“cannot be bettered”

Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Pantai Cenang
Perth
“cannot be bettered”
Reviewed September 13, 2010

My wife and I stayed for 6 nights at the CdM and both agree it is one of the most relaxing holidays we have had in ages. The staff at this hotel are incredibly efficient and friendly, and you really do feel at home there. Seaview room was great - only 20 metres from the beach and very comfortable. Breakfast is very good with a la carte menu and everything freshly cooked. Dinner on the beach was excellent. They have more loungers than guests, so you don't get that scramble for one if you plan to spend the day lazing round. Location: good, at the quiet end of Cenang beach but only a short walk to restaurants and across the road from a great spa. Good tours arranged through hotel, especially Dev's eco-tour. All in all, an outstanding hotel with a major focus on friendly service.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2010

Months before my wedding i undertook indepth research Into the best place to stay in Langkawi – for months I read the reviews and fell in love with Casa Del Mar whilst sitting in my gloomy work office I had high hopes for the most perfect honeymoon experience but I am sorry to say it was an anti climax and I ended up regretting staying here. As it was our honeymoon we justified to our selves to spend a vast amount of money on this trip and paid extra to stay in a luxury suit which was far from luxurious. I will list both the positive and negative points of our stay but I so very wish my experience had not been like this, I almost feel guilty making this posting but I think its only fair to post my experience of my stay.

Negatives – the hotel room was old, the furniture needs changing/updating and thv dirty stains on the sofa were ugly to look at and I had to use a towel to sit on top of it while watching tv. I appreciate this is the theme of the hotel but its clear from our room that it needed to be re-painted and new items brought in. I noticed many yellow stains on the walls not obvious at first but it could have done with a new paint job. I was told my room would be cleaned everyday but just new towels were brought in and the bathroom tub and shower itself always looked a little dirty and in need of a refurbishment I never once felt comfortable to walk bear foot inside our room. We never received our beach towels in our rooms and always had to get them from reception, I requested that my sheets get changed after the 4th night and they were not – only after I made the request for the 3rd time it was changed. I guess as a girly girly I was looking forward to getting the complimentary honeymoon flowers these were never given to me on arrival but after an hour someone seemed to have remembered and just put a vase in my room with some flowers but for me the moment had past and it was a bit too late. the bed was comfortable but the net draping on it meant no ait conditioning went on us to cool us down in the heat and the fan made too much noise we couldnt get the tempertaure right in the room and i think it had alot to do with the net draping on the 4 poster bed. So the room didn’t live up to my expectations but we tried to remain positive and thought the poolside would be the amazing experience we had read about

– for the first 3 days of my trip I was never brought any water pitchers, watermelon, cold towel and never even saw these lollypops others have mentioned. At first it was not an issue I thought maybe it was just a genuine mistake I did not want to make a fuss but after the 3 days me and my husband were starting to feel we were clearly not receiving the same service as our other guests around us who seemed to be enjoying the perks that I heard made this hotel. I felt a little cheated after paying so much money to be there I was hoping to be pampered on my honeymoon. After the end of that 3rd day we felt our honeymoon had been tarnished. I finally felt it was time to speak to a member of the management team and I expressed my concerns. He was extremely quick to apologies and took on board all my comments which I appreciated. After this moment we suddenly started to be given those perks and were given the true Casa Del Mar customer service – the final few days of our honeymoon were much better service wise but unfortunately for us it was a little too late as my impression of the hotel was tarnished. However there are also some FANTASTIC aspects of this hotel which do truly live up to what had been stated.

Positives – the staff are WONDERFUL truly friendly, Mega was a delight to see at breakfast along with the rest of the team. Breakfast was the most delicious I have ever tasted and food at La Sal is just amazing and well worth the money. The pool itself was clean and lovely to be in and the beach front was stunning. The sun lounges were very comfortable and there was never any mad rush to get one, the selection of food on the menu at lunch was very tasty and always hit the spot. The cocktails were delicious and bar staff friendly. The hammock in our room on our own private balcony was a great touched and I loved reading my book and looking at the view. The constant replenishment of fresh water bottles was great and we enjoyed borrowing DVD’s for the nights when the rain was too heavy to go out – although I think its time to update your collection guys! :) the staff were very helpful in organising taxis and providing general advice on what to do on the island.

