“This hotel is a shining star, but some clouds are gathering”

Casa del Mar, Langkawi
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Pantai Cenang
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“This hotel is a shining star, but some clouds are gathering”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I have lost count how many times we stayed at Casa del Mar, Just like other Casa del Mar veterans we are member of the Fish Club. Members of the Casa del Mar Fish Club have stayed more than a certain number of nights there; if I recollect correctly the number is 35 nights. Why are there so many returning guests at Casa del Mar? The reason is simple: All 5 point reviews are true. This beach hotel is an oasis of quietness where you can relax and listen to the surf and the birds. The rooms are nice and cosy; the staff is superb. I said all this in previous reviews; Casa del Mar is a shining star and one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. The hotel manager Tom with his lieutenants Fauzi and Robert do a splendid job. We really have a coming home feeling when driving up to the hotel entrance in the transport from the airport. However, during this stay I am reviewing now I could not help noticing that some clouds are gathering above Casa del Mar, threatening the quiet paradise, what Casa del Mar is. And I am afraid that there is not much the management can do about this. The first cloud is the growing amount of budget hotels along Pantai Cenang. The guests of these hotels, with limited of no beach facilities tend to come to the north part of Pantai Cenang, where Casa del Mar is situated. They are probably attracted by the clean beach, which is maintained by Casa del Mar. Some years ago, the beach at Casa del Mar was very quiet, but this time there were many tourists, deploying their towels very close to the Casa del Mar sun beds, even encroaching on the hotel facilities. (See pictures). As Malaysian beach is always public, there is no real hotel owned beach, so there is not much to be done about this phenomenon. The second cloud is the nuisance, caused by external operators. This time there was a green and white boat, with a para sailing operation, of coarse moored in front of Casa del Mar. This boat is equipped with a very powerful sound installation; from time to time terrible disco noise (I refuse to call this music) would be blasting over the beach, disturbing everybody. Finally I want to remark about some guests I encountered. Here I have to step carefully, because every guest has his own perception of a good time, but during my previous visits I encountered many Fish Club members, which were also looking for quietness and were very considerate for the fellow guests, to be expected at Casa del Mar. This time some guests I encountered were less considerate than I could wish at a small hotel like Casa del Mar; sometimes it gave me the feeling of mass tourism. But having said all this, the stay at Casa del Mar was generally very rewarding and we have booked again for next year.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Hendrik_NL
TomBlachere, General Manager at Casa del Mar, Langkawi, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear Hendrik,

Thank you for staying with us again and for taking the time to post your long and kind review. I am so pleased you had a wonderful time again!
In regards to the clouds you mentioned, please understand you visited your home by the sea during a very unique moment in Asia; The Chinese New Year. The whole Asia stops to work to go on holiday. It is a particular period of the year where Langkawi sees many more tourists than any other time during the year. If you were with us now (which is still the peak season) you would notice there are much fewer people on the stretch of beach.

Thank you again for taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor and we are all looking forward to welcoming you next year again!

Tom Blachere

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
London
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Beach front chalet, good breakfast with lovely French toast. Evening meal was also enjoyable on the beach. Beach was clean and not too busy. Located close to many restaurants, shops and launderettes. If you have a spare 20 mins you can cross the road and visit the rice museum (free of cbarge). On a Tuesday evening they do free welcome drinks around 6pm where a rep from the local eco travel company will come and explain some of the excursions they have to offer. We didn't do any of them and didn't feel pressurised in taking any, but it was interesting to hear of the local wildlife etc.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Steve,

Thank you for taking the time to post your kind review.

Thanks for staying with us and it was lovely to read that you had such relaxing time. It is so good doing nothing sometimes during holiday!!

I hope that we will have the opportunity to look after you again sometime in the future.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I have celebrated my 1st anniversary here few days ago with my beloved husband and the service was excellent! the view is superb and the food is delicious! Before came, I have made reservation earlier and liaise with the manager and I have check if they can provide halal food for our dinner since we are Muslim. He has confirmed that they did not serve pork, did not include wain / alcohol in their cooking and their ensure their food is Halal. Best part is they do accept special request such as a slice a cake with happy 1st anniversary wish in our plate! The staff is so friendly and treat us like a VVIP! I do remember the staff name is Halim. My hubby was so happy and the moment is so sweet and overall I'm happy because the plan is success! we had a fabulous candle light dinner with sea view and perfect sunset.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rjuesd
Dears guests,

Congratulations on your first wedding anniversary and we hope there are many more to come!
Many thanks for taking the time to write about your experience at Casa del Mar La Sal restaurant. We are delighted we made this evening a memorable one and even more pleased as you are Malaysians.

