We stayed at this hotel for 8 nights at the end of a five week holiday to Australia and New Zealand. We are seasoned travellers to Asia and selected this hotel based on reviews, its location and the information contained in its website.
Many long reviews have been written and the hotel management do encourage use of review sites such as trip advisor as a means of promoting its benefits and helping to combat the other quality hotels in the area. This can be a two edged sword as over inflated reviews will lead to future customer disappointment through failure to meet expectations based on historical 'rave' reviews.
These comments are based on our experience of this and other hotels in Asia, ranging from 5 star top end establishments, smaller boutique style hotels in both town and beach locations and I hope these are helpful and objective.
Location - 10 minutes from the airport, adjacent to a long beach 'strip' which has plenty of water based activities. It is at one end of the main street which has plenty of restaurants and shopping. The street will generate some noise and is not the most attractive feature with much building work which when completed will increase the tourist numbers. This is not a quiet 'idyllic' retreat area. The hotel is located at one end of the main street which is a bonus.
Hotel - a smaller hotel with around 35 rooms on various 'wings' and levels. A well air-conditioned lobby with helpful reception staff is your first introduction. A library area with books, DVDs to rent and Wi Fi throughout most of the hotel and pool/beach area are good features. The bar area is shaded and welcoming with a good number of staff, most of whom are attentive, helpful and cheery. The pool area is good with plenty of sunbeds although the hotel management do encourage early morning towel reservation which can be frustrating when beds are reserved and then not sued for long periods of the day. The common areas are clean and well presented with plenty of natural shade from trees and plenty of parasols.
Rooms - we had one of the deluxe suites which was superb offering a spacious living room, bedroom with four poster bed and a bathroom. Our only surprising downside of this wonderful offering was the instruction on day one by the hotel management not to put used toilet paper in the WC and to place it in the bin provided. In this day and age and in a hotel built within the past 15 years, the inability to build sufficient sewerage facility to cope with modern, albeit 'western' expectations was a disappointment and not something that the current management can do much about. This only seems to be a problem with upstairs accommodation and may only be restricted to the deluxe suites - if so this is a great shame as these are the most expensive rooms.
Food - despite us choosing this hotel for its proximity to local restaurants, we ate within the hotel every night and enjoyed superb food from a wide enough menu, which was prepared to a very high standard and well presented. The beach location was excellent and a good 'Plan B' for adverse weather was in place. We also paid for the La Luna exclusive 7 course meal with wine to celebrate a milestone birthday and were not at all disappointed.
Hotel Staff - led by the current manager, who is leaving shortly, the staff are very keen to help and there is a good team spirit in place and a genuine desire to help. Time will tell whether the new man at the top can continue to maintain the high standards. Many of the staff are long service and this shows through in the team work and service ethic.
Breakfast - wide and varied selection and freshly cooked to order hot food is very good. Freshly made fruit juices are available as is fresh fruit. The breakfast offering is one of the many highlights of this hotel.
Spa - this is a small facility with attentive staff and very reasonably priced. The range of treatments is impressive.
Overall - a very well run hotel which we believe delivers very well against its 4 star rating. We cannot comment on the value for money as this was part of an overall personal itinerary spread over 5 weeks. Our feeling is, from looking at the website that the pricing may be a little high but the good ratio of staff to guests needs to be paid for. This hotel does offer quality however its location needs to be looked into carefully, as it is not a 'get away from it all' site when compared to others. That said, it does offer plenty of activities to suit many tastes and the additional trips available (paid for separately) are plentiful and varied. Overall a very good hotel, well run, but please do not be totally 'bowled over' by the 'perfect' reviews which, I believe' could be counter-productive in the longer term.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The heart of Casa del Mar's (Spanish for ‘Home by the sea’) philosophy is to create unique experiences around individual guests, providing them with a tranquil hideaway. Offering sea view accommodation, innovative dining options and Spa facilities, the 34-room Casa del Mar is the perfect oasis for couples looking for a private and peaceful retreat. From its Mediterranean architecture to its cosy and aesthetically pleasing interior, Casa del Mar is a ‘highly individualised property’. At Casa del Mar, one can indulge in the personalised yet unobtrusive service designed specially to pamper the individual. Guests will be in for a real gastronomic experience with La Sal Restaurant where innovative & yet soul satisfying Mediterranean cuisine, seafood BBQ and Asian samplers will be served. Guests can choose to sit inside the restaurant, with interiors recreated to the splendour of a Californian winery or dine al fresco at the poolside or beachside. Casa del Mar offers one the tranquility of a private holiday home by day and subtle gaiety by night through entertainment and dining options. All traditional hospitality practices will be challenged such that every aspect of the property is in harmony with the objective of creating experiences around individuals. Please note that we specialise in couples and adults and do not offer cots or extra beds in guest rooms. Location: Located at the legendary island of Langkawi, northwest of Peninsula Malaysia, Casa del Mar sits along the island’s Pantai Cenang beach, which is a 10-minute ride from the Langkawi airport and within close proximity to Kuah town, the most popular entertainment area in Langkawi with a wide selection of restaurants and bars. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Fastbooking, Ctrip TA, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Casa del Mar, Langkawi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Del Mar Langkawi Hotel Pantai Cenang
- Casa Del Mar Hotel Langkawi
- Langkawi Casa Del Mar
- Casa Del Mar, Langkawi Pantai Cenang