Those were the great aspects which I will not forget but im sorry to say I wish it had been as good as this from the start of my honeymoon – I do wish to thank the staff at Casa Del Mar they do an excellent job most of the time maybe we just got unlucky on our trip but we will not be visiting again and I will not recommend this to my friends. My biggest suggestion for the management is to please please update your rooms and have them repainted and re furnished it will make a big difference and try and ensure ALL your guests are treated the same way from the moment they walk in and not after they make a complaint.

Finally as not to end on a negative note we arrived back to London and a few days later I received a beautiful bunch of flowers and after reading the card I was touched to see it was from the team at Casa Del Mar – I was truly touched that this gesture was made and guys if your reading this it honestly knocked me side ways I was not expecting that at all so thank you again it really did help change my impression of your hotel it was a nice touch and yes I did forgive you after I got them! :)

All in all it was a nice place but definitely not what I was hoping for and I was sad that it did not live up to my expectations of customer service. But I think mine is only a handful of not so great comments you will read either way I hope it was helpful to some.

Salma and Jay - London

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank alwad56
TomBlachere, General Manager at Casa del Mar, Langkawi, responded to this review, September 15, 2010
Dear you two,

You should not be guilty to make this posting.
We are comfortable reading it as your feedback helped us to take some actions where we obviously lack of attention in our service.
I understand your disappointment. We had no right to spoil your one time, one stay honeymoon and I could not apologize enough.
As I unfortunately cannot rewind the tense, I am going to update you on the actions we have taken since you left nearly five months ago.
We changed the sofa, the walls have been repainted but not only in that room but we have launched few months back a spring cleaning/maintenance program which is about to be completed. Beach towels are sent to the rooms in the evening on the terrace for the beach front rooms unless it rains it is done the day after in the morning. For suites beach towels are sent the night before during turndown.
Yes all rooms are cleaned of course every day, in the morning and during turndown. Sheets are changed every 03 nights or upon request. The flowers even if they arrived late to us should have been handed over personally to your wife and you, this has been debriefed to our staff.
We have changed the pillows. Each bed has now a set of two soft hypoallergenic micro gel pillows as well as a set of two feathers balloon ones. A third set is in the wardrobe and are harder ones. Toward the end of the month we will receive feather tops to soften our guests’ nights.
Regarding the air conditioning units they are effectively not located above the beds for the only reason that it can make your night uncomfortable and make you falling sick. However we have replaced many of the compressors which at the end make them more efficient.
Service around the pool has been enhanced and staff retrained. It is truly not in our philosophy nor in our habits to make any segregation in terms of service. Our best and most valuable assets are our staff, most of them have a genuine sense of hospitality and serve with their heart and smile everyone to the image of Mega you have named.
As I write to you, we are planning a room renovation. Hold it we will reveal the details in few months’ time.
I really thank you for lightning up the good aspects of your stay indeed and regret we could not delight you more before you return home.
Our front door remains open to you, if you were to be back I am certain your stay would be very much different…

With kind regards

Tom
Kent
Reviewed September 7, 2010

My new husband and i have just spent 8 wonderful days of our honeymoon at Casa del Mar and we enjoyed every minute. The service makes this hotel stand out above any I've ever stayed in - the personal attention and friendliness of the staff is brilliant - they all knew us by the end of our stay and that made us feel very welcome.
We aren't the type to stay by the pool all day (though the pool and sea are beautiful and perfect for cooling off) so we explored Langkawi every day, covering pretty much everything the island has to offer - we'd recommend the cable car, Dev's adventure tours (particularly the mangrove boat trip and jungle tour - Jerome was our guide on both and was brilliant!) Possibly there isn't quite enough to do on the island to fill 8 days, so if we came again we might make it a slightly shorter trip, but if soaking up the sun and swimming is your aim, you could stay here forever!
Casa del Mar has amazing food (as does the whole island), and the cocktails are as good as they are reported to be! The rooms are always immaculately clean, as is the whole hotel and every request is answered instantly and always with a smile.
I don't think we could have imagined a better honeymoon destination - it has had everything we wanted from romance to adventure, and the staff at Casa del Mar have made us feel special, which is what we wanted!
HIGHLY RECOMMEND!! WE WILL BE BACK!!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed September 6, 2010

