviews on Booking. A wonderful unique place. About 8 individual old wooden historic villas around a pool and overlooking a wetlands so plenty of birdlife to see.

Next door is an animal shelter for around 200 cats and 100 dogs but there is very little noise. Cats are everywhere though and each have their preferred villa! So don't come if you are allergic or don't like cats!! They are mild mannered and very sweet and make the place special.

There's free wifi, a free welcome drink and a free cocktail, food is delicious, affordable and generous.

Staff are kind and friendly. The manager is hands on and welcomed you to the hotel.

So laid back and very stunning! They have mosquito nets and sprays etc. in the room. We were a bit concerned as there's gaps between all the wood slats but there were few insects tbh. I got bitten a little but if there's a room of 100 people it will be me that gets bitten. My husband wasn't touched!

I can't say more as was only here for 24 hours but I recommend highly! ... If you don't mind cats!!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
#8 of 100 in Langkawi
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,290 reviews
The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort
The Datai Langkawi

Been to Bon Ton Resort? Share your experiences!