Terima Kasih and we hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you again home!

Sydney
Reviewed January 31, 2014

This is a 3 and a half star hotel. I was somewhat disappointed when I arrived at the airport and the complimentary pickup was late. However my disappointment continued when we arrived at the small reception/ library which was cluttered with bags and old furniture. Our Junior suite was on the first floor, entry on road side, via a very narrow and dirty stair well. Again for the price we paid, the room was the biggest disappointment. The furniture old, balcony dirty with a rickety screen and railings that need painting. Each day fraying beach towels were piled outside the room balancing on the stairwell railing. We had 3 guests in our room, one having to sleep on a very uncomfortable fold out lounge. Wifi access is poor and the login process very complicated. We had four devices with four different passwords that required to be reentered all the time. In the evenings it just didn't work.
I have now read in other reviews about mist sprays and beach bags... Not in our junior suite..make sure all treats are include with your room. If considering this hotel do not stay in the junior suite. The beach front rooms look nicer.

On the other hand the service at the hotel is lovely. All staff try hard to make your stay enjoyable. The dinner at the beach restaurant is outstanding. Food is of a high standard and the wine list is extensive and reasonably priced. The pool is pleasant and the sunbeds nice with adequate shade. The bar staff make great cocktails and give you complimentary treats of fruit skewers and frozen fruit. Iced water is also provided. Great if you can tolerate the old, scratched plastic tumblers you are given.. Really they are not too expensive to replace. Also the water feature near the breakfast/ bar area needs a good clean up. It is very dirty and after six nights at the hotel I didn't see anyone clean or maintain this area.
The beach location is great. We had a lovely time exploring the nearby beach restaurants and watching the busy beach crowds. There are a variety of shops along the Main Street in front of the hotel. Taxis are cheap and easily available on the road outside the hotel. Don't get the hotel to arrange a taxi as they will charge double to arrange a pickup.
We went on a few tours.. Rampant sailing, Devs kayaking..both excellent and well worth it. We also went to on the evening walk, arranged by the hotel. To our surprise we were taken to the Berjaya to walk around their resort! We saw lots of night animals.. Lemurs, mircrobats, large geckoes and a variety of birds.
The beauty of Langkawi as a destination lies in the rainforest areas. I highly recommend you stay in a hotel that reflects this aspect of the island.

Room Tip: Stay in the beachside rooms.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
6 Thank b0nditraveller
TomBlachere, General Manager at Casa del Mar, Langkawi, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear Guests

Thank you for taking the time to give us your detailed feedback following your recent stay at Casa del Mar.
Feedback is always greatly appreciated and helps us to constantly strive to improve our services.

Having said so I would like to clarify with you and our readers:

Junior suites are located upstairs and the access is from the road side although not from the road, there is aisle separated from the street with a garden and a wall from the sidewalk.

If the pool and sun lounge fitted towels are left in front of the door it is because either the room is having its “Do not disturb sign” or when the laundry comes back to us too late to disturb our guests (which was the case during Chinese New Year week unfortunately). We have overcome this issue and maintenance related ones since this review was posted.

WiFi Internet access has been simplified with one simple common login for all your devices.

I personally tell our guests to come and see us immediately should anything goes wrong or should anything can be done to make one’s stay more comfortable. As most people do we also have a limited number of holiday throughout the year and understand how important it is to have a good time off! In addition a chance is given to us to make it up to you!

Rest assured I have taken note of all your comments and all efforts are placed in rectifying our shortfalls.

I very much regret the inconvenience you experienced and sincerely hope it did not mar your overall opinion of the hotel and that it will not deter you from returning and staying with us on your future visits.

Please do email me at tom.blachere@casadelmar-langkawi.com should you decide to give us another opportunity to make it up to you and I will definitely ensure that you will have a memorable and enchanting experience.