My new Wife and I enjoyed 5 wonderful days at the Casa del Mar. There really isn't anything we could fault about the resort: a beautiful beach, lovely pool area and fabulous restaurant topped off with excellent service all made our stay a pleasure. Pantai Cenang is also a good location for exploring the rest of the island - we 'dropped in' at The Datai/Andaman development whilst touring in a hire car (to be nosy!) and found these places to be remote and a bit characterless.

We have no hesitation in recommending the Casa del Mar to anyone - and we certainly hope to return in future. Who knows, maybe one day we'll have visited enough times to earn ourselves a fish ornament at the bar!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
England
Reviewed September 2, 2010

This is a lovely hotel with excellent service that we picked based on tripadvisor reviews and a friends recommendation. Great cocktails, excellent service and a great breakfast. Room furnishings are perhaps slightly faded, but that is maybe the whole concept of the hotel. We booked a suite, but weren't quite sure it was worth the extra money - suites seemed to be the same as standard rooms, but with a bit of extra space inside the room (space that isn't really necessary). Many of the non-suite rooms are right on the beach - in many ways these are better than the suites.

The food here is excellent - the meals we ate were always delicious. Best Lamb I ever ate was, bizarrely, eaten on the beach in front of Casa del Mar (imported from New Zealnd was the lamb I believe).

We also ate at the Bon Ton resort - the food there was nowhere near the standard of Casa del Mar, even though it was more expensive (in fact the food at Bon Ton was poor - the fish wasn't even fresh). We also ate at the Datai, which is also a lovely hotel and in a more secluded location on the island.

All in all, this is a great hotel and we really enjoyed the stay, but I'm not sure that suites are worth the extra price. The hotel is in the busier part of the island, but it's never too busy (more peaceful and secluded hotels are on the North coast).

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LGH-ENG
Perth, WA
Reviewed August 31, 2010

My husband & I along with our son and his girlfriend had the pleasure of spending 4 nights at this wonderful resort.
The location was idyllic - in fact everything you needed was right there.
The staff were courteous at all times and very helpful. Rooms were immaculate and the food tasty. As for the day spa..........great.
All in all, a 10 out of 10 for us and a place we would love to revisit.

Perth, WA

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank FGJG
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2010

We travelled to Langakawi at the end of July and had the pleasure of staying in The Casa Del Mar for 9 nights. It was our second stay on the island in 4 years, but the first at this hotel and like so many of the reviewers we had high expectations based on the comments posted on this forum. We were not disappointed!

This is an amazing place. The location is perfect and our sea view room was clean and comfortable. However, the thing that made it for us, and many others, was the service. Everyone we met clearly takes a pride in working here and it was a real pleasure talking to a smashing bunch of people. We ate in the restaurant a lot and the food was excellent. Those sunsets are incredible! The bar area is fun and a great chance to meet other people.

As so many people reported, we really appreciated those little extras, in addition to all the ones mentioned, we really appreciated the bottle of wine and a hand written note from Tom, the manager, left in our room a couple of days before we departed. We have travelled a lot and stayed in some fantastic hotels, but that is the first time that has happened to us.

Last time we stayed in Langkawi we were at the Pelangi and the Datai. The Casa Del Mar surpasses the Pelangi by miles and although the Datai was excellent it lacked the atmosphere of The Casa where we felt welcome and at home. Thank you so much to Tom and his team.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Tanjung Rhu Resort
#8 of 104 in Langkawi
The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort
Four Seasons Resort Langkawi, Malaysia

Been to Casa del Mar, Langkawi? Share your experiences!