Best wishes and regards
Tom
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 30, 2014

In January 2014 we did 4 nights KL, 3 nights at Casa Del Mar, 4 nights in Ko Lipe, 3 nights in Ko Mook and 4 nights in Ko Lanta. Casa Del Mar was without doubt the best hotel of them all. Rooms were gorgeous. We stayed in Bamboo upstairs. Staff couldn't do enough also and provided the best service out of all of the islands we went to after. They were very friendly without being intrusive. Upon arrival we were escorted to our rooms where the facilities etc were explained. This was a trip to celebrate 2 x 40th birthdays an a 37th birthday and was just magical. The breakfasts were gorgeous, we had lunch a couple of times as well as an evening meal which were also gorgeous. We used the TV room to watch an early morning Football match which just made the mens holiday even more perfect. We were very sad to leave. Would recommend this place to anyone and would go back in a heartbeat. Maybe for my 40th in 3 years. Thanks you Casa Del Mar for making our holiday so memorable x

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Stabbkar
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience which is shared with the team.
We are delighted you loved it and look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

Casa del Mar is hands down one of my favorite places I've ever stayed. The beach is stunning with sunbeds and umbrellas, but not crowded. The water is the most spectacular greenish color and the islands in the distance give an amazing view. The hotel is well-designed and lovely. The breakfast is delicious with fabulous warm pastries and a large selection of items to please most people, and is eaten looking at the beautiful beach. The bar is lively and makes delicious cocktails (especially mango caipirinhas with fresh mango). The restaurant is excellent with inventive, well-made food that you eat with your feet in the powdery white soft sand. There are numerous other drinking and dining options a short walk away, either on the beach or the road. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful with any request you might have (including for a number of excursions they have to book for you) and the rooms are very pleasant - even ours that wasn't beachfront was spacious, nicely decorated and had a terrific view.

Driving there is also very easy and renting a car is a great way to see the rest if the island, though it was wonderful how centrally located this hotel is.

We went in July, so maybe the prices were a little lower than for those that went around the holidays, but we still paid more than $250 per night and it was more than worth it.

In response to a few of the complaints I've read, it's true, if you want to be on your cell phone or have 24/7 email access, if you need your bed linens changed every day, and if 5 star service by name is the most important thing to you, yes, you might be better off at a large, chain resort that caters to business needs and has a platinum points program. But if you want to spend your vacation in an unpretentious, stunning location with great food and friendly staff who take care of you when you need but otherwise let you relax, then I can't think if a better place than Casa del Mar.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank ascott375
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to write this long review indeed!
You have truly made our day.
I hope we will have the opportunity to welcoming you again in the future.

Queensland
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Amazing hotel with great service and lots of charming touches. The General Manager is obviously a stickler for perfection because there were little things provided like a scented mist spray for hot days and cool thongs for the beach. The only reason I didn't rate the hotel at five stars is that we were both ill after a meal at the restaurant. Given the restaurant was one of the main attractions for us (it came highly recommended by CNN colleagues), we were horribly disappointed. However, the rest of our stay was perfection and we would be back.

Room Tip: Any of the rooms are great but perhaps go for a beachside suite to avoid being around the pool.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ajvasey
Dear Guests,

I hope this finds you well and that you had a safe and relaxing trip back home.
I am delighted to read you enjoyed your time at Casa and also concerned about the allegations made in regards to our food and your illness.

We wish we could have had the chance to be aware of it for further investigation. We take this matter very seriously. We have strict hygiene procedures and as I live on site, I myself eat from the hotel's menu every single day for the last four years. So far I have not encountered any issue. I absolutely do not deny the fact you were ill, also by experience it is known that other factors else than food could have caused your illness i.e prolonged stay at sun.

Please do email me at tom.blachere@casadelmar-langkawi.com I would be pleased to hear more details about it.

I very much regret the inconvenience you experienced and sincerely hope that this incident did not mar your overall opinion of the hotel and that it will not deter you from returning and staying with us on your future visits.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pantai Cenang
Tanjung Rhu Resort
Tanjung Rhu Resort
#8 of 104 in Langkawi
Four Seasons Resort Langkawi, Malaysia

Been to Casa del Mar, Langkawi? Share your experiences!